Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Starter cut off or....?

(1/2) > >>

Fubar byker:
Hey all, so I've been looking through some of the old posts to do with the same issue I'm having - no spark - and I think I've narrowed down the problem but have a couple of questions.

1. the initial clicking/ticking you hear when the key is turned (button NOT pressed), is this the starter circuit cut off/fuel pump relay?

2. testing resistance on the ignition coils - primary - the Haynes manual states the reading should be between 1.87 - 2.53ohm. I'm getting 3.5 on both coils and according to the book, they need replacing but I've seen a few people saying that reading is ok?

3. what is the most likely cause of no spark? I don't have the funds to start replacing loads of bits.
I have checked:
battery is charged and holding full charge;
new plugs;
plug caps and coils HT leads are testing fine;
fuses are all good;
earths are good as far as I can tell;
starter motor is turning over and solenoid is clicking as it should;
pick up coil is fine (even though the manual gives the wrong colour wires!);
checked connector blocks and all seem fine - no corrosion and tightly connected.

I'm about to test continuity on pretty much everything and carry out the tests for the starter cut off/fuel pump relay as per the book but I think it's that that is causing the problem (very limited knowledge but logically thinking...)

Sorry it's a lot to take in but I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing

All lights on dash are n, horn and lights work and engine turns over.

Cheers.....anyone!

BBROWN1664:
the initial clicking is the fuel pump.

If the engine is turning over, here are a few things iot wont be before people suggest otherwise.
- Kill switch
- side stand switch
- clutch switch

For the coil resistance, if you are seeing the same on both coils, chances are they are fine, its just your meter accuracy thats out.
have you got both coils connected on the low tension side? could be a bad earth if you are not getting a spark on any plug. If its not a bad earth, it will be something else thats common to both coils like the ECU

unfazed:
It could be a faulty ignition switch.  Check for continuity between the Black and Blue yellow wires in the ignition switch when the switch is turned on.

Fubar byker:
Cheers for the replies so far.
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the Haynes manual cos they give the wrong colour wires in the text compared to what I physically have and what they have in the diagram!

BBROWN1664:

--- Quote from: Fubar byker on 19 February 2024, 01:26:01 pm ---Cheers for the replies so far.
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the Haynes manual

--- End quote ---

Go to the downloads section on this forum and you will find the Yamaha official wiring diagrams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version