Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:52 pm

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 145132 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #800 on: 28 December 2021, 12:08:27 pm »
I've been putting off a precautionary throttle cable change for quite a while, as it looks a bit of a mare of a job. Been making a few notes from various "how to's" including of course Mike and Pat's procedures. In order to gain as much space between the airbox and carbs prior to removal, is it possible to withdraw the intake rubbers into the airbox if the filter was removed. I know you've got a fair idea how to tackle  carb removal from the cable change you did a while back.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 30 December 2021, 03:28:04 pm »
I've been putting off a precautionary throttle cable change for quite a while, as it looks a bit of a mare of a job. Been making a few notes from various "how to's" including of course Mike and Pat's procedures. In order to gain as much space between the airbox and carbs prior to removal, is it possible to withdraw the intake rubbers into the airbox if the filter was removed. I know you've got a fair idea how to tackle  carb removal from the cable change you did a while back.

I can't remember moving the filter. All I did was remove the battery, loosen the airbox and slide it back towards the number plate (and then tighten the bolts). That gave me enough room to remove the carbs etc.
Changing the cables isn't actually as bad as some make out - I'm glad I did mine and I'm glad I went for Slinkies.
Not sure when I'm going to get around to tackling mine - currently in the office preparing estimates for a job in Hungary!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 30 December 2021, 11:12:50 pm »
Blimey, Hungary. That’s a long way from Biggin Hill :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 06 January 2022, 11:32:26 am »
Blimey, Hungary. That’s a long way from Biggin Hill :lol

It sure is - and the client has gone quiet.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: 06 January 2022, 11:38:48 am »
Oh well, time for you to get the carbs off then. I’m trying to get a bit more info regarding pushing the airbox boots into the airbox to create more space. Everything’s undone, just waiting for the info as don’t want to risk mullering anything, and as I’ve got plenty of time it would make sense if it makes carb removal/replacement easier.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 10 January 2022, 09:14:16 pm »
Oh well, time for you to get the carbs off then. I’m trying to get a bit more info regarding pushing the airbox boots into the airbox to create more space. Everything’s undone, just waiting for the info as don’t want to risk mullering anything, and as I’ve got plenty of time it would make sense if it makes carb removal/replacement easier.

This little job, in fact any job, big or small on the Thou, is getting further and further away.
Her car developed an electrical fault - I think I've sorted that now, to discover my Chrysler 300 has sprung an oil leak! Following some research, I've discovered that to fix that its a two day job for me - and £££££££'s for a local garage.
Gasket set ordered. I'm going to find this interesting - I cannot remember if I've ever taken apart a V6 before! Had a V12 cylinder head off a Merlin once!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: 11 January 2022, 08:25:50 am »
Oh boy. Not the time of the year for a car project. Don’t suppose you can put it off until it’s milder as you do big mileages in the Chrysler. Did a fair bit of work on my old Mustang V8 years ago, but that was with the engine out of the car, making it a lot more straightforward. If I lived nearer I’d give you a hand. Very best of luck, it will no doubt be a piece of cake for a man of your calibre. :)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 12 January 2022, 10:25:33 am »
Car is booked to deal with this weekend - come rain or shine!
I have a tarpaulin which goes between the top of the garage door (up and over) to the "A" pillar on the car, so I can be undercover and out of the draught as much as possible.
Getting loads of tips from the Facebook owners club as well.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: 12 January 2022, 06:04:17 pm »
Weather forecast at this end of the country is looking dry for the weekend. I suppose no wind is what you'll need if using a tarp.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 14 January 2022, 11:58:33 am »
Weather forecast at this end of the country is looking dry for the weekend. I suppose no wind is what you'll need if using a tarp.

Supposed to be sunny round our neck of the woods as well - shame the garage faces North  :'( .

Currently still in N.Yorks - got to get this finished before I can go home.  :eek

« Last Edit: 14 January 2022, 11:59:26 am by fazerscotty »

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #810 on: 14 January 2022, 12:11:50 pm »
A dribbly old gypsy major? You get all the best jobs.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 14 January 2022, 01:59:14 pm »

Not me in the picture - don't have to get my hands dirty as much now, just need to make sure there's ink in my pen!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 14 January 2022, 05:13:52 pm »
Think I'd prefer to be driving home in the Chrysler with an oil leak, rather than flying in that. Fair play to anyone who does though :) .

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #813 on: 14 January 2022, 06:40:57 pm »
At least the gypsy is meant to be dripping oil out the bottom. :lol
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 15 January 2022, 09:20:52 am »

Not me in the picture - don't have to get my hands dirty as much now, just need to make sure there's ink in my pen!
Bet you’re getting your hands dirty about now :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 16 January 2022, 08:57:08 pm »

Bet you’re getting your hands dirty about now :lol

Yeah - I did, but not as planned. On the drive back from N.Yorks, the wife's Jag decided to make a mess of it's nearside wheel bearing.
That kept my hands full on Saturday!

As you can see from the picture - we hang the aircraft up so the oil drains out!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 17 January 2022, 05:54:33 pm »
Isn’t it marvellous. There’s always something that gets in the way (Jag)of what you want to do (Chrysler), even though that is not what you really want to be doing(Fazer). :'(

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 17 January 2022, 09:41:07 pm »
Isn’t it marvellous. There’s always something that gets in the way (Jag)of what you want to do (Chrysler), even though that is not what you really want to be doing(Fazer). :'(

Haha LOL you have no idea - still, brownie points are brownie points  :lol :lol :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 19 January 2022, 04:18:37 pm »

Haha LOL you have no idea - still, brownie points are brownie points  :lol :lol :lol
I think I see where you’re coming from. Brownie points guarantees the house will be kid free when it’s time to do the bike. Playing the long game. I like it :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 20 January 2022, 09:37:52 pm »

I think I see where you’re coming from. Brownie points guarantees the house will be kid free when it’s time to do the bike. Playing the long game. I like it :thumbup

LOL Up here for thinking, down there for dancing  :rollin :rollin :rollin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 23 January 2022, 10:43:42 am »
Well, you’ll certainly be dancing for joy at the results of your Ivanising project, when you can get around to doing it. Did you make a start on the Chrysler this weekend?.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 23 January 2022, 08:00:59 pm »
Well, you’ll certainly be dancing for joy at the results of your Ivanising project, when you can get around to doing it. Did you make a start on the Chrysler this weekend?.

Haven't started that yet. I have however, welded and beefed up my ramp extenders ready for the up and coming car servicing season.
Then the welder broke - it's not been brilliant for a while, the overtemp thingy would keep popping and the sheath in the hose (MIG) is broken and would snag the wire feed. The damn things only 30 Years old!
So that went in the bin and I bought a new welder this morning. I feel better - this retail therapy has something going for it  :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 27 January 2022, 09:24:48 am »

Haven't started that yet. I have however, welded and beefed up my ramp extenders ready for the up and coming car servicing season.
Then the welder broke - it's not been brilliant for a while, the overtemp thingy would keep popping and the sheath in the hose (MIG) is broken and would snag the wire feed. The damn things only 30 Years old!
So that went in the bin and I bought a new welder this morning. I feel better - this retail therapy has something going for it  :lol
Nothing like a bit of male retail therapy, especially when it’s a new toy :thumbup :lol .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 27 January 2022, 09:39:11 am »

Nothing like a bit of male retail therapy, especially when it’s a new toy :thumbup :lol .

Mate, I've got a loyalty card at Machine Mart, Amazon etc etc......

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 29 January 2022, 03:27:08 pm »
Wish I could get a Halfords trade card. Their tool range is more than acceptable, with a lifetime guarantee, and good savings can be had with the card. Mind you, I expect the Snap On van knows it’s own way to your house :lol .