Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:15 pm

Author Topic: Rear Brake problem?  (Read 2181 times)

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear Brake problem?
« on: 17 September 2021, 07:51:51 pm »
cant seem to bleed the brakes, when i remove the banjo bolt and pump the rear brake should brake fluid come out cause all i can hear is air coming out?? and no fluid?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Brake problem?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2021, 07:36:46 am »
Mate you don't remove or open the banjo bolt to bleed the brake line.  Why are you removing the banjo bolt and pumping the brake pedal?

Answer to your question is yes the fluid will drain/pump out as you operate the pedal, air will also be sucked in.
Later

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2021, 09:03:44 am »
I took the back caliper off to clean it and put new pistons in , when i put it back on and tried to bleed them there is no fluid being sucked through so took banjo bolt back of to see if it was pumping through but nothing is being pumped through even out of the hole where the banjo bolt goes through?
Theirs always a reason i take things off lol :rolleyes

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2021, 09:31:32 am »
I took the back caliper off to clean it and put new pistons in , when i put it back on and tried to bleed them there is no fluid being sucked through so took banjo bolt back of to see if it was pumping through but nothing is being pumped through even out of the hole where the banjo bolt goes through?

I see, you've got an airlock.  Push the pistons all the way back into the caliper, open the bleed nipple, fill the master cylinder and wait until the fluid starts to drip out the bleed nipple.  Once it does, bleed them as normal. ;)
Later

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2021, 09:35:16 am »
Don't forget there are 2 bleed nipples on the rear calliper if you're working on one the other will need to be done up tight.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2021, 12:13:14 pm »
When I refurbed my brakes, just as an experiment I "primed" them by putting a small amount of brake fluid in each calliper cylinder before replacing the pistons. Seemed to do the job as it was relatively easy to bleed the brakes afterwards. May be worth a try next time.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2021, 12:45:06 pm »

I see, you've got an airlock.  Push the pistons all the way back into the caliper, open the bleed nipple, fill the master cylinder and wait until the fluid starts to drip out the bleed nipple.  Once it does, bleed them as normal. ;)
do i open both bleed nipples or do them one at a time?
Also I got 2 wiper seals with the kit and I dont know what there for? I got it from wemoto https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/03/picture/brake_piston_and_seal_kit_stainless_steel_rear_-_by_trk
« Last Edit: 18 September 2021, 12:52:30 pm by WayneUK »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2021, 01:02:10 pm »
Also I got 2 wiper seals with the kit and I dont know what there for? I got it from wemoto https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/03/picture/brake_piston_and_seal_kit_stainless_steel_rear_-_by_trk

Open both until the fluid drips out.  Nip them up and then bleed the inner one first, then the outer.

Wiper seals, no idea, their made up names is my guess.  Each caliper has 2 seals the thicker and flatish surface one is the main seal and goes in the lower and wider rebate.  The thinner one with small peaks is the dust seal and that goes in the thinner higher rebate.     
Later

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 04:50:56 pm »

Open both until the fluid drips out.  Nip them up and then bleed the inner one first, then the outer.

Wiper seals, no idea, their made up names is my guess.  Each caliper has 2 seals the thicker and flatish surface one is the main seal and goes in the lower and wider rebate.  The thinner one with small peaks is the dust seal and that goes in the thinner higher rebate.   
Ok thanks I will try, so the wiper seal things are not used for the caliper or anything?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2021, 05:27:20 pm »
Ok thanks I will try, so the wiper seal things are not used for the caliper or anything?

As stated above, I can only assume that's what they have called the main seal. 

I'm not really sure quite what you've done.  You've said you've bought a caliper rebuild kit and that you've replaced the pistons, but can't get get the caliper to bleed.  Which suggests to me you've already done the work? But you're also suggesting these wiper seals, which can only be the main seal based on the list from the webpage you provided the link too. Haven't been fitted?

Have you not replaced any seals but just the pistons?  Or only replaced the dust seal (thinner) and left the old main seal in? Or have you only replaced the dust seal (thinner) and taken the old main seal out and not put back a new main seal?   

Why did you replace the pistons?
Later

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2021, 06:11:20 pm »

As stated above, I can only assume that's what they have called the main seal. 

I'm not really sure quite what you've done.  You've said you've bought a caliper rebuild kit and that you've replaced the pistons, but can't get get the caliper to bleed.  Which suggests to me you've already done the work? But you're also suggesting these wiper seals, which can only be the main seal based on the list from the webpage you provided the link too. Haven't been fitted?

Have you not replaced any seals but just the pistons?  Or only replaced the dust seal (thinner) and left the old main seal in? Or have you only replaced the dust seal (thinner) and taken the old main seal out and not put back a new main seal?   

Why did you replace the pistons?
yes I have replaced the dust and main seal and the bleed nipples and the pistons and the banjo washers, but have been left with these wiper seals? but cant see anywhere where they would go?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2021, 06:13:24 pm »
Pictures?
Later

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2021, 06:25:52 pm »

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2021, 07:04:58 pm »
They look like the seals that go between the two calliper halves. But isn’t the Fazer 1000 a solid calliper? So aren’t needed.

Have you got the correct repair kit?

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2021, 07:06:33 pm »
I may be wrong but the two little rubber seals are IF you split the caliper
The wiper seals i can only assume are the piston seals
As stated in the link you supplied:
2 stainless steel pistons
  • 2 wiper seals
  • 2 dust seals
  • 2 caliper joint seals
  • 2 stainless steel bleed nipples
  • 2 bleed nipple covers
  • 2 copper washers
  • 1 sachet of red rubber grease

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2021, 07:29:08 pm »
of? the wiper seals? you can see them in the picture, 2 rubber seals about the size of a 1pence https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/03/picture/brake_piston_and_seal_kit_stainless_steel_rear_-_by_trk

Nope, those little seals are what they call caliper joint seals, these are for splittable calipers e.g, what is fitted to the 600 and earlier bikes.  The caliper fitted to the 1000 and to the fronts are monoblock and aren't splittable.

I'm now pretty sure they are mixing up their seal names and using car terminology.  They are calling the dust seal (thinner) a wiper seal, because it has 2 little wiper blades, that's what the car industry often refer to them as.  The main seal they are calling dust seal for some daft reason.

Later

WayneUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2021, 08:20:56 am »
Sorted brakes out now, ended up getting a brake bleeding kit, So much easier using one of these, should of invested in one much earlier, Thanks for everyones help and advise  :thumbup