Date: 18-04-24  Time: 09:34 am

Author Topic: Heavy/hard to pull in clutch  (Read 3314 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Heavy/hard to pull in clutch
« on: 18 February 2019, 05:45:31 pm »
Hey everyone

Been having a little issue with my FZS600 clutch recently, it has suddenly become really heavy/hard to pull in, it is causing my wrist to cramp up when riding it is that heavy.

The clutch and the bike works fine but I definitely need to find out the solution to this problem to ease the pain on my wrist.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance. 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy/hard to pull in clutch
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2019, 06:20:54 pm »
The cable might be freyed. If a few strands break and coil up it can make the clutch feel stiff

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2019, 07:08:40 pm »
Daft question but I assume you lube it regular?
What do you lube it with?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2019, 07:26:16 pm »
The cable might be freyed. If a few strands break and coil up it can make the clutch feel stiff
:agree

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2019, 07:59:41 pm »
Daft question but I assume you lube it regular?
What do you lube it with?

The covering they have on them now means they're not meant to need lubing.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2019, 08:03:03 pm »
While I agree that's what they say, I always find lube helps to keep cables free.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2019, 08:09:58 pm »
Lubing the bearings in the sprocket cover housing makes a big difference, especially if it's never been done before.
I fill mine up with white grease when the cover is off by pushing the cable adjuster nut down and spraying underneath it, then move the lever up and down and it sucks the grease in.
Worth doing anyway if the cover is gonna come off.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 09:12:25 pm »
While you’re lubing everything, don’t forget the pivot for the lever… that can get very stiff as it’s exposed to the worst of the weather and, by hiding in plain sight, often gets neglected.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2019, 09:41:17 pm »
If you look on Wemoto, they do a cable called Slinky Glide.
I have actually bought one, but i keep it as a spare and will fit it next time, but they have good reviews and are only about a tenner.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 09:43:48 pm »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2019, 10:07:52 pm »
While you’re lubing everything, don’t forget the pivot for the lever… that can get very stiff as it’s exposed to the worst of the weather and, by hiding in plain sight, often gets neglected.
Yes mine looked just fine - lube was there but it began to get notchy, remove - clean-re lube- nice and smooth.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2019, 03:51:32 pm »
If you find the cable to be ok, I put a post in the download section on how to effectively lube the actuator in the sprocket cover

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2019, 11:29:43 pm »
I have actually bought one, but i keep it as a spare and will fit it next time, but they have good reviews and are only about a tenner.

I've heard about these from a mate of mine and to be honest I debating just replacing my current clutch cable with one of these just to see if it makes my life any easier. I can't go on the way it is currently, every time I go out on the bike my left wrist is killing me by the time I get back.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2019, 06:20:20 am »

I've heard about these from a mate of mine and to be honest I debating just replacing my current clutch cable with one of these just to see if it makes my life any easier. I can't go on the way it is currently, every time I go out on the bike my left wrist is killing me by the time I get back.

Make sure you tape or cable tie the old cable together with the new one, so you can pull and guide the new one through the correct route on the bike.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2019, 09:20:29 am »

I see you raised a slipping clutch issue a few months ago and mentioned that the bike had been fitted with heavy duty springs.
If that is still the case it is the cause of your problem.
This doesn’t tally with you only recently noticing the clutch lever is ridiculously heavy of course, but HD springs do make the bike a misery to ride in traffic.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2019, 11:54:15 am »
If you swap the cable for a slinky, be sure to re-use the metal ferrule at the lever end. The slinky that I once used on a previous bike came with a nylon ferrule that lasted less than a week before it focced up. Fortunately, the old metal one was still in the bin so I fished it out anf fitted that

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2019, 01:41:40 pm »
If you swap the cable for a slinky, be sure to re-use the metal ferrule at the lever end. The slinky that I once used on a previous bike came with a nylon ferrule that lasted less than a week before it focced up. Fortunately, the old metal one was still in the bin so I fished it out anf fitted that

I’ve not opened my one yet, but that plastic part is what messed up my last cable.
Wonder if you can get the metal version as a separate?

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2019, 05:13:20 pm »

I see you raised a slipping clutch issue a few months ago and mentioned that the bike had been fitted with heavy duty springs.
If that is still the case it is the cause of your problem.
This doesn’t tally with you only recently noticing the clutch lever is ridiculously heavy of course, but HD springs do make the bike a misery to ride in traffic.

Yeah the clutch a few months ago was slipping like mad and I know for a fact the plates and springs were the EBC heavy duty ones. I hate them, my clutch had to be adjusted for the slipping to stop happening but because I live and ride in London the clutch right now is a nightmare.

Is there a different clutch plate and springs set anyone could recommend? if it meant getting rid of this problem I don't mind buying more than just a cable

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2019, 06:15:00 pm »
Have not used myself but Gecko clutch parts seem to get good reviews & are available from Wemoto (main supplier), you may need to enquire about the friction plates as they are not on their site. Smile
« Last Edit: 21 February 2019, 06:58:13 pm by bandit »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2019, 12:59:03 pm »
Go for Yamaha clutch plates and springs. The part numbers are in the parts manual in the download section. 

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2019, 05:20:17 pm »
I converted my clutch to hydraulic, light years different now, operate it with 2 fingers its so light, and consistent too.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2019, 12:15:40 am »
I converted my clutch to hydraulic, light years different now, operate it with 2 fingers its so light, and consistent too.

This doesn't sound easy to do? How did you do it? What did you use?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2019, 06:06:28 pm »

Not difficult at all. I bought a Magura kit from Venhill while I was at the Stafford bike show. Traders are willing to deal at shows and I got it at a really decent price. Everything to complete the job came with it, and it simply replaces the xisting, using the same fittings as for the stock clutch set up. Transformed the bike for me, I was struggling in traffic and on trackdays with constant gear changes impacting on my knucle joints and wrist, if I hadnt of swapped, Id have given up with the bike. No cables to adjust, lubricate, snap on me. Its a trade off as some would think them not cheap. You can get something simlar from China, but reviews and feedback appear to indicate the quality is a problem with them. You can see on the pic that the slave cylinder just locates into the existing bracket on the casing
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 06:08:38 pm by agricola »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2019, 06:07:17 pm »

Not difficult at all. I bought a Magura kit from Venhill while I was at the Stafford bike show. Traders are willing to deal at shows and I got it at a really decent price. Everything to complete the job came with it, and it simply replaces the xisting, using the same fittings as for the stock clutch set up. Transformed the bike for me, I was struggling in traffic and on trackdays with constant gear changes impacting on my knucle joints and wrist, if I hadnt of swapped, Id have given up with the bike. No cables to adjust, lubricate, snap on me. Its a trade off as some would think them not cheap. You can get something simlar from China, but reviews and feedback appear to indicate the quality is a problem with them.

This is on my FZ6 S2 Fazer. Youd have to check a kit is available for the older models
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 06:10:19 pm by agricola »

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2019, 08:15:00 pm »

Not difficult at all. I bought a Magura kit from Venhill while I was at the Stafford bike show. Traders are willing to deal at shows and I got it at a really decent price. Everything to complete the job came with it, and it simply replaces the xisting, using the same fittings as for the stock clutch set up. Transformed the bike for me, I was struggling in traffic and on trackdays with constant gear changes impacting on my knucle joints and wrist, if I hadnt of swapped, Id have given up with the bike. No cables to adjust, lubricate, snap on me. Its a trade off as some would think them not cheap. You can get something simlar from China, but reviews and feedback appear to indicate the quality is a problem with them.

This is on my FZ6 S2 Fazer. Youd have to check a kit is available for the older models

From what I can see MAGURA don't have a kit that specifically states it would fit an FZS600, they have one that just states it would fit the FZS1000.

For Venhill I can't find anything that says it could go on a FZS600, it's difficult to buy one when there are 4 or 5 different models yet they don't state what bikes they are suitable for.