Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:17 am

Author Topic: R1 fork setting for Gen 1  (Read 1190 times)

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
R1 fork setting for Gen 1
« on: 17 July 2021, 09:25:00 am »
Hi,
I’ve fitted 1998/99 R1 front forks , changed the spring to 1.0 and new seals .
I’m not sure of the set up.
Need help please.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: R1 fork setting for Gen 1
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2021, 01:29:36 pm »
Dunno how experienced you are at this but start with standard setup:

From the 4VX Service Manual:Front Fork travel 135mm
Preload (roughly)- you'll need a friend to help.  No point going the manual's advice on fork cap preload rings showing as you've changed the springs.  Cable tie around lower stanchion.  Adjust preload rings on top of the fork so that when you sit on the bike it only compresses by one third max (45mm) meaning you have two thirds of spring travel left to deal with bumps.  You need a friend to measure the sag as you have to do it whilst you're sitting on the bike. 

Rebound (top fork cap inner adjusters). Turn all the way in (clockwise) until no more clicks / goes tight - this is towards the firmest setting.  Maximum (firmest) is one click back out (anticlockwise), minimum is 13 clicks out and standard is 5 clicks out.
Compression - adjusters on lower part of forks - Maximum (firmest) is one click out (anticlockwise), minimum is 11 clicks out and standard is 5 clicks out.
Go for a ride, see how she feels & report back if it feels way off...

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2021, 11:30:19 am »
Many thanks for the info, will go for a spin and let you know how it feels.
Cheers.

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2021, 10:08:56 pm »
Hi, I’ve tried the bike with those setting and she feels pretty good but when breaking hard the front feels like it’s juddering.
I have fitted a radial master cylinder which seams to work ok just not sure why it judders when breaking hard.
Cheers for any advice.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2021, 10:51:33 am »
Rule out all possible non-suspension parts first. 

Since you've replaced the entire front end including the yokes, one strong possibility is whether the steering head bearings have been torqued to correct spec - massive change to the bike's feel if they haven't. Did you / someone else tighten head bearings using a torque wrench? In my experience not using one can be challenging to get 'just right'.

Was there juddering before the front-end switch/ fitment of radial m/c? If not, then something new that's been fitted could be causing your problem.  Check that brake pad wear is 'straight' & that all front brake pistons are moving freely. Check your brake discs aren't warped (although you'd probably feel the front brake lever pulsing slightly when you pull on it).

After that, it could be down to fork damping.  Did you use standard 5w(?) fork oil and standard oil level within the forks?  Compression damping - ease it off (anticlockwise) by three or four clicks & go ride her to see if the juddering when braking eases off or if it gets worse. 

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2021, 11:14:24 pm »
Many thanks for the info , I will start with the brakes and work my way through the suspension setting one at a time.
Many thanks for your advice.