Date: 25-04-24  Time: 21:35 pm

Author Topic: newbie from hampshire saying hello  (Read 1326 times)

oli wiseman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
newbie from hampshire saying hello
« on: 24 December 2021, 10:22:08 pm »
Hi all  picked up this mint gen1 fazer 1000 in the summer and 4000 miles later im loving more than any newer bike ive owned !   just thought id say hi !  next thing on the list for the old girl is a full suspension upgrade at mct in january  :D  anyone else local to hampshire ?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: newbie from hampshire saying hello
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2021, 10:32:25 am »
Welcome to the forum. Nice clean thou you've managed to find :thumbup . Not local to Hampshire but often get down to Loomies and The Haven.
MCT's a very good choice to get the suspension sorted. Darren will do a top job.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2021, 11:57:38 am »
Hi and welcome!

I'm in Portsmouth :thumbup

I can also be found on Rides with the local IAM group: https://www.iamroadsmartsolent.org.uk/ (shameless plug ;) )

oli wiseman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2021, 01:48:10 pm »
ah brilliant stufff yes ive just joined tvam so going to be doing my advanced licence on the fazer this year

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2021, 10:42:07 pm »
Excellent! :thumbup

I presume you're in the north of the county?

oli wiseman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2021, 11:33:19 pm »
Im outskirts of basingstoke so yeah tvam was my assigned district , looking forward to getting started ! have come from more modern bikes (s1000r, cb1000r) and originally bought the fazer as a stop gap whilst i sold my off roader i had at the time. but ive enjoyed this bike so much rather than spend out to buy a more modern bike  ill keep this and treat it to a suspension upgrade. very happy !

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2021, 10:37:56 am »
Ah, fair enough.

I upgraded the suspension on my FZ6 to Hyperpro progressive fork springs and a YSS rear shock which improved the handling a lot :thumbup

oli wiseman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2021, 04:14:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Nice clean thou you've managed to find :thumbup . Not local to Hampshire but often get down to Loomies and The Haven.
MCT's a very good choice to get the suspension sorted. Darren will do a top job.

thanks ! loomies is one of my regular stops too   need to check out the haven, ah good to know re mct, im hoping i can get the fazer to feel as plush and well supported as a modern bike. i think after riding the bike back to back i totally understand the harsh compression damping on the stock thou suspension to compensate for soft springs. it feels very choppy in comparions but less supportive under load at the same time  if that makes sense? do you think im asking too much of older tech suspension to realistaclly achieve this with a full mct upgrade front and rear ?
thanks very much

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2021, 04:46:49 pm »
The work that Darren will do on the forks will certainly be a transformation. Any decent shock sprung to suit your weight will sort out the rear. Obviously shocks aren't cheap but the result is certainly worth the outlay, especially if the Fazers a keeper. Darren will certainly give you excellent advice if there's any choices to be made. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

oli wiseman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2021, 10:54:14 pm »
The work that Darren will do on the forks will certainly be a transformation. Any decent shock sprung to suit your weight will sort out the rear. Obviously shocks aren't cheap but the result is certainly worth the outlay, especially if the Fazers a keeper. Darren will certainly give you excellent advice if there's any choices to be made. :thumbup

thanks for the advice, bikes defo a keeper, i love its versatility only modern sports tourer i could compare it to in my mind is the ninja1000sx which i rode the other week. and whilst i thought it was a fantastic bike i couldnt help but think with sorted suspension my fazer will perform in the real world as well especially when you consider itll owe me around 3k when fully sorted.

in the summer ive decided im going to try and find a same colour 2003 r1 to go with it as a bit of a collection lol, thats if the piggy bank allows  :)