Date: 19-04-24  Time: 15:50 pm

Author Topic: Weird rattle/scratching and high pitch noise from engine  (Read 4124 times)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Weird rattle/scratching and high pitch noise from engine
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2018, 10:18:46 am »
If the speedo was working fine before today before the work was done then they have either put it back wrong or snapped the lugs off the rota on reassembly.

That did cross my mind as well, it may well have been fine beforehand, but you can't discount the chance that it may have been misaligned when being put back together.
Only one way to find out though.....

Nope the the rotor sensor is fine I was there to witness the work happen, it had loads of grease in there as well, the front wheel bearing he changed has stopped the annoying noise from the video however my speedo is now just completely useless, I went out for a ride tonight and it is just jumping all over the place, the mechanic said the next thing to change would be the speed cable but I'm wary because clearly changing the rotor sensor did nothing.

You can't really 'witness' it being put back right, only by doing it yourself can you 'feel' that it's been done correctly.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of doing this will know exactly what i'm on about.
Don't 100% rule out broken lugs, if it worked okay before but doesn't now then that makes it the prime suspect.

When the noise started is when the speedo started to play up a little (once every 10 minutes maybe) when it went into the garage on Friday he took the wheel off and the rotor sensor still was in good condition and covered in loads of grease however the front wheel bearing had a lot of play, since replacing the bearing and putting the wheel back on the bike stopped making the noise but now my speedo is all over the place all of the time, it jumps from the speed I'm doing to 0mph and it does this over and over and over again.

Surely it has to be something else as the speedo started to play up before the bearing was replaced when I saw the rotor sensor, the only problem I'm having is I can't find whatever speedo wire everyone is on about anywhere for sale. If I can find one I will buy one and probably buy another rotor sensor just to be on the safe side.

As you can see from the links above if you do buy the whole thing then another rotor sensor will already come with it, just make sure you keep the one you have now as well as a spare, it just slides out.

Even that rota looks to have a snapped lug so as above keep your new one & use the replacement sensor.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 December 2018, 11:58:45 am »
If the speedo was working fine before today before the work was done then they have either put it back wrong or snapped the lugs off the rota on reassembly.

That did cross my mind as well, it may well have been fine beforehand, but you can't discount the chance that it may have been misaligned when being put back together.
Only one way to find out though.....

Nope the the rotor sensor is fine I was there to witness the work happen, it had loads of grease in there as well, the front wheel bearing he changed has stopped the annoying noise from the video however my speedo is now just completely useless, I went out for a ride tonight and it is just jumping all over the place, the mechanic said the next thing to change would be the speed cable but I'm wary because clearly changing the rotor sensor did nothing.

You can't really 'witness' it being put back right, only by doing it yourself can you 'feel' that it's been done correctly.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of doing this will know exactly what i'm on about.
Don't 100% rule out broken lugs, if it worked okay before but doesn't now then that makes it the prime suspect.

When the noise started is when the speedo started to play up a little (once every 10 minutes maybe) when it went into the garage on Friday he took the wheel off and the rotor sensor still was in good condition and covered in loads of grease however the front wheel bearing had a lot of play, since replacing the bearing and putting the wheel back on the bike stopped making the noise but now my speedo is all over the place all of the time, it jumps from the speed I'm doing to 0mph and it does this over and over and over again.

Surely it has to be something else as the speedo started to play up before the bearing was replaced when I saw the rotor sensor, the only problem I'm having is I can't find whatever speedo wire everyone is on about anywhere for sale. If I can find one I will buy one and probably buy another rotor sensor just to be on the safe side.

As you can see from the links above if you do buy the whole thing then another rotor sensor will already come with it, just make sure you keep the one you have now as well as a spare, it just slides out.

Even that rota looks to have a snapped lug so as above keep your new one & use the replacement sensor.

Blimey i never even spotted that, plus i think both sides have gone anyway.
I s'pose if it's misaligned then there's every chance both lugs will snap.  :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 December 2018, 08:24:56 pm »
Thanks for the links and all your help guys, honestly I really appreciate it as I am proper useless with this sort of thing. I have just bought the used speedo drive, will have it fitted when it arrives and I will update this post on the result of that  :) . Thanks again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 December 2018, 07:50:45 am »
It's something you really want to learn to fit yourself, i know it's a bit daunting at first and a bit fiddly but once you've done it a couple of times then you'll really get the knack of it.
I buy my tyres separately then take the loose wheel to be fitted which not only works out cheaper for me, but it means you get to clean and grease the spindle, fully grease where the sensor goes, plus it avoids the small possibility of someone else snapping the lugs for you accidentally. It's rare but not unheard of.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 January 2019, 09:39:24 pm »
I did not see your comments before buying from the second hand link that was sent in. Have I just brought a broken second hand speedo drive?  :o

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 January 2019, 11:31:11 pm »
I did not see your comments before buying from the second hand link that was sent in. Have I just brought a broken second hand speedo drive?  :o

No probably not, the broken part we speak of is the rotor sensor which fits inside the speed sensor you have bought from my link, the rota has a broken lug(s), this is the new part (rotor) you have had fitted recently, when you receive the speed sensor you can take the damaged rotor out & throw it away & fit the  replacement Ebay speed sensor.

The Rota sensor/ speed sensor see fig 13.
https://www.bike-parts-yam.com/yamaha-motorcycle/600-MOTO/1998/FAZER/FZS600/SPEEDOMETER/20_2017-2017/B41/0/23946
« Last Edit: 02 January 2019, 02:56:40 pm by bandit »

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 January 2019, 11:05:36 pm »

No probably not, the broken part we speak of is the rotor sensor which fits inside the speed sensor you have bought from my link, the rota has a broken lug(s), this is the new part (rotor) you have had fitted recently, when you receive the speed sensor you can take the damaged rotor out & throw it away & fit the  replacement Ebay speed sensor.

https://www.bike-parts-yam.com/yamaha-motorcycle/600-MOTO/1998/FAZER/FZS600/SPEEDOMETER/20_2017-2017/B41/0/23946

Thank you for explaining this for me, I will check the rotor sensor in the speedo drive when it arrives, the one that is currently on my bike I will have to see when the wheel is back off to see if it is not broken, if so, looks like i'll have to buy another rotor sensor.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 January 2019, 06:20:33 am »

Thank you for explaining this for me, I will check the rotor sensor in the speedo drive when it arrives, the one that is currently on my bike I will have to see when the wheel is back off to see if it is not broken, if so, looks like i'll have to buy another rotor sensor.

I know it's a nuisance, but if you bought the one in the link that was given it says "good condition, tested, works", but if you get it and both lugs are broken, which i suspect is the case, then it probably wasn't tested and doesn't work.
Up to you if you want to go down the refund road, or maybe even enquire if they have another rotor they could swap it with.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 January 2019, 10:31:43 pm »

I know it's a nuisance, but if you bought the one in the link that was given it says "good condition, tested, works", but if you get it and both lugs are broken, which i suspect is the case, then it probably wasn't tested and doesn't work.
Up to you if you want to go down the refund road, or maybe even enquire if they have another rotor they could swap it with.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!

The speedo drive I ordered arrived and yes one the the lugs is broken however not both. I decided to take the bike out tonight for a ride and annoying the speedo worked perfectly, at slow speed, when cruising and even when letting off the throttle the speedo would drop correctly, this speedo issue is doing my nut in, can't understand why all of a sudden the speedo decides to work perfectly for me  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 January 2019, 12:03:02 am »

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!

The speedo drive I ordered arrived and yes one the the lugs is broken however not both. I decided to take the bike out tonight for a ride and annoying the speedo worked perfectly, at slow speed, when cruising and even when letting off the throttle the speedo would drop correctly, this speedo issue is doing my nut in, can't understand why all of a sudden the speedo decides to work perfectly for me  :rolleyes

One lug will work, it's just not working at optimum ability.
While it works leave it alone, it just means a bit more stress on the one lug that's all.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 January 2019, 08:47:43 am »

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's really annoying when that happens,at least you have the spare speedometer drive if it goes again.  Smile
I would suggest it maybe a bad connection at a electrical plug which may need investigation.

« Last Edit: 05 January 2019, 11:44:19 am by bandit »