Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 69124 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: The Covid thread
« Reply #800 on: 11 June 2021, 11:42:43 am »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:02:35 pm by YamFazFan »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 12 June 2021, 09:53:33 am »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:02:51 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 12 June 2021, 10:00:06 am »
Expect to see news briefings by the 3 horsemen of the apocalypse with their scary charts as a warm up act laying the ground in the run up to borris anouncing lockdown extention.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 12 June 2021, 10:05:42 am »
May already happening, as in delayed to July 19. But the source was 'The Sun', a tabloid rag not known for its unbiased and accurate reporting.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: 12 June 2021, 10:30:57 am »
Expect to see news briefings by the 3 horsemen of the apocalypse with their scary charts as a warm up act laying the ground in the run up to borris anouncing lockdown extention.

interesting that MR SHARPIE...had my second jab this morning and the nurse said "we already know lockdown will be extended" not sure if it was fact or chatter but probably right
One, is never going to be enough.....

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 12 June 2021, 01:02:37 pm »
The only 'if' is whether it's 2 weeks delay or 4.

Laurence Fox will be fummin'

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: 12 June 2021, 01:10:40 pm »

« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:03:34 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 12 June 2021, 02:04:42 pm »

Difficult to see how they're going to justify it. I thought restrictions were to stop the NHS being overwhelmed?. It's not being overwhelmed is it?. There's no one admitted to my local hospital with it now and everyone over about 30 has had at least one jab, most two.

« Last Edit: 12 June 2021, 02:05:13 pm by fazersharp »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: 12 June 2021, 05:08:00 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:03:53 pm by YamFazFan »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 12 June 2021, 06:05:33 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:04:07 pm by YamFazFan »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: 12 June 2021, 08:56:17 pm »

Great to see so many of the pandemic heroes honoured in The Queen's Birthday Honours. Well deserved :thumbup

Fantastic to see Her Majesty enjoying Trooping The Colour at Windsor in the sunshine today too. Happy Birthday Ma'am :)
I think Windsor Castle is a much better place for it. It looks fantastic and is a far better backdrop than horesgaurds  and Her Majesty looks so relaxed there. I see that she was freely mixing with the G7 without a covid care in the world. Everyone who has had 2 jabs would do well to do as our Queen and get on with our lives. If any minority group has refused the jabs then that's their problem but everyone  else who has done their bit for this country should not pay the lockdown price for their selfishness.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 12 June 2021, 10:58:56 pm »

« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:04:26 pm by YamFazFan »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #812 on: 12 June 2021, 11:57:46 pm »
Government shouldn't take those who were eligible for a vaccination, but refused it, into account in any way when it comes to lockdown decisions.

That would be short-sighted and self-defeating, especially if the vaccine may be less effective to a more highly contagious variant.

Yes, some people may have refused the vaccine because of anti-vax nonsense, but some communities may have more people being "vaccine hesitant" because of misinformation (accidental or even deliberate) or because of a simple lack of trust in the authorities because they remember the number of times they have been screwed over by British governments in the past.

To adopt a "screw you, I'm alright Jack" mentality is selfish and discriminatory and will do little to encourage those people who are vaccine hesitant to change their minds because they'll be more likely to think "Here we go again, being treated as worthless by an establishment that never cared about us in the first place".

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: 13 June 2021, 12:27:11 am »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:04:45 pm by YamFazFan »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 13 June 2021, 04:54:07 am »
Government shouldn't take those who were eligible for a vaccination, but refused it, into account in any way when it comes to lockdown decisions.

That would be short-sighted and self-defeating, especially if the vaccine may be less effective to a more highly contagious variant.

Yes, some people may have refused the vaccine because of anti-vax nonsense, but some communities may have more people being "vaccine hesitant" because of misinformation (accidental or even deliberate) or because of a simple lack of trust in the authorities because they remember the number of times they have been screwed over by British governments in the past.

To adopt a "screw you, I'm alright Jack" mentality is selfish and discriminatory and will do little to encourage those people who are vaccine hesitant to change their minds because they'll be more likely to think "Here we go again, being treated as worthless by an establishment that never cared about us in the first place".

The government are doing everything possible to accommodate everyone with these vaccines, with back up by scientists, to make them as safe as can be for the UK's general population. Like with the blood clot scenario with the AZ jabs, they don't even offer these to the younger generations now, under a certain age, who were the ones most affected.
The only people being selfish right now are the people that are mixed up in their heads and refusing the vaccines and still spreading the virus about. These very same people are the ones holding the UK back to moving on to some sort of normality which is so obviously becoming desperately needed.
If thousands of people were dropping down dead or becoming desperately ill because of the vaccine then i would totally sympathise.....but they simply aren't. And anyone becoming ill due to side effects are no different to most other over the counter things we buy that come with a warning. All prescribed drugs from the doctors have a leaflet with a long list of side effects, but when you're ill you take your chance that they're very highly likely going to make you better rather than harm you in any way.
So in this instance i would most certainly say that the selfish ones are definitely not the ones who have done their bit for society, and welcomed the chance of having vaccines to protect themselves AND others, but most certainly the ditherers, non believers and small minded people that continue to bring this country to its knees by refusing their jabs, not only prolonging everyone else's misery, but heightening the chance of yet another wave, along with job losses too when many businesses cannot take any more closures over something that will never ever totally go away.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 13 June 2021, 10:36:17 am »
I've done everything that's required of me during this pandemic. I've had both the vaccinations, taken part in twice weekly lateral flow testing (still doing so) and followed every rule that's been required.

That's good to hear.

But we're not going to get out of this pandemic just because of what *you* have done and governments need to take into account *everyone*, not dismiss people/ groups because, for whatever reason, they haven't done the same.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 13 June 2021, 10:39:57 am »

some communities may have more people being "vaccine hesitant" because of misinformation (accidental or even deliberate) or because of a simple lack of trust in the authorities because they remember the number of times they have been screwed over by British governments in the past.
So if you are the wrong community you are a anti vax nut but if you belong to other communities then you are "vaccine hesitant". Its the same areas every time. As far as I can see the government has bent over backwards to get the vax message out to these communities.
 Calling it Delta may of even made things worse as a lot of these communities probably think the Indian one has gone. Call it the Indian variant and press the message home to them.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 13 June 2021, 10:53:27 am »

« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 02:05:39 pm by YamFazFan »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 13 June 2021, 11:02:19 am »
So if you are the wrong community you are a anti vax nut but if you belong to other communities then you are "vaccine hesitant".

I am not making any judgements about "communities", people have different reasons for declining vaccinations.

Whatever those reasons and whether they are misguided or misinformed or they are due to mistrust of the government or scientists or whatever, these are still *people* with lives that need to be considered when decisions are made.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 13 June 2021, 11:15:08 am »
At the end of the day it comes down to personal responsibility and if certain people still choose not to accept it there's little more the government can do.

Let me draw a parallel example: A lot of people resisted a seat belt law because it should be "personal responsibility" or an infringement on their "freedoms" etc.

In 1982, the year before the seat belt law was introduced, 2,443 people were killed in accidents on Britain’s roads. 30 years later, that figure had dropped to 816. Now that might not all have been due to seatbelts, but they were certainly contributory to it and yet people's "freedoms" are still intact.

Not wearing a seatbelt only affects you, but someone who is (for whatever reason) not vaccinated, can spread the virus to others and may even have a variant that the vaccine may not work on.

Now, yes, their decision not to be vaccinated may *also* be selfish, but demanding that the rules be changed because of what the majority have done (let alone because someone has declared an arbitrary date as "Freedom Day") when there is still a risk of new outbreaks, as is happening at the moment, will just make the situation worse, so decisions that affect the whole population have to consider this fact.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 13 June 2021, 11:17:07 am »
So if you are the wrong community you are a anti vax nut but if you belong to other communities then you are "vaccine hesitant".

these are still *people* with lives that need to be considered when decisions are made.

Yes you are perfectly right and I agree with you 100%. We should protect those people that will not have the jab by informing them that they should shield and stay at home to protect themselves. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 13 June 2021, 11:24:42 am »
At the end of the day it comes down to personal responsibility and if certain people still choose not to accept it there's little more the government can do.

Let me draw a parallel example: A lot of people resisted a seat belt law because it should be "personal responsibility" or an infringement on their "freedoms" etc.

In 1982, the year before the seat belt law was introduced, 2,443 people were killed in accidents on Britain’s roads. 30 years later, that figure had dropped to 816. Now that might not all have been due to seatbelts, but they were certainly contributory to it and yet people's "freedoms" are still intact.

Not wearing a seatbelt only affects you, but someone who is (for whatever reason) not vaccinated, can spread the virus to others and may even have a variant that the vaccine may not work on.

Now, yes, their decision not to be vaccinated may *also* be selfish, but demanding that the rules be changed because of what the majority have done (let alone because someone has declared an arbitrary date as "Freedom Day") when there is still a risk of new outbreaks, as is happening at the moment, will just make the situation worse, so decisions that affect the whole population have to consider this fact.

I have heard the "seat belt" one on the radio too.  :rolleyes And I have heard it repeated loads of times from people repeating it as though it was their own.  Its apt that you should use the seatbelt metaphor because the same communities that we are referring to who are refusing the jab are also the same ones who repeatedly flout the seatbelt laws.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 13 June 2021, 11:37:21 am »

these are still *people* with lives that need to be considered when decisions are made.

Yes you are perfectly right and I agree with you 100%. We should protect those people that will not have the jab by informing them that they should shield and stay at home to protect themselves.

*...and protect everyone else from them too.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 13 June 2021, 11:53:25 am »

There will ALWAYS be a risk of new outbreaks, this is one virus that is not going away for a very long time. But surely being on a small island like ours, and with the undoubtedly fantastic vaccine programme that we had the privilege to be a part of, does it not make total sense to want to "keep it at bay" as much as possible?
When you have the bulk of people doing their thing to try and get a grip on the virus, why should a minority spoil it for everyone by leaving themselves totally open for infection and further spreading, as is about to happen again by the sounds of things?
The vaccines work, it's a proven fact now. They're not perfect by any means, i recently heard a mate of mines dad has tested Positive and he'd had both of his jabs, so a few will slip through the net, but in the same breath he's not "very ill" at all, it was just a random test with an unexpected result, but then again we always knew they weren't touted as 100% effective.
Our main downfall will generally come from people bringing the virus in from outside of the UK, seeing as some countries are still in a right state and out of control and it's no surprise that people want to run away from these areas, but if you're going to reside here then i think it's only fair that you get vaccinated.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 13 June 2021, 12:25:02 pm »

I've done everything that's required of me during this pandemic. I've had both the vaccinations, taken part in twice weekly lateral flow testing (still doing so) and followed every rule that's been required.
I totally agree. So you are now calling everyone who did what they were told and stepped up to take the vax - selfish. --- REALLY !

[removed comments that have already been removed from the original post - bkd] 
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 12:31:10 pm by b1k3rdude »