Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:26 am

Author Topic: Dual Bike Insurance  (Read 1945 times)

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Dual Bike Insurance
« on: 19 May 2021, 11:08:36 am »
Hello Forum,  Just wondering what premiums you pay for two bikes and to which companies as mine keeps going up each each year from Carol Nash?

I have just been quoted £236 fully Comp my Gen 1 Fazer 2002 and a Harley XL1200R 2006 which seam high.

Thanks in Advance.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Bike Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2021, 12:01:33 pm »
Shop around, get quotes, like for like policies, go back to CN and tell them you've got it cheaper tell them who, how much.  Either they beat, get very close or you insure elsewhere.

I've been doing the above for years, I've never paid their renewal quote ever. this year CN wanted to increase mine by £70 and switch me to another insurer wit £300 more excess.  Got it back to last year price and only £50 more excess, I've been with CN for well over 20yrs.   

Many yearly cover suppliers, RAC, AA, Phones etc love people who just renew, why because they can screw you!  Also look out for the auto renew schemes, yes they stop you having to worry, but they renew (ie they take the money) about 5 days (can be more) before the actual renewal date.  If you don't do the above before the auto pay date, you'll have reduced your bargaining power e.g. you may get a refund, but perhaps not a reversal in say increase in excess.  Why because you've already bought the policy.  You could cancel which may or may not have a fee and then re-quote for a new policy, if the fee is a fair bit less than the difference between a new policy, probably worth it cancelling.       

That said some don't, my car insurer always is either cheaper than last year or the same, mostly it's been cheaper.     

Later

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2021, 01:26:14 pm »
Yep as said, I always go back to CN and argue the price back down. The call handler seems to expect it.
One thing to watch out for with multi bike policies, is that if you find it cheaper to insure the bikes separately, the no claims bonus can only be transferred to one bike.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2021, 02:32:03 pm »
Shop around, get quotes, like for like policies, go back to CN and tell them you've got it cheaper tell them who, how much.  Either they beat, get very close or you insure elsewhere.

I've been doing the above for years, I've never paid their renewal quote ever. this year CN wanted to increase mine by £70 and switch me to another insurer wit £300 more excess.  Got it back to last year price and only £50 more excess, I've been with CN for well over 20yrs.   

Many yearly cover suppliers, RAC, AA, Phones etc love people who just renew, why because they can screw you!  Also look out for the auto renew schemes, yes they stop you having to worry, but they renew (ie they take the money) about 5 days (can be more) before the actual renewal date.  If you don't do the above before the auto pay date, you'll have reduced your bargaining power e.g. you may get a refund, but perhaps not a reversal in say increase in excess.  Why because you've already bought the policy.  You could cancel which may or may not have a fee and then re-quote for a new policy, if the fee is a fair bit less than the difference between a new policy, probably worth it cancelling.       

That said some don't, my car insurer always is either cheaper than last year or the same, mostly it's been cheaper.   

Yep, all of the above..........

So far.........

Did a new quote with CN all same details £210😧

Bennett’s same cover £185 but a bit vague on the application

Hate this time of year😩

seano

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - gsx1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2021, 04:34:00 pm »
Im with CN too and do the same each year also tell them i don't want auto renewal but in the past they did it anyway!! but got it sorted most years iv haggled at least £30 odd , this year i put the value up on all 4 bikes and still saved nearly £40

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2021, 07:04:53 pm »
I wont renew with a company who increases the premium and then drops it we=hen you complain. What happened to loyalty?

Compare the market has saved me a fortune.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2021, 08:21:09 am »
Have you tried MCN Compare https://www.mcncompare.com/motorbike-insurance-guides/multibike-insurance/ ?
Most comparison sites can only deal with information about one bike.

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2021, 11:33:40 am »

Depending on what you want/need from CN, they also do CN select, which is just insurance without the breakdown etc.., I got a two bike policy for £112.00 this year.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2021, 08:29:24 pm »
Bennetts came out best again for me   :lol
9+ yrs NCD protected = £85.00 Comp / £0 Voluntary excess ... £350 compulsory excess seems to be the norm on all policies nowadays ... include 90 days European cover & breakdown recovery.
Compare the Market usually yields the best results, insurance companies don't give a flying Fook about loyalty... shop around every time & save money.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2021, 06:41:05 pm »
I always do the comparison site thing and then phone a couple of the cheapest to get a quote for two bikes. It usually seems to be Hastings Direct or Bennetts for me these days. Hastings will only cover 2 bikes max I think Bennetts will cover up to 4. I have max NCD 9 years given but actually about 25 years since I had 7 years off bikes, 3 points for speeding and live in a town / semi rural location. I have comp with protected NCD declare I will do about 5000 miles per year but, to my shame, usually do a lot less. I include pillion cover but dont have breakdown, legal cover or any of the add ons.

Last year for a 2016 MT10 and a 2004 FZS1000. Hastings quoted £150. I would have gone with that but I bought a new Tracer 900GT in June and Hastings got a bit greedy with their quote so i went to Bennetts

Bennetts quoted £178 for 2016 MT10 and 2020 Tracer 900 GT. I didnt add the FZS 1000 as it is stored and to keep the the quotes like for like.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2021, 07:45:22 pm »
Been a bit of a contrast in ££ but appreciate the recommendations the forum have offered.

MCN turned out to be £60 more than CN, like many I got 9 years + NCD, @1500 miles a year on both bikes, voluntary £250 excess plus the compulsory £400, alarmed garage, alarmed disk locks, chains that I have accumulated over the years.  The Harley has an alarm that so sensitive and loud potential thieves would run away.

Got a novel wedge system stopping the up and over garage door being opened plus with two modern cars in front, still makes no real difference in insurance ££.  I know this makes no difference and I don't even live in a high risk area.

Best I got so far is CN £210 with recovery, green flag is way over the @£65 CN charge.

Got 2 more weeks to get it sorted fingers crossed, FFS.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2021, 11:00:10 pm »
I dont understand Carol Nash anymore. I was with them years ago with my R1 and they were cheaper than anyone. They wouldnt insure my Aprilia RSV Factory so I had to go to Equity Red Star then I had years of KTM's and kind of forgot about Carol Nash. Because of this thread I thought I would get a quote from them for my MT10 and Tracer 900 Gt and got a ridiculous £441, well over double any of the other quotes.