Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:20 am

Author Topic: Total loss FZ1  (Read 1130 times)

NathFZ1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Total loss FZ1
« on: 22 December 2021, 01:09:15 pm »
So I bought an FZ1 a few months ago and recently passed my test. Two weeks ago a van driver didn't see me and pulled out of a junction and drove into me. I was going about 18 or 19mph and he hit me on the left hand side and the bike fell over, on top of me, on the right. His insurance company have accepted liability and collected the bike and sorted me with a courtesy car etc.

They've had one assessor look at the bike who has said its a total loss. The insurance company are sending another next week. I really disagree its a total loss and I really want my bike back and repaired. The gear lever on the left has snapped off from the impact and the tank is dented a bit as well as some scratching to the front right side fairing and exhaust but there is no way the repairs are more than 75% of the value of the bike. The front brake lever is also bent.

I really want my bike back and repaired so wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what to do next? From what I've seen online it looks like the insurance company will say its a total loss in most cases even with very minor damage?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Total loss FZ1
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2021, 01:44:14 pm »
BRake lever bent could equal bent bars too.
Gear lever snapped, did it damage the selector shaft - could be an engine out rebuild etc
Tank dented - replace and repaint = £750+ on its own if you can even get a new tank anymore (this reason alone can write it off)

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

NathFZ1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2021, 01:53:04 pm »
Thanks for this the dent in the tank is really small and the gear lever bracket has just snapped. I think the selector shaft is still fine as the gear lever snapped on impact but the van must have been going no more than 6 or 7 mph. I've taken a picture of the bike from the front and the bars look fine. The repairs would have to be less than around £2500 for them to consider it being economic to write off. The dent in the tank is really small and im not even sure if it is the actual tank as it is around the right side of the back near the join with the right hand fairing. Just wondered if it's worth pushing them to repair and any other options. I really want my bike back...
« Last Edit: 22 December 2021, 01:56:17 pm by NathFZ1 »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2021, 02:04:01 pm »
Trouble with older bikes is the low value against brand new parts. Insurance companies will often write-off well below 100% of the value.
What you can do, if you are fairly confident that it's not badly damaged is to agree the write-off value then offer to buy it back off them as salvage (for as low a price you can get away with). Then repair to the standard you can put up with. If it does turn out to be worse than you thought, you can usually get your salvage money back by breaking for spares. That's how the insurance company would sell it to a breaker anyway.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2021, 02:41:00 pm »
Until you accept their offer it's not their bike to dispose of surely.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2021, 05:15:57 pm »
Ask for a cash in lieu settlement , you keep the bike and the insurance pay you a percentage of the repairs, you can then source 2nd hand parts, and as others have said until you're paid out its still your bike.
Mark :)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2021, 09:17:32 am »
I seen a fair bit of this over the years, owners get really upset when this happens as they just see bent this and that.  The insurance company sees total cost and as pointed out new parts prices can easily wipe out the total value of a bike, not to mention labour costs.  I've seen many a 6k plus bike written off with nothing more than heavily scuffed, fairing panels, bent bars, scratched end can etc.

Without looking at the bike, it's hard to say what is actually damaged, but its rare they are a total write off Cat A or B.  Most bikes written off fall into either Cat C, Can be repaired, but it would cost more than the vehicle’s worth or Cat D, Can be repaired and would cost less than the vehicle’s worth, but other costs (such as transporting your vehicle) take it over the vehicle’s value.  Two other Cat are S and N these are just repairables i.e. broken headlight etc. 

Find out what Cat yours is. If it's C or D you can buy it as salvage e.g. the value of the bike is 4k, total cost repair is 6k, salvage is 3k for spares or repair to road.  You want the bike they, deduct 3k from the 4k they give you the bike plus 1k, if the parts are less and you do the work yourself chance are you'll not spend all the 1k.

Now this is where the haggling starts, you now want as higher value as possible e.g. 4k, they'll value your bike at 2.5k.  If the price of parts new or old are more than the difference you are out of pocket.  Generally reject the first offer, possible the second, they just want shot of it but for minimal cost, do your sums set the limit and play the game.  Generally you can get a really good result.   

Word of caution, you've got to know exactly what the damage is and you can get access, it's your property until you agree to accept it's written off.   

The other side of the coin is if you can get say 4 or 4.5k as a write off.  You should be able to find another without too much difficulty, without all the hassle.

Good luck lets us know how you get on.
Later