Date: 30-04-24  Time: 18:43 pm

Author Topic: swapped out the Fazers camshafts for ones from the thundercat today.  (Read 1261 times)

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
upon swapping the camshafts over, I had realised that the exhaust cam was advanced by 1 tooth lol. no wonder it sounded like it had a burble tune.

rest assured all went well, if you are looking to do this then make sure you swap the camshaft sprockets over and that's it. also the timing is tricky as the timing marks are different but you can keep the original timing of the Fazer for low end.torque with a bit of oomph but timed for high end it will just zoom away.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
what year of thundercat cams are compatible with 98 fzs 600?

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
what year of thundercat cams are compatible with 98 fzs 600?
any year. all the same.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website

you can keep the original timing of the Fazer for low end.torque with a bit of oomph but timed for high end it will just zoom away.

did you dyno the bike before and after? Does it really make a difference or is it wishful thinking?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile

you can keep the original timing of the Fazer for low end.torque with a bit of oomph but timed for high end it will just zoom away.

did you dyno the bike before and after? Does it really make a difference or is it wishful thinking?
no Dyno but it definitely tries to power wheelie like never before especially on 2nd and 3rd

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
thinking about try this, how does one know what is the correct timing if the marks dont line up? thanks

Mike_2002

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

I'm glad I saw this post, I have a pair of Thundercat cams, now just need to sort rest of bike out and see how it goes.

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind removing the tank, side covers, battery, airbox, spark caps, carbs, head cover to show you what my timing looks like

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
you could just remove the ht leads and the valve cover, you shouldnt need to remove everything, if you could I would greatly appreciate it as I am seriously considering it and the only thing holding me back is worry about the timing and the fact I dont know how its supposed to look with the thundercat cams. thanks  :thumbup

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
you could just remove the ht leads and the valve cover, you shouldnt need to remove everything, if you could I would greatly appreciate it as I am seriously considering it and the only thing holding me back is worry about the timing and the fact I dont know how its supposed to look with the thundercat cams. thanks 
wel you would need the fuel tank off to get to the head cover bolts (which is unbolted in a Criss cross pattern starting from outwards and making your way inwards (but opposite direction when installing)) and you'll need the carbs pushed upwards (you don't need to remove the carbs, just undo the clamps and push it up) this is needed to get to the camchain tensioner.

TL DR:
fuel tank off for head bolt access and carbs pushed up for camchain tensioner access.

I currently commute almost everyday to the airport since I'm a pilot in training which should finish in about 2 months so I could take pictures when that's all completed but let me check if I have some old pictures, I will check and upload them later if I find any

basher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: swapped out the Fazers camshafts for ones from the thundercat today.
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2023, 09:35:20 pm »
curious why you need tensioner access?

benzimo_

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
Re: swapped out the Fazers camshafts for ones from the thundercat today.
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2023, 10:40:33 pm »
curious why you need tensioner access?
to be able to remove the old camshaft