Date: 18-04-24  Time: 12:44 pm

Author Topic: Fuel gauge issue  (Read 590 times)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Fuel gauge issue
« on: 05 November 2020, 04:20:27 pm »
When I start my '04 Gen 1 from cold the fuel gauge acts normally, gently rising and staying stable barring the usual slight movements when accelerating/decelerating.

After a few miles, however, the needle starts to flap around from full to empty and all points between, as if there's no damping.

As the gauge and sender seem to be OK on startup I suspect the wires between, but I've cleaned all the connectors to no effect.

Anyone had similar problems, or any ideas for a solution?

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel gauge issue
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2020, 07:10:25 pm »
I’m afraid that I can’t help you, other than to say that I have the same issue, have done for some time. Mine was originally fitted with a Multigauge, which I took off after having some electrical issues. Sadly the electrical issue was nothing to do with the multigauge, but I wasn’t switched on enough to keep it. Instead I put the original fuel gauge back on, which had been kicking around in a box or bits for a number of years.

For me, I suspect that the issue lies within the wiring somewhere, as, like you, when the bike is stationary, it gives a level reading. when it’s being ridden, it fluctuates up and down. Logically, this would appear to mean that the gauge and the float / sender unit would appear to be working correctly? I’m not sure if there is some sort of damping mechanism built into the float arm itself???

[/size][size=78%]I’ve just made do with the trip meter for some time now.[/size]

I’d love to know if you manage to resolve the issue though at some point in the future.

Cheers