Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:40 am

Author Topic: Advice for removal of scratches on headlamp lens please!  (Read 1470 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Advice for removal of scratches on headlamp lens please!
« on: 13 September 2021, 12:01:56 pm »
I have restricted access down a narrow path to get my bike in and out and recently caught the headlamp lens on a rough cast concrete post.
The bike is a Tracer 700 and I assume the lens is made of some type of plastic. Tried polishing out scratches with Farecla polishing com pound but this had little effect as scratches are quite deep. Hopefully this won't be an MOT issue?
Any ideas/suggestions welcome. (I have since "bubblewrapped" offending post).

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for removal of scratches on headlamp lens please!
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2021, 12:14:10 pm »
It's the same process as for cars, just bikes have smaller lenses.  Varying grades of wet/dry, followed by the same but polish.   

A deep scratch depending on it's depth may be impossible to polish out, as the lens is only so thick.  It's also in most cases easier to remove the headlight unit from the bike/firing etc.   
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2021, 07:38:02 pm »
  • It's the same process as for cars, just bikes have smaller lenses.  Varying grades of wet/dry, followed by the same but polish. 
  • A deep scratch depending on it's depth may be impossible to polish out, as the lens is only so thick.  It's also in most cases easier to remove the headlight unit from the bike/faring etc.
  • The only issue with this is motorcycle headlight lense come with an anti-scratch coating, this method will remove that. So evertytime you clean your bike it would put micro/small scratches back.
  • Depnding on how bad andf where it is you might be able to hide it with lenses protection film. Your other option is as Gnasher hinted at is just to replace the unit and then sell your scratched one on etc.
Got a picture of the damage..?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 09:54:57 pm by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2021, 10:04:18 pm »
The only issue with this is motorcycle headlight lense come with an anti-scratch coating, this method will remove that. So evertytime you clean your bike it would put micro/small scratches back.
They are exactly the same.   

I should have explained it better, you buy a kit, in the kit you get 3 grades of wet/dry paper/disc and polish, you also get a lacquer often in the form a wipe, which is applied last. It's this lacquer that provides the anti scratch and UV protection.  It's the same lacquer that eventually yellows and goes opaque.

« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 09:56:24 pm by b1k3rdude »
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2021, 10:03:44 pm »
They are exactly the same.   

I should have explained it better, you buy a kit, in the kit you get 3 grades of wet/dry paper/disc and polish, you also get a lacquer often in the form a wipe, which is applied last. It's this lacquer that provides the anti scratch and UV protection.  It's the same lacquer that eventually yellows and goes opaque.

Ah yes I forgot about that, I used a one of this kits for a mates car and the lacquer stayed clear for about 6 months.

So @Dave48, you could use the above kit as Gnasher suggested but then instead of using the final wipe, do a proper lacquer clear coat from a spray can -
  • just take your time, follow the instructions on the tin,
  • spray in lots of thin layers (you do not want any runs) and after final coat give the lacquer several days to cure fully hard.
  • then get 2000/3000 grit so to flat it and remove any imperfections
  • then buff it with polishing compound to a gloss finish.
@Gnasher I assume my suggestion above should last for years if done right?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 10:05:09 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2021, 10:57:04 pm »
Thanks for your advice guys. Will try what you suggest.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2021, 11:07:07 am »

@Dave48, you could use the above kit as Gnasher suggested but then instead of using the final wipe, do a proper lacquer clear coat from a spray can

• just take your time, follow the instructions on the tin,
  • spray in lots of thin layers (you do not want any runs) and after final coat give the lacquer several days to cure fully hard.
  • then get 2000/3000 grit so to flat it and remove any imperfections
  • then buff it with polishing compound to a gloss finish.
@Gnasher I assume my suggestion above should last for years if done right?

Almost there's no need to rub down the lacquer, just ensure the the surface of the lens is clear i.e. properly rubbed down and polished.  Then just use quality UV lacquer.

IMHO and if you've not already got the tools/accessories.   The best kit is Auto Glym but they don't give you any lacquer which is barking mad, as it will start discolouring within 6 - 12mths depending on sunlight exposure and the roads you ride on.  That said the drill pads for wet/dry and polishing plus the compound is good quality.  Good lacquers I've either used or know hold up for 2yrs plus are, Sonax Proflaine or E Tech, I'm sure there's others out there. Sonax isn't cheap, about as much as the Auto Glym kit, but you get what you pay for, about £40ish for a good kit and lacquer, compared to new headlight unit it's a steal.

Obviously it can be even cheaper, i.e. sheets of wet/dry and use a car cutting compound and elbow grease, or you may already have the pads in which case you don't need a kit just the laquer.  It's all about the prep get the lens as clear as possible before you lacquer it, if it's quality lacquer 3 - 4 coats applied with either an airbrush or spray can you don't need to rub it down. 

Just make sure the lacquer is UV that bit is crucial ;)
Later