Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:23 am

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 145244 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #900 on: 04 May 2022, 09:06:33 pm »
Been listening to them for years - even seen them live. Some of their more recent stuff is not so good as the early tracks, but I think that happens a lot with rock bands anyway.

Hoping to get cracking with the carbs on Friday - just been told that we're going on holiday in a week or so...........
Hopefully you might get a chance to get out for a ride at the weekend. It’ll be like a new bike, certainly looks it.
We’re on hols soon, first chance of some proper sun for three years, can’t wait.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: 08 May 2022, 07:57:25 pm »
Done (still needs a clean IMHO).

Ready for MOT on Tuesday - not due yet, but I don't want to faff around when we get back from our break.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: 09 May 2022, 02:45:16 pm »
Looks great,well done :thumbup . Did you try the “push the rubbers in the airbox” trick to give yourself more space, or soldiered on  with the conventional carb fit routine? . Be interested with your opinion performance wise, now that the bikes good to go.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: 09 May 2022, 07:48:57 pm »
Looks great,well done :thumbup . Did you try the “push the rubbers in the airbox” trick to give yourself more space, or soldiered on  with the conventional carb fit routine? . Be interested with your opinion performance wise, now that the bikes good to go.

I had the battery out, undid the airbox mounting bolts and pushed it all the way back. A small squirt of silicone spray on the inlets and they were in position in less than 5 minutes with no scrapes on the knuckles!
Looking forward to tomorrow - after the pass, I'll take it for a small runout to satisfy the itch before the holiday  :D

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: 09 May 2022, 09:59:16 pm »

Ready for MOT on Tuesday - not due yet, but I don't want to faff around when we get back from our break.
I'm loving the kitchen worktop bench, mines a sawn up pallet 👍
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 09 May 2022, 10:32:08 pm »

I had the battery out, undid the airbox mounting bolts and pushed it all the way back. A small squirt of silicone spray on the inlets and they were in position in less than 5 minutes with no scrapes on the knuckles!
Looking forward to tomorrow - after the pass, I'll take it for a small runout to satisfy the itch before the holiday  :D
Enjoy your whizz out tomorrow, hope you like it. I suppose you had a dry run on the carb removal when you did the cables, and knew exactly what to expect. I did the same as you for removal, but used the cheat method to give me more room when replacing them. Silicone spray was a great help for sure :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: 10 May 2022, 12:19:54 pm »

I'm loving the kitchen worktop bench, mines a sawn up pallet 👍

That worktop was bought for the purpose - 20 years ago. It's easy to wipe of and its a nice smooth hard surface to work on.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: 10 May 2022, 12:30:01 pm »

Enjoy your whizz out tomorrow, hope you like it. I suppose you had a dry run on the carb removal when you did the cables, and knew exactly what to expect. I did the same as you for removal, but used the cheat method to give me more room when replacing them. Silicone spray was a great help for sure :thumbup

Whizz out went well - I think I'm going to have to restrain my right wrist somehow - that Slip On kit and the tweaks have transformed the acceleration in a way I was not expecting. It's even more rideable than before, with it seems more mid range grunt  :eek .
Got back from the run out and remembered that it was 8 years ago that I hit a deer - I was doing about 70mph on a FJR1300! Broke a collarbone and a couple of ribs, wrote off the bike and killed the deer.
I remember it mainly because it means it's coming up to the 8th Anniversary of me getting the  :faz .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 10 May 2022, 04:49:40 pm »
Glad it all went well, you certainly get a good bang for your buck with that kit, and it’s all your work :thumbup . Fuel consumption may increase a tad, but the grin outweighs any negatives.
You were lucky regarding the deer event, as could have turned out a lot worse. One of my pals hit one in his car only a couple of years ago, but it’s really affected his bike speed confidence, especially passing through woods/forests, which is quite understandable. The car took a good hit which would have been much worse on a bike. I had one decide to cross the road in front of me up in Scotland, fortunately giving me time to do something about it. However I did start thinking that if the car that baulked me a mile or so back, hadn’t,  then I’d have been further up the road towards the deer, with no doubt a different outcome :eek .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: 11 May 2022, 07:50:52 pm »
Glad it all went well, you certainly get a good bang for your buck with that kit, and it’s all your work :thumbup . Fuel consumption may increase a tad, but the grin outweighs any negatives.
You were lucky regarding the deer event, as could have turned out a lot worse. One of my pals hit one in his car only a couple of years ago, but it’s really affected his bike speed confidence, especially passing through woods/forests, which is quite understandable. The car took a good hit which would have been much worse on a bike. I had one decide to cross the road in front of me up in Scotland, fortunately giving me time to do something about it. However I did start thinking that if the car that baulked me a mile or so back, hadn’t,  then I’d have been further up the road towards the deer, with no doubt a different outcome :eek .

I have developed a habit of easing off when I see the signs or when passing through woodland.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: 13 May 2022, 08:25:42 am »

I have developed a habit of easing off when I see the signs or when passing through woodland.
Yep, err on the side of caution. Nothing wrong with that :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: 13 May 2022, 04:27:03 pm »

Yep, err on the side of caution. Nothing wrong with that :thumbup

Haha lol - yes, err on the side of caution. Tends to be my mantra now - for anything to do with the missus  :rollin :rollin :rollin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: 14 May 2022, 08:00:48 am »
They’re the fastest thing in the world from zero to bitch :lol . Treat with caution, err on the side of caution, and look before you leap, are all very useful adages………if you want a quiet life :D

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: 14 May 2022, 11:39:35 am »
They’re the fastest thing in the world from zero to bitch :lol . Treat with caution, err on the side of caution, and look before you leap, are all very useful adages………if you want a quiet life :D

In the process of earning brownie points - taking her on holiday tomorrow  :eek :eek

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: 14 May 2022, 02:08:28 pm »

In the process of earning brownie points - taking her on holiday tomorrow  :eek :eek
Snap :lol . Where are you going, somewhere hot?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: 17 May 2022, 12:56:43 pm »

Snap :lol . Where are you going, somewhere hot?

South coast of Cyprus - between Paphos and Limassol. It's hovering around 28* C here at the moment. Beers nice and cold though (and plentiful! :lol :lol :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: 17 May 2022, 05:45:49 pm »
Nice :thumbup Enjoy. Used to be able to hire trail bikes where you are, to go up in to the Trodos Mtns. Tenerife for us, similar temp 26°. Costa Adeje, very nice.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: 30 May 2022, 01:48:16 pm »
Back now - temps went up and stayed 30 - 32 degs, dropping to 22 - 24 in the evening.
Chaos at the airports, not so much going out, but coming back was horrendous, so much so that every time something else went wrong, I'd laugh out loud. Seems a lot of people expect too much and have no sense of humour  :rollin :rollin :rollin .
And then I found out - SWMBO has booked us to go again in November!
A bit cooler at that time of the year and I'm looking at M/C hire  :D

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 10 June 2022, 11:28:50 am »
The heat of the holiday sun seems a long time ago, even though it's maybe only a few weeks. Just back from Belgium,famous for chocolate and beer. No wonder, it's pissing with rain half the time, the cows can't eat the grass fast enough, and there seems to be a river around every corner for the breweries to make use of. :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: 13 June 2022, 04:09:52 pm »
As an update on the winter spring upgrade - I took the  :faz  for a trip out on Saturday. The Ivans mod is really worth it. Much smoother, encourages hooligan type behaviour. Overall, motorway at 90 and A roads up and down the box saw 40+mpg.
Going for new tyres next.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 13 June 2022, 04:54:25 pm »
Nice, glad you like it, even more so as it's all your own work, as Mike did mine. I like the way it pulls so cleanly out of slow uphill corners, as well as the top end rush of course. On the tyre front, Red Ceri of this parish, put me on to the Metz Roadtec 01's, which have now morphed into the 01 SE. Not cheap, but they are very confidence inspiring in all road conditions. If I tried an alternative it would be the M9RR from the same company and recommended on the Tracer forum. Tyres are so very expensive of late, but you've gotta have them :D

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: 14 June 2022, 12:50:13 pm »
Nice, glad you like it, even more so as it's all your own work, as Mike did mine. I like the way it pulls so cleanly out of slow uphill corners, as well as the top end rush of course. On the tyre front, Red Ceri of this parish, put me on to the Metz Roadtec 01's, which have now morphed into the 01 SE. Not cheap, but they are very confidence inspiring in all road conditions. If I tried an alternative it would be the M9RR from the same company and recommended on the Tracer forum. Tyres are so very expensive of late, but you've gotta have them :D

It came with Angel GT's, which were worn but rideable.
I then fitted PR 2's, which I found really good.
I have tried Metz Z6's, which was a laugh. Changed the way it handled to something more akin of a BMW!
Currently got PR 4's on.
Was thinking of the Avon XM Storms, but........

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #922 on: 15 June 2022, 12:19:53 pm »
I tried a pair of conti road attack 3's on my TDM850 and it transformed the feel, so much more confidence in the corners now and they don't need scrubbing in.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: 15 June 2022, 02:24:58 pm »
I tried a pair of conti road attack 3's on my TDM850 and it transformed the feel, so much more confidence in the corners now and they don't need scrubbing in.
Interesting. How come they don't need scrubbing in. I thought all tyres had some sort of "release agent" residue left over from the molding process. Tyre fitters always give the "take it easy for the first 100 miles or so", advice.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #924 on: 15 June 2022, 05:29:24 pm »
I don't know about any other manufacturers, but Bridgstone say that they don't use a release agent.

Personally, I wait for a dry day when I have to get a new tyre, then go for a ride along the motorway to wear in the centre line, then do arcing lane changes to start working in the sides.

After that, I head out to the twisties, gradually increasing the speed through the turns until I'm getting towards the edges.

Here's a lot more info: https://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14664.0