Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:11 am

Author Topic: Removing fuel tank  (Read 3199 times)

MikeBike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Removing fuel tank
« on: 27 February 2018, 10:29:22 am »
Hello guys.
I want to make my own simple maintenance for my FZS 600 1998-1999.
I downloaded the manual and it explains how to remove the fuel tank. I never removed a fuel tank and would feel more confortable if I see it first. Is there any video available that shows how to do it? Or if not, is it quite simple?
Thanks
Miguel

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Removing fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2018, 12:36:01 pm »
No cigarettes
Safest when engine is cool

Undo front tank bolt
Lift tank and either very carefully support or get someone to hold it up for you
Unclip fuel guage electrical plug
Turn off fuel tap by turning 90 degrees
Put a rag under fuel tap/rubber pipe
Using pliers prise apart the clip holding rubber pipe in place then slide down a bit
Carefully remove rubber pipe from tank (a flat blade screwdriver can help move it at the tank end)
Rubber pipe will still have fuel in it so try and empty it into the rag
Undo bolt at rear of tank
Carefully lift off tank then gently rest it somewhere safe, where it won't get kicked, or fall.

Fitting is just the reverse, especially not forgetting to turn the fuel tap back on.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 12:37:46 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2018, 03:31:58 pm »
Make sure fuel tank has vey little petrol in it when removing,  a nearly empty tank is a lot easier to manhandle than a full one.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2018, 03:16:08 pm »
No cigarettes

Undo front tank bolt
Lift tank and either very carefully support or get someone to hold it up for you
remove the breather pipes from the bottom of the tank
Using pliers prise apart the clip holding rubber pipe in place then slide down a bit
Carefully remove rubber pipe from tank (a flat blade screwdriver can help move it at the tank end)
Carefully lift off tank then gently rest it somewhere safe, where it won't get kicked, or fall.

Fitting is almost the reverse, especially not forgetting to turn the fuel tap back on. The difference is the breather pipes. When you lower the tank, from the right hand side of the bike, gently pull them back down so they do not get kinks in them. If they get kinked, you will create a vacuum in the tank and stop the bike running properly.

I have updated the list above slighty as Mike says it is a 98-99 model
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2018, 10:18:52 pm »
No cigarettes

Undo front tank bolt
remove the breather pipes from the bottom of the tank

Fitting is almost the reverse, especially not forgetting to turn the fuel tap back on. The difference is the breather pipes. When you lower the tank, from the right hand side of the bike, gently pull them back down so they do not get kinks in them. If they get kinked, you will create a vacuum in the tank and stop the bike running properly.

I have updated the list above slighty as Mike says it is a 98-99 model

:thumbup

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2021, 11:40:23 am »
Hey, noob here trying not to start annoying new repeat thread.

Just set about doing some bits: fitting a civi rack and  attempting the dual-headlight mod .
I Once I got the tank up I found two metal male pipe collects mating loosely with an oval shaped fanny above the carbs. I panicked a bit cos I was expecting fuel / breather pipes or whatevs.

Any pics or info of what a 2001 tank underside / carbs topside should look like please  ?

Ta

Yes, I left it the FUCK alone. Don't want to have my petrol soaked jeans ignite on the A38.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2021, 12:09:44 pm »

Just set about doing some bits: fitting a civi rack and  attempting the dual-headlight mod .
I Once I got the tank up I found two metal male pipe collects mating loosely with an oval shaped fanny above the carbs. I panicked a bit cos I was expecting fuel / breather pipes or whatevs.

Any pics or info of what a 2001 tank underside / carbs topside should look like please  ?

It's supposed to be like that, just make sure the drain pipe is on the back of the drain coffer, going down passed the back of the crabs and back of the crank case.  If you search the board there's plenty of pictures and info about the headlight mod and the drain coffer.

If you do the headlight mod you'll have to realign the high beam lens or you'll be dazzling oncoming traffic and you'll fail an MOT.  The high beam (right side) of the boxeye, the reflector is only high beam and will be too high even when the low beam element of the bulb is used.
Later

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2021, 12:12:38 pm »
Major thanks Gnasher. Its a bit like drinking from a hosepipe trying to find search terms that are accurate but don't exclude every useful pic or topic :)
I shall get used to it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2021, 01:26:07 pm »
Major thanks Gnasher. Its a bit like drinking from a hosepipe trying to find search terms that are accurate but don't exclude every useful pic or topic :)
I shall get used to it.

Here you go https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6412.0;attach=39196 care of vinnyb just click the link and you should download/see a picture.
Later

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2021, 03:49:45 pm »
No cigarettes

Undo front tank bolt

Fitting is just the reverse, especially not forgetting to turn the fuel tap back on.
I think you forgot to remove the seat first  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2021, 04:46:26 pm »
No cigarettes

Undo front tank bolt

I think you forgot to remove the seat first  :lol

I was sitting on it  :lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2021, 06:49:05 pm »

It's supposed to be like that, just make sure the drain pipe is on the back of the drain coffer, going down passed the back of the crabs and back of the crank case.  If you search the board there's plenty of pictures and info about the headlight mod and the drain coffer.

If you do the headlight mod you'll have to realign the high beam lens or you'll be dazzling oncoming traffic and you'll fail an MOT.  The high beam (right side) of the boxeye, the reflector is only high beam and will be too high even when the low beam element of the bulb is used.

Hiya fella, if your looking for more light have a search for spotlights on the forum.

Found it fella....try this thread https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21527.0.html
« Last Edit: 03 September 2021, 06:51:43 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2021, 01:42:45 pm »
Friends, my fuel gauge is shite since I raised the fuel tank to invesigate the dual headlamp mod. Reads full unless I'm going down a steep hill.
I guess I recalibrated it by lifting the tank without disconnecting the battery (dickhead, never again).

Will disconnecting the battery set it back to normal OR is there a different problem that I have caused ? Ta !

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2021, 07:25:23 pm »
No calibration on those, the work or they don't, float may have stuck. Try lifting the tank again, might dislodge the float. Otherwise you will need to remove the float to check it.Easy enough job if tank is less than 1/4 full. Lift the tank, support it in the upright position and remove the 4 bolts holding the float in place. 
« Last Edit: 11 September 2021, 07:26:16 pm by unfazed »

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2021, 10:43:01 pm »
You absolute star.  This board in indispensable. Thank you .

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2021, 10:30:28 am »
@unfazed fixed in five minutes this morning, you star ! Float was catching in an upright position.  Lots of lessons for me here, largely "don't lift the tank when its full, you tit".
Small bits of advice are gold dust to noobs.