Date: 30-05-24  Time: 03:49 am

Author Topic: Who's done what to their forks? And are you happy with them?  (Read 3149 times)

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Who's done what to their forks? And are you happy with them?
« Reply #25 on: 29 April 2017, 02:30:16 pm »

For me I would worry that 15w would be a step too far considering I am just under 10st and have the same oil in for 19 years but only 20k miles, I have no cornering issues, my forks are non adjustable anyway. I think I too would but 10w in as old for new would be enough of a change --------- wouldnt it ?

Change the bloody oil, even 1w will be better than what you're on now.
Would you drink a 19 year old pint of beer, just 'cos it ain't been opened? (spirits don't count)
At your weight 10w would be fine, i'm a tad heavier than you. Saying that though, i just felt that the steering handled so much better.

I can’t see any reason to change it. The oil won’t “go off” with age, it’ll gradually pick up wear debris, but that’ll be insignificant over that mileage. The only other contaminant would be water… I’ve been amazed how quickly the oil gets turned into mayonnaise, even on bikes with 10psi of air in the forks, but on a bike that doesn’t see rain that isn’t going to be an issue.

Oh come on, even just to give the bike a treat, it deserves a change after NINETEEN years  :lol
Given the difference it's made to mine you might be surprised how much better it feels :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 April 2017, 03:01:02 pm »
Hmmm the problem is that I dont ride enough as it is and any spare time I would rather ride it if the change would make so little difference to me. Maybe wait until the seals go or something.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 April 2017, 04:24:16 pm »
Hmmm the problem is that I dont ride enough as it is and any spare time I would rather ride it if the change would make so little difference to me. Maybe wait until the seals go or something.

Seals normally rust, then lift up.
You should get another 19 years out of yours.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.