Date: 23-04-24  Time: 10:26 am

Author Topic: SP Exhaust  (Read 2138 times)

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
SP Exhaust
« on: 24 June 2017, 09:43:48 am »
Hi guys, just bought a nice SP can from ebay, does anyone know if I have to rejet or will it run ok on standard jets?  I will prob rejet at a later date anyways but not yet if I can help it.

Cheers John
"Scattered showers my arse"........ Noah

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: SP Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 09:53:47 am »
If it's just the end can and everything else is stock (downpipes, airfilter etc) then it will be fine. If your gonna go down the rejet route then you may aswell put a higher flowing air filter in and change the pipes for stainless straight through ones that way you'll get the most benefit from the new jets

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 10:07:42 am »
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of a standard K&N replacement air filter in time.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 12:25:27 pm »
I thought the availability of a decent set of new after market headers for a Gen1 was extremely limited, bordering on non existent.I believe Muzzy were the last manufacturers to make a proper set that would give any benefit over stock. Mike(Falcon) would be the person who would know for definite.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 04:37:09 pm »
I thought the availability of a decent set of new after market headers for a Gen1 was extremely limited, bordering on non existent.I believe Muzzy were the last manufacturers to make a proper set that would give any benefit over stock. Mike(Falcon) would be the person who would know for definite.

Black widow still sell new ones on fleabay and delkavic make pipes for almost anything so they probably still do them. I'm not sure how good those particular brands are but there is still the option to buy new out there

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
The Black Widow ones make very nice door stops so I've been told. :lol

The length and how the bends are formed etc are crucial in improving over the stock headers with the exup valve onthe Gen 1.If Mike sees this thread I'm sure he can explain the technical whys and wherefores  :) . The Muzzy stuck in my mind as they made the systems when Scott Russell was in WSB.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 06:13:52 pm »
Forget Black Widow or Sandy Spares (same thing) headers for the Gen 1.  They cause nasty flat spots just where you don't need them and no amount of carb work will alter that.  It's due to the (lack of) design and R&D in the header lengths etc.   

Muzzy were the only manufacturer to come up with a set of EXUP-less headers for the Gen 1 that gave top end gains without sacrificing anything low down.  That said, their peak power gains weren't as high as Akrapovic or Yoshimura, so you pays yer money etc. ;)

Your SP can will work OK with the stock jetting and you might gain a little more power at peak rpm.  If it's a shorter can, though, you might lose a little in the low-mid range but the extra noise will probably hide this by making it at least sound more powerful.  :lol

I would hold off fitting a performance air filter until you've rejetted.  The extra air they allow in might just tip the balance of the fuelling to point where a marginal lean mixture could show up in the throttle response and part-throttle cruise.

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2017, 09:07:14 am »
Some good advise there guys, thanks. Will just fit the can for now and see how it goes.

I have found in the past that once you start modding you just cant stop, there is always another mod waiting to be done  :'(

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2017, 09:38:21 am »
Your SP can will work OK with the stock jetting and you might gain a little more power at peak rpm.  If it's a shorter can, though, you might lose a little in the low-mid range but the extra noise will probably hide this by making it at least sound more powerful.  :lol

He's right you know (as always eh Mike). Leave the baffle in though. I have a shorter SP (on a non-fazer) and can't feel any difference low down unless i take the baffle out. Even with the baffle in I can defnitely hear the difference though  :rolleyes
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2017, 08:16:10 am »
Are there measurements for the muzzy headers ?
Intentionally left blank

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2017, 08:40:03 am »
Are there measurements for the muzzy headers ?

None that I've seen anywhere on the web.  More to the point, it's not just header length ... the 'secret' of the Muzzy headers lies in the design of the collector box, which has a horizontal merge plate of a particular shape which optimizes the gas flow and scavenging effect where the output from the four pipes comes together. 

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2017, 09:36:51 am »
Holeshot still have headers I think , similar to muzzy akra etc , 
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead