Date: 24-04-24  Time: 23:44 pm

Author Topic: Insurance or accept cash to repair it myself?  (Read 10790 times)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance or accept cash to repair it myself?
« Reply #25 on: 24 June 2017, 09:52:59 am »
I've just repaired my FZ1S gen2 with from what I could see from your pics had similar damage to yours,  I bought the bike with the damage. New fairing £250, new rad cove side panel £52, new in fairing infill panel £58 all genuine parts bought from my local Yamaha dealer, right front indicator complete copy part £22.  Bagstar tank cover to hide similar damage to fuel tank £50 Ebay.  Tank being repaired and resprayed later this year £100.  £532 in parts and tank repair just over 4 hours work stripping and refitting new parts it's back to 11000mile VGC bike. Take the money offered and repair it and enjoy. My bet is the insurance company will right it off and there is no guarantee now days you will be able to buy the salvage back. Hope that helps you decide what to do 

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 June 2017, 11:10:41 am »
Take the money offered and repair it and enjoy.

But we don't know what sum he has been offered, or even if there has been an offer at all.

According to SpokesT the father has dismissed the quote and described the damage as 'just a scratch'.

That doesn't bode well for any forthcoming cash offer :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2017, 12:38:51 pm »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2017, 12:40:11 pm »
Let's face it, she's got more to loose than you have if it goes to insurance, so that's your lever. As said, show an itemised price list of parts/repairs and see what he's going to offer for the 'scratch'.

SpokesT

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 June 2017, 10:24:23 pm »
I'm not sure how anything I've posted can possibly make me look a twat, but hey it takes all sorts lol.

No money was offered to me. Below is the workshop assessment of the damage and associated costs. This is what she showed her Daddy. I've made no attempt to 'fleece' anyone, ever in my life, so maybe one of us on here is a twat, but I don't think it's me.

The incident was witnessed by a colleague in the foyer of the place I was inside of when it happened. Thanks everyone for the advice and input (even the one who think's I'm a twat for having had my bike knocked over while it was parked, im always grateful for negative role model input as a benchmark for how not to behave), it's really been appreciated in my hour of need.
Though the way be long, let your heart beat strong, keep right on to the end!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 June 2017, 10:45:07 pm »
So Daddy is arguing against a workshop estimate! He's the twat. They're bluffing. Tell them you are going the insurance route and have a witness.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 June 2017, 11:53:24 pm »
I'm loving the fact you all presume she's little rich girl 'daddy's' money

and yes perhaps twat  was a bit harsh  but answer this one if this damage had been done by yourself would you be
1. Claiming off your insurance
2. Buying all new original parts and have shop do the work £1500
3. Sourcing the parts 2nd hand looking for a tank and fairing the same colour £500 aprox

Are you out to make some extra holiday money or to punish the girl for her negligence. What was the circumstances of her reversing into the bike, had you parked behind her your photo doesn't show much of the road around. Was she on mobile phone or doing her hair (good reasons to hammer the cost)

the benefits of cash settlement has to work for both parties(not meaning you should be a soft touch and lose out) and perhaps daddy is bluffing with going through insurance, though not likely as he set that ball in motion.

I'm just

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 June 2017, 11:55:32 pm »
Note to self don't bother posting from mobile phone :/
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 June 2017, 12:01:49 am »
Few years ago I had a SMIDSY with a witness who offered video footage of the whole thing. First thing I did was contact my insurance to tell them what happened. A few days later the drivers insurance phoned and told me to get my bike fixed. Only after it was fixed did I phone my insurance and tell them I wouldn't be claiming. Didn't affect my premiums at all.

Doesn't hurt to keep your options open. If it does go down the insurance route I can't see her insurance quibbling over £1500.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 June 2017, 01:38:01 am »
Few years ago I had a SMIDSY with a witness who offered video footage of the whole thing. First thing I did was contact my insurance to tell them what happened. A few days later the drivers insurance phoned and told me to get my bike fixed. Only after it was fixed did I phone my insurance and tell them I wouldn't be claiming. Didn't affect my premiums at all.

Doesn't hurt to keep your options open. If it does go down the insurance route I can't see her insurance quibbling over £1500.

Of course they will, when the book value is lower than the claim?
As good as these bikes are, regardless of condition and mileage, they will go by the age of it.
Don't like admitting it, but it's the way of the world.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #35 on: 25 June 2017, 04:25:59 am »
On the other hand a 20 year old ( if that ) girl in a BRAND NEW - last year Audi A1 WTF  :eek
Daddy brought the car Daddy can pay for HIS mistakes

HOLD ON -Driving in flip flops !!!!!!  :eek :eek :eek im sure her insurance will have something to say about that. I had all symphy for this girl but it is fast dwindling

My thoughts as well. Inexperienced driver and driving in flip flops?!?   :rolleyes

For insurance - how does it work in the UK?
In Serbia, if it is another driver's fault 100%, your premiums stay low. At least the obligatory insurance that pays damages to other people when it is your fault.

If someone damaged my bike and weren't willing to pay for repairs, I'd go with insurance - what else is there to do?!
Would I accept cash for the price of repair using 2nd hand parts? No, I'd get that from insurance - I'd expect at least about 30% on top of that.

I had once hit a car, braking the rear signal light of the car, when I was young and inexperienced, first few months of driving. Paid the man what he had asked for - not wanting to bother with the police and thought it was the most decent thing to do to compensate him for the inconvenience. It was about 100 euros, but that was half my monthly wage at the time. My father had confirmed it was a fair thing to do, even though he was sure the price was "inflated". The upside for me was avoiding fine from the police and keeping the insurance costs low(er). Also, knowing the insurance is a bother and often takes months to pay for the damages, making sure the man doesn't have more inconvenience because of my fault was the least I could do.

A (brand new?) Audi at 20 years of age...
« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 04:39:09 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 June 2017, 07:40:07 am »
On the other hand a 20 year old ( if that ) girl in a BRAND NEW - last year Audi A1 WTF  :eek
Daddy brought the car Daddy can pay for HIS mistakes

HOLD ON -Driving in flip flops !!!!!!  :eek :eek :eek im sure her insurance will have something to say about that. I had all symphy for this girl but it is fast dwindling

My thoughts as well. Inexperienced driver and driving in flip flops?!?   :rolleyes

For insurance - how does it work in the UK?
In Serbia, if it is another driver's fault 100%, your premiums stay low. At least the obligatory insurance that pays damages to other people when it is your fault.

If someone damaged my bike and weren't willing to pay for repairs, I'd go with insurance - what else is there to do?!
Would I accept cash for the price of repair using 2nd hand parts? No, I'd get that from insurance - I'd expect at least about 30% on top of that.

I had once hit a car, braking the rear signal light of the car, when I was young and inexperienced, first few months of driving. Paid the man what he had asked for - not wanting to bother with the police and thought it was the most decent thing to do to compensate him for the inconvenience. It was about 100 euros, but that was half my monthly wage at the time. My father had confirmed it was a fair thing to do, even though he was sure the price was "inflated". The upside for me was avoiding fine from the police and keeping the insurance costs low(er). Also, knowing the insurance is a bother and often takes months to pay for the damages, making sure the man doesn't have more inconvenience because of my fault was the least I could do.

A (brand new?) Audi at 20 years of age...

Basically, in the UK, if you ever have an accident whether you caused it, they caused it, or more than likely you even witnessed it or talked about it, then everyone's insurance goes up next time.
It's a licence to print money and mug everyone off.

SpokesT

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 June 2017, 08:05:36 am »
I'm loving the fact you all presume she's little rich girl 'daddy's' money

and yes perhaps twat  was a bit harsh  but answer this one if this damage had been done by yourself would you be
1. Claiming off your insurance
2. Buying all new original parts and have shop do the work £1500
3. Sourcing the parts 2nd hand looking for a tank and fairing the same colour £500 aprox

Are you out to make some extra holiday money or to punish the girl for her negligence. What was the circumstances of her reversing into the bike, had you parked behind her your photo doesn't show much of the road around. Was she on mobile phone or doing her hair (good reasons to hammer the cost)

the benefits of cash settlement has to work for both parties(not meaning you should be a soft touch and lose out) and perhaps daddy is bluffing with going through insurance, though not likely as he set that ball in motion.

I'm just

I parked my bike at the kerbside at an approx 45degree angle, away from any other vehicle, and walked into the building where I do voluntary work for a charity.  It was standing there like the balls on a bulldog. She drove into the road, picked up her friend, then did a u turn across the width of the road next to my bike and simply reversed back across and directly into it.
I could explain my personal financial circumstances to you but they're none of your business. She asked me to get two quotes for the damage, that was one of them and the other was the same once labour was factored in but was done via email through the main dealer who supplied the bike. I thought a little independent would be as fair as possible as an alternative.
She asked for my photos to 'show dad' and he has clearly decided the damage, all his daughters fault, isn't worth forking out for, and has instructed the insurers.

I'm still struggling to work out how you've made your quantum leap assumptions. You know what they say about people who assume...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 June 2017, 08:27:53 am »
To reverse into another vehicle is simply a lack of car control either because she couldnt see,didnt look,or was otherwise distracted. That could easily have been a small child/pedestrian. There are far too many people behind the wheel who do not have the necessary skills/attitude to be in charge of a vehicle.
I dont understand middens support of the girl-what has her age/type of car got to do with the fact that she has caused damage to this bike? If she cant see behind her then she needs to do something about it before she kills or seriously injures someone.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 June 2017, 09:14:23 am »
Just remember OP - you have done nothing wrong, nothing. Having had almost the same thing happen to me in the long past and experiencing some intransigence, just think you've been helpful, got a quote and done your bit.

The idea you are trying to make something of this indicates there are some real prats on this forum.

SpokesT

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 June 2017, 09:16:05 am »
To reverse into another vehicle is simply a lack of car control either because she couldnt see,didnt look,or was otherwise distracted. That could easily have been a small child/pedestrian. There are far too many people behind the wheel who do not have the necessary skills/attitude to be in charge of a vehicle.
I dont understand middens support of the girl-what has her age/type of car got to do with the fact that she has caused damage to this bike? If she cant see behind her then she needs to do something about it before she kills or seriously injures someone.

I was parked outside the Society for The Blind. Ooohhhhhh the irony!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 June 2017, 09:20:32 am »
Is there any law about wearing suitable footwear when driving a car?.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to see that she has flip-flops on. I expected nothing more. But would they be deemed unfit for use?.

Could you drive barefoot if you so wished?. Could you ride a bike barefoot? :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 June 2017, 09:24:43 am »

Kind of what i was thinking.
Breaking it down to bare facts, she hit the stationary bike, it was fine before that, now it isn't.
Of course that's why they're named "accidents", it wasn't deliberate whatsoever, it's just that every now and again shit happens, but in this instance that accident has resulted in damage to someone else's property so she needs to take full responsibility, get things back to the way they were before the accident, and even an apology wouldn't go amiss either for the trouble caused. For instance i really rely on my bike, for daily commuting and also because i'm on call for work every other week. Without the bike i wouldn't be able to be on call so would lose money. 
It's just one of life's lessons that she needs to deal with and move on, and maybe pay more attention in the future at where she's aiming her motor.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 June 2017, 09:25:24 am »
Basically, in the UK, if you ever have an accident whether you caused it, they caused it, or more than likely you even witnessed it or talked about it, then everyone's insurance goes up next time.
If your insurance has to pay anything its regarded as "at fault" and next year your premium will probably be more than the bike is worth. Your car insurance will also go up. If her insurance pays its "no fault" and your premiums are not touched and you will not have to pay an excess. I know this from experience of both. In the "no fault" scenario they gave me a loan bike while mine was being repaired and replaced my boots and lid - I was on the stationary bike when someone drove into it. They (the drivers insurance company) said I would not be expected to be any worse off as a result of their driver's actions.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 June 2017, 09:26:02 am »

I was parked outside the Society for The Blind. Ooohhhhhh the irony!

Did her dog run out of the car to see if your bike was okay?  :lol

« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 09:43:36 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 25 June 2017, 09:33:53 am »

If your insurance has to pay anything its regarded as "at fault" and next year your premium will probably be more than the bike is worth. Your car insurance will also go up. If her insurance pays its "no fault" and your premiums are not touched and you will not have to pay an excess. I know this from experience of both. In the "no fault" scenario they gave me a loan bike while mine was being repaired and replaced my boots and lid - I was on the stationary bike when someone drove into it. They (the drivers insurance company) said I would not be expected to be any worse off as a result of their driver's actions.

I've also heard a few times of people claiming on other peoples insurance for damage caused to their vehicle through no fault of their own, the same as this scenario, and their insurance went up because they had made a claim.
Maybe different companies have different rules. They're still all slippery buggers at the best of times though.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3052191/How-drivers-insurance-costs-soar-no-fault-accidents-don-t-claim.html

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 June 2017, 10:55:26 am »
I've also heard a few times of people claiming on other peoples insurance for damage caused to their vehicle through no fault of their own, the same as this scenario, and their insurance went up because they had made a claim.
Maybe different companies have different rules. They're still all slippery buggers at the best of times though.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3052191/How-drivers-insurance-costs-soar-no-fault-accidents-don-t-claim.html

There is a central claims register they all tap into so you can't hide the claim. The online quoting engines always assume the worst. When I hit diesel on my 10 year old Fazer I had to claim because of the amount of damage I did to the car I slid into. My bike insurance went up to about 800 for 3rd party only. they tried to bump my car premiums (and my wife's) the following year and I had to phone around until I could find a company that would over-ride what the computer said. We both had 9yr + NCB and once I explained that it was a different class of vehicle and what actually happened they accepted it - did need a lot of phone calls though.

No problems with the SMIDSY though. I ended up not claiming as the driver's insurance contacted me and offered to pay. Still shows up on my history but has never affected a quote. Some companies hold it against you for 3 years and some for 5. I agree its best to keep insurance out of it altogether but you should never be penalised for someone else's mistake. SInce he wasn't on the bike it would be pretty hard for her to claim anything other than full responsibility unless the OP was illegally parked.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 25 June 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
That's a point. What about the hire bike she/her insurance will have to pay for while yours is out of action. Nice new MT07 or 09 probably the nearest equivalent :-) The cost of that will shut Daddy up  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25 June 2017, 06:07:08 pm »
I reckon the Audi A1 involved is the 150bhp turbo model.

I'd imagine you would need pretty deep pockets to insure that at 20 years old?.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25 June 2017, 07:06:22 pm »
My monies on it being a 1.4 petrol  ;) ...........and if that was my bike i would put an insurance claim in , when stripping down the bike you might find other damage  , although at 1500 they will write it off...when i had a low spill on my 600 boxeye repairs came to 500 , insurers were happy with that.....good luck   
One, is never going to be enough.....