Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Rear Brake problem?

<< < (2/4) > >>

teecee90:
When I refurbed my brakes, just as an experiment I "primed" them by putting a small amount of brake fluid in each calliper cylinder before replacing the pistons. Seemed to do the job as it was relatively easy to bleed the brakes afterwards. May be worth a try next time.

WayneUK:

--- Quote from: Gnasher on 18 September 2021, 09:31:32 am ---
--- Quote from: WayneUK on 18 September 2021, 09:03:44 am ---I took the back caliper off to clean it and put new pistons in , when i put it back on and tried to bleed them there is no fluid being sucked through so took banjo bolt back of to see if it was pumping through but nothing is being pumped through even out of the hole where the banjo bolt goes through?
Theirs always a reason i take things off lol :rolleyes

--- End quote ---

I see, you've got an airlock.  Push the pistons all the way back into the caliper, open the bleed nipple, fill the master cylinder and wait until the fluid starts to drip out the bleed nipple.  Once it does, bleed them as normal. ;)

--- End quote ---
do i open both bleed nipples or do them one at a time?
Also I got 2 wiper seals with the kit and I dont know what there for? I got it from wemoto https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/03/picture/brake_piston_and_seal_kit_stainless_steel_rear_-_by_trk

Gnasher:

--- Quote from: WayneUK on 18 September 2021, 12:45:06 pm ---do i open both bleed nipples or do them one at a time?
Also I got 2 wiper seals with the kit and I dont know what there for? I got it from wemoto https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/03/picture/brake_piston_and_seal_kit_stainless_steel_rear_-_by_trk

--- End quote ---

Open both until the fluid drips out.  Nip them up and then bleed the inner one first, then the outer.

Wiper seals, no idea, their made up names is my guess.  Each caliper has 2 seals the thicker and flatish surface one is the main seal and goes in the lower and wider rebate.  The thinner one with small peaks is the dust seal and that goes in the thinner higher rebate.     

WayneUK:

--- Quote from: Gnasher on 18 September 2021, 01:02:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: WayneUK on 18 September 2021, 12:45:06 pm ---do i open both bleed nipples or do them one at a time?

--- End quote ---

Open both until the fluid drips out.  Nip them up and then bleed the inner one first, then the outer.

Wiper seals, no idea, their made up names is my guess.  Each caliper has 2 seals the thicker and flatish surface one is the main seal and goes in the lower and wider rebate.  The thinner one with small peaks is the dust seal and that goes in the thinner higher rebate.   

--- End quote ---
Ok thanks I will try, so the wiper seal things are not used for the caliper or anything?

Gnasher:

--- Quote from: WayneUK on 18 September 2021, 04:50:56 pm ---Ok thanks I will try, so the wiper seal things are not used for the caliper or anything?
--- End quote ---

As stated above, I can only assume that's what they have called the main seal. 

I'm not really sure quite what you've done.  You've said you've bought a caliper rebuild kit and that you've replaced the pistons, but can't get get the caliper to bleed.  Which suggests to me you've already done the work? But you're also suggesting these wiper seals, which can only be the main seal based on the list from the webpage you provided the link too. Haven't been fitted?

Have you not replaced any seals but just the pistons?  Or only replaced the dust seal (thinner) and left the old main seal in? Or have you only replaced the dust seal (thinner) and taken the old main seal out and not put back a new main seal?   

Why did you replace the pistons?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version