Date: 19-04-24  Time: 12:39 pm

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 148358 times)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #925 on: 18 June 2022, 08:30:14 pm »
Well, whatever I go for, I'm looking forward to new rubber. Fitting the Ivans kit has transformed the way the bike runs and accelerates out of corners and roundabouts. Pushed it a bit the other evening and found it has a huge surge at around 7k and I mean a real surge  :eek

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: 19 June 2022, 10:31:01 am »
Glad you're enjoying the fruits of your labour. Very satisfying. On the new tyre scrubbing in subject, I'm quite happy to gently scrub in for the first 100 miles or so irrespective of any contrary advice. After all, I'll be paying for any damage if it all goes wrong. :eek
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: 19 June 2022, 06:47:51 pm »
Glad you're enjoying the fruits of your labour. Very satisfying. On the new tyre scrubbing in subject, I'm quite happy to gently scrub in for the first 100 miles or so irrespective of any contrary advice. After all, I'll be paying for any damage if it all goes wrong. :eek

:agree

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: 24 June 2022, 04:17:31 pm »

:agree  So glad we’re on the same page :D

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: 25 June 2022, 04:21:16 pm »

Still haven't decided which brand to go for yet. I would really like to try the Avon's, but no one on here seems to have done so yet. :'(
Still got a few miles left in the rear so it's not mega urgent.......... :lol

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #930 on: 25 June 2022, 06:58:47 pm »
I stuck a pair of conti road attack 3's on my TDM 850 and no scrubbing in required, transformed the feel and just seems to hang on like something brown and squidgy to a blanket right from the start, I'd reccomend.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: 26 June 2022, 10:49:14 am »

Still haven't decided which brand to go for yet. I would really like to try the Avon's, but no one on here seems to have done so yet. :'(
Maybe do a search on the forum for Avon Storm, see what hits you get, then pm anyone who seems knowledgeable about them. Just a thought :)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 07 July 2022, 02:22:16 pm »

Maybe do a search on the forum for Avon Storm, see what hits you get, then pm anyone who seems knowledgeable about them. Just a thought :)

Ordered the Avon's £212 delivered. I've gotten about a 1000 miles left on the PR 4's - going to enjoy those  :rollin :rollin :rollin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: 07 July 2022, 10:26:08 pm »
That’s a good price. My rear Roadtec 01 SE was £190 fitted and balanced to a loose wheel. What do you pay for fitting where you are?.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 08 July 2022, 11:33:47 am »
That’s a good price. My rear Roadtec 01 SE was £190 fitted and balanced to a loose wheel. What do you pay for fitting where you are?.

What do I pay for fitting? To a loose wheel, it's normally a grazed knuckle or two, generally covered by several lagers at the bench afterwards  :lol :lol :lol
Its the same price if I have to remove the wheels myself............ :eek

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 11 July 2022, 08:30:51 am »

What do I pay for fitting? To a loose wheel, it's normally a grazed knuckle or two, generally covered by several lagers at the bench afterwards  :lol :lol :lol
That’s the very best price………….I know where to come now :lol , I’ll bring the beer. Balancing as well?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: 11 July 2022, 07:42:46 pm »

That’s the very best price………….I know where to come now :lol , I’ll bring the beer. Balancing as well?

I  always balance as well - although I cheat a little from time too time.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 12 July 2022, 01:40:15 pm »
Yep, you can cheat a bit with the rear, but you soon know about it on the front :eek

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: 13 July 2022, 10:15:02 am »
Yep, you can cheat a bit with the rear, but you soon know about it on the front :eek

Haha lol - just give it the berries and keep the weight off it.........

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: 13 July 2022, 08:57:46 pm »

Ivanizing works ok then… :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 14 July 2022, 02:30:09 pm »

Ivanizing works ok then… :lol

Certainly seems like it - easier to ride quicker than before. I had been mulling over the idea of upgrading to a newer bike, but this has breathed new life into the Fazer.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: 19 July 2022, 12:19:54 pm »
In real world road riding in this country, there’s no great advantage in having a later bike in my opinion, other than the smile factor of having something new, or feel abs, a quickshifter, engine maps etc are a must have.The Fazer is a real Swiss Army knife kind of bike, that’ll have a good go at most aspects of biking, off road excluded, without being outstanding at any one discipline. Mine will be loaded up with camping gear and off to the Bol d’Or in September, and I know she, and I, will lap it up.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 19 July 2022, 02:18:32 pm »
In real world road riding in this country, there’s no great advantage in having a later bike in my opinion, other than the smile factor of having something new, or feel abs, a quickshifter, engine maps etc are a must have.The Fazer is a real Swiss Army knife kind of bike, that’ll have a good go at most aspects of biking, off road excluded, without being outstanding at any one discipline. Mine will be loaded up with camping gear and off to the Bol d’Or in September, and I know she, and I, will lap it up.

I went to Sherburn yesterday - brilliant ride up in the morning, but it was a bit warm on the way back. Didn't miss a beat, went through 80k on the way back. Burnt a bit of oil - not surprising really, 20yr old engine, 80+ cruising speed, 37degs OAT etc etc.

Worse bit of the trip back, was filtering through 6 stationary miles of traffic on the A1. Filtering was okay, but the heat coming from under the HGV's was horrendous!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: 19 July 2022, 05:42:32 pm »

I went to Sherburn yesterday - brilliant ride up in the morning, but it was a bit warm on the way back. Didn't miss a beat, went through 80k on the way back. Burnt a bit of oil - not surprising really, 20yr old engine, 80+ cruising speed, 37degs OAT etc etc.

Worse bit of the trip back, was filtering through 6 stationary miles of traffic on the A1. Filtering was okay, but the heat coming from under the HGV's was horrendous!
Nice part of the country to ride in. At least you could keep moving. Drove back from Donington yesterday morning, no air con(broken), stationary around Birmingham several times. Had to have the heater on to keep engine temp down whilst 35 degrees OAT, deep joy, thought my trainers were going to melt :lol . Brands should be a bit cooler this weekend and is only 20 miles away, if that.
Never known an engine like the Fazer to have the ability to “hide” oil. I don’t always add oil if it looks lower than normal as invariably the next time I check it, it’s back to normal. A 100cc here and there is a small price to pay for the Gen 1 experience. Some beemers do a litre/1 thousand miles as normal :eek .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: 20 July 2022, 09:06:14 am »
"Some beemers do a litre/1 thousand miles as normal ."

Suzuki GS & GSX fours were the same.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: 20 July 2022, 07:46:38 pm »

That’s an oil change on a 3k mile trip :lol . Easily done on a week to the south of France with some days out, whilst there. I’ll forget about the K7 I was toying with getting then. :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: 21 July 2022, 08:28:03 pm »

That’s an oil change on a 3k mile trip :lol . Easily done on a week to the south of France with some days out, whilst there. I’ll forget about the K7 I was toying with getting then. :lol

I used to own a GSX1100-FL, the "Powerscreen" model with 16" rims front and rear. After it passed 70K, it was easier just to keep topping the oil up, but change the filter on a regular basis. Got rid at around 98K and its still going strong!
Their probably made a bit better now  :rollin :rollin  - although, when looking for a replacement in 2011, the then GSX1250 had the same fuel consumption as a bike made 20 years earlier - passed on that and bought an FJR1300  :D

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: 25 July 2022, 05:57:11 pm »
Strange how one manufacturer can produce an engine with negligible oil consumption, whereas another make may consume a litre per 1000miles and is regarded as normal.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: 25 July 2022, 08:14:51 pm »
Strange how one manufacturer can produce an engine with negligible oil consumption, whereas another make may consume a litre per 1000miles and is regarded as normal.

And not forgetting Harley's - they've got shit brakes etc from the showroom and yet people still buy them  :rollin :rollin :rollin (Awaiting incoming insults........)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: 28 July 2022, 08:29:57 pm »

And not forgetting Harley's - they've got shit brakes etc from the showroom and yet people still buy them  :rollin :rollin :rollin (Awaiting incoming insults........)
Although it keeps aftermarket brake companies like Harrison and Performance Machine in business. Talk about inbuilt obsolescence :lol