Date: 23-04-24  Time: 20:55 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1- Spend money on it or let it go...?  (Read 2956 times)

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
Gen 1- Spend money on it or let it go...?
« on: 24 January 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
Hi all  :)

I've bought a Triumph Explorer to go touring with the Mrs, and so now my Gen 1 which I'm quite fond of is now a bit redundant. It's been Ivanised and has an R6 shock, but is looking a bit tatty and the gearbox is a bit notchy at times.

Do I keep it, fix it up, and keep it forever for the cracking bike it's been, or ebay it as is, or maybe even break it? I'm not sure what to do with her...

What do you lot think?!!

Cheers

Andy  :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1- Spend money on it or let it go...?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2018, 12:34:26 am »
If you've got the garage space I'd keep it as a project. If you decide to break it and you've a pair of Givi rack arms, can I have first dibs. :) :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2018, 02:17:59 am »
Funny you should say that, I do have a full set of givi luggage and rack I could sell, as well as a bagster tank cover and bag in black...

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2018, 08:53:55 am »
I would keep it if you can afford to, quite a few folks have ditched their GEN1 and regretted it, a fair few of those have ended up buying another.

There's an Iron Butt UK article in the Feb 2018 issue of BIKE with FazerPhil who is now riding a Tiger 800 after retiring his 100,000+ mile GEN1 with "electrical issues". He says "The Fazer was a much better bike for long distance than this Triumph. It handled better and used less fuel even though it was 1000cc. I really couldn't find anything else as good as the Fazer."
« Last Edit: 25 January 2018, 08:54:27 am by PieEater »

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2018, 02:33:29 pm »
Good point, I have read many a thread on here where people have instantly regretted selling their Gen 1’s...

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2018, 08:19:26 pm »
I'd say keep, they are surprisingly cheap to run & service for a litre bike and even reasonably cheap to restore (for now at least).

During a period of liquidity issues I sold mine and downsized to the 600.
Missed a bigger engine so overshot with an FJR1300, torquier but far heavier. Pity. 
Now back on the thousand and hope to keep this one until it becomes way too big & heavy for me.  Then off to a Yamaha Niken before the knees finally disintegrate  :rollin

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2018, 11:15:26 pm »
 After a chat with the boss, it’s staying. Thanks all for making me see sense!   :)

ullukk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2018, 03:16:28 pm »
After a chat with the boss, it’s staying. Thanks all for making me see sense!   :)
[/q
Wise man!! I had the same sort of dilemma about 3 years ago when I bought an XT660, was thinking of getting rid of my fazer 1000 when my dad convinced me it was not worth selling for what I'd probably got for it, glad he did and funny enough apart the annual summer biking holiday did nearly as many miles on it last year as I did the XT, 86000 miles on it now so think i'll just keep it on the road till it dies then lay it to rest in the corner of the garage, got a feeling might it might be a few more years yet before that time comes mind.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2018, 07:19:56 am »
"The Fazer was a much better bike for long distance than this Triumph. It handled better and used less fuel even though it was 1000cc. I really couldn't find anything else as good as the Fazer."

I read that too but didn't (and still can't) understand why he's on a Triumph - why not buy another Fazer?
is it clean enough?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2018, 08:44:02 am »
"The Fazer was a much better bike for long distance than this Triumph. It handled better and used less fuel even though it was 1000cc. I really couldn't find anything else as good as the Fazer."
I read that too but didn't (and still can't) understand why he's on a Triumph - why not buy another Fazer?
Given the mileage he does and that much of it is competitive I'd have to guess he wanted something new so he can spend his time riding rather than worry too much about maintenence. But he obviously misses his Fazer so part of me thinks he might be asking himself the same question.