Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:48 pm

Author Topic: Tyres- What age would you change tyre(s) at? AND....120 section on the front?  (Read 4040 times)

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
Hi All

Back on the fazer bandwagon again- after 9 years since owning my last 1999 FZS600!

Just about to acquire a Y2K FZS600SA with only 20.5K miles on the clock. Now the tyres on the bike are a few years old (6+ easy) and I was wondering at what sort of age you would consider replacing tyres that have not had a lot of use?

I have a 120/60/17 PR3 front unused tyre in the garage that I could fit on, but i know this is a slightly wider profile than standard spec and will in theory fit. So, this is a possible option.

Your opinions would be gratefully received!

Paul

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Look for cracks in the tyre, just looking at it should make your mind up easily enough.

You'll probably get divided opinion on the 120 front, it will fit but the front will handle slightly different, and the 110 was designed for the bike, so i personally wouldn't fit it for my bike.
Then again, if it's there doing nothing then there's no harm in trying it out if you want to.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Plus the PR3 is a good tyre, so it's not like you're chucking any old shit on it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
Sorry if you know this already, but if you look at the sidewall of the tyre you should find a four digit number stamped on it's own and this will tell when the tyre was made. For example 1016 would mean it was made in the tenth week of 2016, 4312 = 43rd week of 2012, etc.

Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Sorry if you know this already, but if you look at the sidewall of the tyre you should find a four digit number stamped on it's own and this will tell when the tyre was made. For example 1016 would mean it was made in the tenth week of 2016, 4312 = 43rd week of 2012, etc.

didnt know that - turned my last from tyre into a table and turns out that was made in 2013 so no wonder it was cracked

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile

didnt know that - turned my last from tyre into a table and turns out that was made in 2013 so no wonder it was cracked

:) :) :) :) :)

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Cracking is only one problem with old tyres, the other is that they harden, thus less grip especial in the damp or wet or cold roads
I would change them  5 years and over.

Check the date stamp  as already mentioned

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Well I've learned at least one new thing today!.

I had no idea they were date stamped.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile

Cracking is only one problem with old tyres, the other is that they harden, thus less grip especial in the damp or wet or cold roads
I would change them  5 years and over.

Check the date stamp  as already mentioned

Change them at five years???  mine don't last more than 18 months

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Change them at five years???  mine don't last more than 18 months
i very nearly typed that earlier lol

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
The front tyre is arguably the most safety critical item on a bike. Just an opinion: don't take any chances with type, age, or size.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2018, 09:44:57 am by stet »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
i was going to use a very similar saying in a upcoming video
would you trust not making a life with a 5 year old 'Rubber'
do you want to trust your own life with 5 year old Rubber ?

just replace them and get the best out of your ride while you can - use the old ones up and down the road while getting things setup but get it booked in for a tyre swap - i buy my own online and take them down the garage myself as it saves me a few quid as obviously garages charge to remove the wheels.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
By coincidence, I have just been watching your YouTube video where you were caught in snow- nasty!

A mate bought a second-hand Gixer and lost the front. The accident investigation showed that the front tyre was past its best and was not suited to the bike. Luckily, he was more or less OK but the bike was a mess.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
After brakes, tyres are one of the most important parts of a bike. They're the only things keeping you off the deck. Don't scrimp on them.

Track riders have a saying: "It's cheaper to replace the tyres, than to repair the bike."

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Great thread and going to change my rear asap as it will be 10 years old by august :eek . No cracking but poor grip in damp conditions bike still less than 6k. Tyres are Dunlop.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I have the problem that my tyres are old before they are worn (unless I get a nail  :'( ) going to get the softest I can find next time and I don't need wet grip
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.