Date: 30-04-24  Time: 15:46 pm

Author Topic: Respraying frame and tank fzs 600 98  (Read 440 times)

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Respraying frame and tank fzs 600 98
« on: 12 June 2023, 10:52:16 pm »
Hey im currently restoring my fazer and i was putting petrol into my tank when i spilled some and it destroyed all the paintwork.. ive been looking online and it seems 2k clear coats are the way to go for petrol resistance. does anyone have any recommendations for my from their own experience? also do you think i should spray the frame with the same stuff as I assume some petrol with inevitably get onto it, but should I bother with any of the fairings or fenders etc? thanks

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Respraying frame and tank fzs 600 98
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2023, 10:55:42 pm »
ive also prayed the engine with heat resistant paint, Ive heard it becomes resistant from petrol and oil once its gotten warmed up from the engine? is that true? id assume paint marketed for engines would be oil and petrol resistant but could be mistaken

RobG UK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2023, 06:39:32 pm »
paint takes time to cure.  Even in the car factories, paint can be damaged by things like masking tape and water before they get to the end of the line.  About 1 1/2 days,
 and thats with serious amounts of baking.  Look after it for a while and hope for the best.  Wouldn't powder coating be better for the frame though?

Frasier

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - YZF750R, TT600R, YZ250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2023, 09:28:06 am »
Last year I did a complete paint job, so while my memory is fresh, a couple of advices:

Engine enamel will be cured with heat from the engine (do not cook it too high, though). If you used the proper stuff, you're good to go. I used Motip Engine Paint, it seems to hold.

Tank paint: Did you use simple 1k acrylic paint from a spray can? There's a chance it never really will be fuel resistant. You can try to overcoat it with clear spray lacquer, but it will not adhere well, if it's not done while the original paint is fresh (ie. clear coat it in 1-2 hours after painting). If the original paint is non-metallic, you can roughen it a little with sanding (ie. 800-1000 grit) and then overcoat it with clear.

Proper solution is a 2k car paint, either from a spray can, or applied with spray gun. That will be cured properly and will be totally fuel and oil resistant in couple of days. Obviously I you want metallic, that will be a base + clear coat job.

One more thing: I've seen 1k acrylic paint sprays labeled "2k". The proper 2k (2 component) paint is 1 part paint + 1 part hardener (non 1:1 ratio in reality), which must be mixed before use. In spray can format there's a little red cap, which contains the hardener, you mix it in by pushing the red cap.
The fake 2k paint (or simple 1k acrylic paint) is 1 part paint + solvent, which will evaporate on apply, but these paints won't be "cured", instead "dried" only, hence the low resistance against chemicals.