Date: 30-04-24  Time: 12:59 pm

Author Topic: Hyperpro spring  (Read 663 times)

Ratters

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hyperpro spring
« on: 13 May 2023, 10:30:09 am »
I’m considering replacing standard rear shock spring with a Hyperpro, the bikes done 51000 miles and I’m going to be carrying luggage on it too.  The other option is the less favourable but potentially better YSS total rear shock replacement. Anyone out there with these mods can shine a light on?
Also the forks , I’m going to change oil to 15w but is it worth putting in progressive springs too?
Thanks for any help

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperpro spring
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2023, 11:05:42 am »
Not sure what springs I have in my forks, as a I bought a used pair years ago?
But what I do know is that the 15w slightly heavier oil makes a very pleasant difference up front and is highly recommended.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2023, 12:03:21 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2023, 07:19:59 pm »
I've got Hagon progressives and 15W. Much better than standard (in my opinion)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2023, 08:10:35 pm »
I have the FZ6 and replaced the fork springs with Hyperpro progressives and the rear with a YSS which has definitely improved the handling.

My only issue is that Hyperpro supply 15W oil with the forks but as I only weigh 62kg that's too heavy for me, especially in cold weather (it's better when things warm up and it flows a bit more quickly), so I'm going to replace it with a lighter weight at some point.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2023, 08:50:22 pm »
I've got Hagon progressives and 15W. Much better than standard (in my opinion)

Did you try the 15w oil first, or change the springs at the same time?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2023, 11:28:56 pm »
Did you try the 15w oil first, or change the springs at the same time?
Done (ages ago) together. I think I remember Hagon supply the oil as part of the kit.
Put a Hagon rear on first, which improved the knackered back end enormously. So went for the front too. 25k miles later, both still good.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2023, 12:08:02 pm »
I’m considering replacing standard rear shock spring with a Hyperpro, the bikes done 51000 miles and I’m going to be carrying luggage on it too.  The other option is the less favourable but potentially better YSS total rear shock replacement. Anyone out there with these mods can shine a light on?
Also the forks , I’m going to change oil to 15w but is it worth putting in progressive springs too?
Thanks for any help

If i was you i would try the oil upgrade first, on its own, and see what you think as it may be enough for your needs.

Frasier

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - YZF750R, TT600R, YZ250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2023, 11:34:42 am »
Proud owner of a rear YSS here. Highly recommended.

Regarding the front: I know I'm spoiled with my several Öhlins equipped road and race bikes, but I would never do the good old "just progressive springs + thicker oil" treatment. This don't make the front "better", only stiffer. There are fork valves (emulators), could be installed with a little mechanical knowledge, and they're the best things (on the budget) what can happen to these damper rod forks. YSS have the proper sized fork valves for the FZS600. Forget progressive springs, put in linears, for your weight. Progressivity must be adjusted with oil level.

My FZS on YSS suspension front and rear behaves very good on the road, plush, but don't collapses on hard braking or uneven tarmac. I was surprised how good it is. Recommend to put a cable tie on the right fork tube to check the fork travel.
Happy tinkering!