Date: 25-04-24  Time: 07:12 am

Author Topic: Cat "C"  (Read 2197 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Cat "C"
« on: 25 June 2012, 06:54:05 pm »
Ok i thought i would start a new thread as it relates to the question of CAT "C" rather than my off.
I was knocked off through no fault of my own and the other side have been to see the bike and declaired it a CAT "C" write off.
est for repairs on a gen 1 1000 2004 was £4492 inc vat and labour
value of said bike is marked down at £3722 and they wont budge and will only cat C it :(
going to fight this and try to get it repaired so my pride and joy isnt tagged a writeoff for the rest of its hopefully long life. but i doubt im going to win the battle.

SO on to my question....
Whats the deal with getting a cat c fixed and back on the road? given the chance i will buy the bike back and fix it up as it has so many extras added to it.
where do i stand legaly doing this? is it hard to do? do i need an inspection etc? am i gunna get hit on a loaded insurance?

that type of thing. must be some of you done this in the past :)

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Cat "C"
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2012, 07:32:24 pm »
Cat C can be repaired however it will require an inspection along with certificates once its repaired to check its road worthty.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2012, 07:55:47 pm »
Cat C can be repaired however it will require an inspection along with certificates once its repaired to check its road worthty.
that only counts for a car,no inspection required on a bike

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2012, 08:02:21 pm »
Yeah i been trying to look it up online and it gets very confusing as most info seems to be from forums.... mo disrespect to forums but are offten filled with views rather than facts.

VIC is needed for a cat C car, but it dosent say anything about bikes.
even on a car it can still be driven without the vic as long as its mot'd and taxed /insured
so with luck i can throw on a new tyre and mudguard (the only things other than paint that were damaged) and ride her untill i can fully sort out the rest of the leggal crap.

will ask more tomorrow when i speak to the advisor, they are bound to have up to date info

Andrew

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2012, 08:15:26 pm »
Got knocked off one of mine last year, put down as a cat C. No inspection is required for it to get back on the road, rebuild and off ye go

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2012, 08:24:09 pm »
mind is racing away like a steam train now lol
I could throw a new tyre and mudguard on (allready have the OE mudguard in the cupboard) and flog it on for 2k+ ish then add in the money from the insurance and im getting to 5k+
opens a lot of bike doors :)
1050 ST, Bussa, FZ1

mine was so well sorted though with ivans, Ktec forks and nitron rear etc that it would be a shame to let it go.
arg my head hurts lol

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2012, 08:32:37 pm »
the only thing to remember ghostbiker?...is if you do ever come round to selling it you must declare to buyer it was cat c,...i know this from experience with a gpz kawasaki i bought?....ide had it 2yrs not knowing it was on register? when i went to dealers to part ex ,i was then told when he doing a hpi about it being cat c?......i would have lost alot of money but found out that i had a leagal claim against the seller?...with him not disclosing about being a cat c!!.... i ended up getting all my money back and thats after using it for 2yrs!!!!!! :rolleyes ...it is worth doing though?....ive done a couple in the past?...you,l get everything you need off ebay!.. has long as you sure frames not bent and everything is running true !,,,you,l be fine. when i did mine i just went to normal mot  station had normal mot and rode away?...nobody told me any different!!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2012, 08:53:11 pm »
mind is racing away like a steam train now lol
I could throw a new tyre and mudguard on (allready have the OE mudguard in the cupboard) and flog it on for 2k+ ish then add in the money from the insurance and im getting to 5k+
opens a lot of bike doors :)
1050 ST, Bussa, FZ1

mine was so well sorted though with ivans, Ktec forks and nitron rear etc that it would be a shame to let it go.
arg my head hurts lol

I suspect that that is a nice head ache to have, so no sympathy form me. ;)
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2012, 10:53:55 pm »
My 600 was declared a Cat C after me falling off on some diesel. Bought it back and repaired it myself, only thing the Insurers wanted was a new MOT before getting back on the road.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2012, 09:51:07 am »
Well, spoken to the repair ppl today and it looks like i will recive a cheuqe in a few days to a week for £3352 + my bike returned to me 7 days affter (they deducted £373 from the total)
they THINK the insurance will just want a new MOT on the bike but that depends on the insurance company.
sadly the bike WILL be cat C as the total repair cost was more than the value of the bike (if the repair cost is less then it would have been cat D)

but as all it needs to be road worthy is a new front tyre and a front mudguard a new mot will be a no problem at all to get. the rest is just very minor scratchs and a slight crack below the fairing indicator.
with luck i will only be without wheels for a couple of days at most.

once back on the road i can take my time to decide if i want to respray it or keep as is or sell on and buy a new toy. right now i am leaning toward just keeping it and maybe getting it resprayed at some point as i love it so much the way i have it now.

just need to find out for sure from the insurance ppl what they want and if it will raise insurance again..... knowing them it will of course and a fee for doing it to lol

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2012, 10:15:25 am »
Fuck it, i knew it was to good to be true lol
My insurance Motorcycle Direct (Groupama is the actual underwriters) wont insure a Cat "C" so even though i have in the last few days had to change my insurance to allow going to work and back at a cost of over £60 i cant even use it on my bike.
fuckers
now i have to wait untill the claim has been settled in full (could be several months by the time the full claim including gear like helm etc is sorted) before they will let me end the policy
and acording to them i cant re insure it with anyone else while this insurance is running. (though i think they are wrong on that)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2012, 03:21:38 pm »
An alternative is try and source a frame and log book that isn't written off.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2012, 04:59:30 pm »
Could you pick up a stock replacement to move your mods over to?
thou shalt not kick

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
Could you pick up a stock replacement to move your mods over to?

This is one of the options im looking in to, its looking like the best one to if i can find a realy good one for a good price.
the real trouble is i cant get mine back on the road stright away so even though they would have paid out on the bike and me brought it back i wont have transport as they take the hire bike back once they pay out on the bike.
so much hassel just because some numpty cant drive