Date: 25-04-24  Time: 03:08 am

Author Topic: Loose front sprocket nut...  (Read 5980 times)

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Loose front sprocket nut...
« Reply #25 on: 01 October 2021, 01:26:18 pm »
To Gnasher

The reason why the threads wear out on the output shaft and the nut, is in my opinion due to sprocket chatter.

The reason why you get sprocket chatter is because the sprocket and output shaft aren't a tight fit.

If you can hand push the sprocket onto the output shaft, you'll likely get some sprocket chatter. 

In essence if you have to tap it on with hammer you should be o.k., but if you can push it on by hand then you could end up with problems.

I put 110,000 miles on my last Fazer, and changed the drive sprocket several times, fortunately I had to tap it on with a hammer, and thus never had problems.

A guy I knew who also had a Fazer, had the sprocket nut issue, and he found his sprocket was a push fit onto the output shaft....  it didn't need tapping on.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 October 2021, 04:34:26 pm »
Oh no not another DIY chap with a theory  :rolleyes

The reason why the threads wear out on the output shaft and the nut, is in my opinion due to sprocket chatter.

Yep, I told you that ;)

The reason why you get sprocket chatter is because the sprocket and output shaft aren't a tight fit.

Nope  :rolleyes see my last.  The sprocket must be a loose push fit to allow for shaft expansion and easy extraction.  If not the drive splines will become damaged i.e. burred and you'll struggle to get it off without a puller or a your No1 tool a hammer.  :D   

If you can hand push the sprocket onto the output shaft, you'll likely get some sprocket chatter.

Nope. Not if sprocket is pushed up against the lay shaft shoulder by the lock nut, once it's torqued.   

In essence if you have to tap it on with hammer you should be o.k., but if you can push it on by hand then you could end up with problems.

Nope, I've worked on bikes for 30yrs and still do.  I've never put a front sprocket on any make of bike with a hammer, total DIY crap :rolleyes

I put 110,000 miles on my last Fazer, and changed the drive sprocket several times, fortunately I had to tap it on with a hammer, and thus never had problems.

Good for you  :) Shame you didn't tell Yamaha then, save them issuing a workshop bulletin after their experts found the issue.  Oh course they were wrong all the time, Paul had the answer  :rollin :rollin :rollin   Your lay shaft splines are most likely burred :rolleyes

Not all were effected.

A guy I knew who also had a Fazer, had the sprocket nut issue, and he found his sprocket was a push fit onto the output shaft....  it didn't need tapping on.

See above all front sprockets are loose push fit.   

This is all very old and very well documented.  If you wish to have these half barked theories, I'd keep them to yourself, bloody funny though  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: 01 October 2021, 04:39:11 pm by Gnasher »
Later

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 October 2021, 07:36:42 pm »
 :lol :lol :lol  got me popcorn ready  :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2021, 08:46:02 am »
Ok, dont make me lock this thread.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2021, 12:41:48 pm »
:lol :lol :lol  got me popcorn ready  :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk

You don't need you're popcorn mate, there's nothing more to be said, not from me that is  :)

Later