Torqfazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
luggage
« on: 27 June 2021, 02:55:09 pm »
not an exciting topic buuuut...
i want to be able to transport basic overnight stay amounts of kit. i dont like rucksacks so its a tank bag versus tailpack coinflip. personal preferences and brand (or non brand) recommendations? ps i searched and didnt find any obvious posts but apologies if this has been done before.
cheers

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: luggage
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2021, 09:55:24 pm »
I presume that you're not planning on leaving anything in the bag/ on the bike when you're not with it, otherwise a top box would be your best choice as it's hard and lockable, rather than soft and easy to remove.

So the questions I'd say are simply how much capacity you'd need and whether you'd be comfortable with a tank bag, for instance, I know of a few people who just don't like the idea.

Also, of course, a tank bag lets you put a map on the top (ok, not desperate in these days of sat nav) and can have pockets on the side for anything you want to access easily without getting off.

There's lots of good brands out there, mine is an Endurance "Cargo" tank bag, it seems to have been discontinued, but there are ones on eBay for a reasonable price, it's hard wearing and water resistant (it will leak if it buckets down!)

One other thing with a tank bag (especially if it's the magnetic type) is to always make sure you brush off the underside before you put it into place, I ended up with a scratch on my tank when a bit of metal got stuck to a magnet and I didn't notice... :(

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2021, 09:43:57 am »
Have a look at the Lomo range .https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Dry-Bags.html
100% waterproof and very well priced, as they are not a motorcycle brand
For magnetic tank bags, Oxford do a cut and fit mesh to put underneath to stop scratches

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2021, 01:29:55 pm »
Another tank bag option, but wouldn't hold as much as a Baglux, is one of the larger bags from Sw Motech. These clip to a dedicated tank ring, and do not touch the tank at all. A tail pack that's waterproof and really hardwearing and available in 5, 10,20 and 30 litres is the US range from Kriega. Once the straps are adjusted to the rear subframe rails, it's quick to fit or remove. The straps will fold away under the seat when it's not needed.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.