Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:01 am

Author Topic: Confession and Decision  (Read 2824 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Confession and Decision
« on: 31 July 2017, 12:57:48 pm »
First, the confession.  Yesterday I took my '99 R1 out for a run, the first she's had since being taken a few miles to the testing station this time last year.  No big deal, except that this is actually the first time I've ridden at all in the last 12 months.   :o   With the Soup Dragon spending most of 2016 in and out of hospital for some pretty serious issues, I just didn't feel like riding and at the back of my mind was the nagging thought that the way our luck was going, I'd end up in A&E for good measure.  Two of us out of action wouldn't have been too clever under the circumstances.  :\

Next, the decision.  Well, decisions, in fact.  Although I love the R1 to bits, she's just too much of a missile for me to ride properly on the road these days, so I've decided to put her into mothballs for the next couple of years.  With only 16k miles on the clock, in totally original condition and absolutely mint at that, she's worth around £3.5k according to ebay.  No point in paying insurance, tax and MOT only to ride her for a couple of hundred miles each year.  So full service, drain carbs and fuel tank, up on the paddock stands and polish every few months. :)

The second decision is to get the Fazer out more.  Now, that wasn't so difficult, was it ... ?  :lol

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Confession and Decision
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2017, 02:19:55 pm »
 :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2017, 02:56:22 pm »
Don't worry about it Mike. I haven't been able to ride anything with a sports riding position since 1991. Hasn't stopped me having fun on bikes. In fact, 1991 was the year that told me that sports bikes are often just too much for the road anyway. Much as I like to open the taps once in a while when the chance comes, the Fazer is all I'm ever gonna need. Trouble with those sports bikes is, they're built for one thing, and one thing only, and it just ain't safe outside of a track. Or I wouldn't be safe on them anyway  :lol

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2017, 03:41:53 pm »

Hi Mike
Only met you the once when you Ivanised my bike many many years ago, around 20003, but have to admit I was in shock for a while there.
Keep up the good work.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2017, 05:42:20 pm »
Don't worry about it Mike. I haven't been able to ride anything with a sports riding position since 1991. Hasn't stopped me having fun on bikes. In fact, 1991 was the year that told me that sports bikes are often just too much for the road anyway. Much as I like to open the taps once in a while when the chance comes, the Fazer is all I'm ever gonna need. Trouble with those sports bikes is, they're built for one thing, and one thing only, and it just ain't safe outside of a track. Or I wouldn't be safe on them anyway  :lol

That's the exact same realisation i came to the day I took a brand new zx10r out. It was more frustrating than exciting and took more of my focus to stay at the speed limit than I was putting into riding safely. That was when I made the decision to get a more sensible bike..... and ended up with a 150hbp naked fz1 instead haha
I soon realised it doesnt need to be a sportsbike to be fast or fun. And after taking out a 2017 R6 (just to confirm my fears) I decided I never want to be a human pretzel again but i feel the hyper nakeds are the best of both worlds... at least until im old enough to wear a high vis jacket and buy a tourer anyway 😂😉

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2017, 06:16:01 pm »
Oy! Dudeo don't knock out farts with Hi Vis Vest on tourers lol!
You will be there one day.
Looked like rain this arvo so took the SLK down to Loomies in Hants for a spot of lunch and saw this sign out side by the door made me smile.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2017, 08:18:14 pm »
Luckily I don't have any physical issues with the R1 riding position but with sports bikes, everything is so focused towards going quick.  Don't get me wrong, the roads over here lend themselves to it far better than the UK but it's just too intense for me to sustain it for any length of time.  At least the Fazer is relaxing to ride between 'wild hare' moments LOL!

Whisper it quietly, but I would love to have one of the new T120 Bonnies in the garage these days ... ;)

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2017, 08:11:06 am »
I heard that, pardon.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2017, 10:24:14 am »
Cool sign but don't be so down on the Hi-Vis crowd. It is in your future too.
I moved from a gen1 to a Versys 1000 and while I still miss the Fazer a little bit, overall I am very happy.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
You will be there one day.
Looked like rain this arvo so took the SLK down to Loomies in Hants for a spot of lunch and saw this sign out side by the door made me smile.

Haha that tickled me

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2017, 09:56:36 pm »
Luckily I don't have any physical issues with the R1 riding position but with sports bikes, everything is so focused towards going quick.  Don't get me wrong, the roads over here lend themselves to it far better than the UK but it's just too intense for me to sustain it for any length of time.  At least the Fazer is relaxing to ride between 'wild hare' moments LOL!

Whisper it quietly, but I would love to have one of the new T120 Bonnies in the garage these days ... ;)

Mate just sold his T140 900 Truxton Bonny and bought himself a Harley 1200 and something or other, Kin idiot.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2017, 11:48:08 pm »
Those nice people at Triumph gave me one to play with when the Tigress was in for a service. Surprised myself in that I rather liked it.

Errr, you do realise you're going to have to adopt a completely different riding style...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2017, 07:05:20 am »
I've already got the riding style ... just need the bike for it now.  :lol

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2017, 07:13:51 am »
Got to the point few months ago I had to admit sports bikes were no longer an option dodgy knees, wrists, and back walked like Quasimodo after an hours ride. Tried a few different bikes then tried an FZ1S gen2 bought it there and then goes well handles well not met a sports bike yet that can lose it on real roads. It isn't arm chair comfortable but I don't walk like Quasimodo even after a 2/3hrs ride It's the best compromise between sports bike and comfort for an old fart hooligan I could find. Not ready for a Harley or Bonnie yet

dowtroddendave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2017, 12:10:57 pm »
Hi Mike caught myself looking at a Bonnie the other day must be an age thing, trouble is I remember what the old ones were like back in the day!!
I hope her indoors is on the mend.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2017, 03:27:00 pm »
Soup Dragon is doing very well, thanks. :)

It's the burgundy and silver Bonnie T120 that reminds me of the one I coveted back in 1968.  Might have to check out the Triumph dealership near Plymouth before I fly home ... ;)

dowtroddendave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2017, 10:57:28 am »
I always wanted the Trident T160V but too expensive, 1970's Bonnies were not the best. Ended up with a CB400F like almost everyone else in 1977. Oh dear am I really this old !! the Fazer is running a treat since you sorted her, take care.