Date: 30-04-24  Time: 18:25 pm

Author Topic: Fuel Sensor\sender unit compatibility  (Read 733 times)

Sqwim

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Fuel Sensor\sender unit compatibility
« on: 08 June 2023, 10:08:28 am »
Hi - hoping someone can help.

Have an 2002 FZS 600, recently got back on the road after a (ahem) 9 year hiatus in the garage (kids, family stuff, life etc).  Fixed various issues including new immobilser, rusty tank (thanks to some some interesting electrolysis videos on YouTube!), new fuel hose, added some Redex to the tank and balanced thr carbs... she runs really quite well coinsidering the neglect.

One thing I'm struggling to resolve is that the fuel sensor came to pieces during the project.  Not a big issue, don't really need one as long as I remember a manual check regularly.  However the ornage low fuel light is permanently on which is distracting and, while I could stick some tape over it, a new sensor would be preferable.  Only they're like rocking horse manure and stupidly expensive.

Does anyone know whether the fuel sensor\sender unit from an FZS1000 would be compatible?  They look to be similar and are available at far more reasonable prices!

Thanks in advance
Sqwim

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Sensor\sender unit compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2023, 10:13:09 am »
Fzs1000 and 600 use different senders. Did you  remove the unit from the tank and look at it. They can go loose on the shaft and pushing a small spring washer in on the shaft further usually works. I have had to do it on a few of them. What I did is here.  https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=67

Sqwim

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2023, 12:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I did hit a very similar issue with the spring clip at the other end of the float bar that holds the float in place - replaced that thinking that was job done but then realised that the PCB\wipers\soldered assembly had deteriorated also.  Didn't manage to revive them.

Shame about the non-compatibility with the FZS1000.  Seems black electrical tape will be my friend unless I find a non-stupidly priced sender!

Thanks

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2023, 10:50:32 pm »
 :thumbup Unfortunately is seems unique to the Foxeye, however the sender from the xjr1300 carb models is similar and takes the same gasket so would probably fit, but you would need to change the  the float bar with you own
« Last Edit: 12 June 2023, 10:51:52 pm by unfazed »

Sqwim

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2023, 08:55:30 pm »
Will dig out the old bits I kept somewhere and keep an eye out for one of those.

Thanks