Date: 25-04-24  Time: 10:44 am

Author Topic: Sports Bike Shop  (Read 5202 times)

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Sports Bike Shop
« on: 26 February 2017, 03:37:20 pm »
Any body used them before. I need to get a new helmet and wet weather gear. Any comments will be appreciated.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Sports Bike Shop
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2017, 04:30:20 pm »
Bike gear needs to be tried on, i could never buy blind online.
Whenever i need a new jacket i normally spend a couple of hours in a shop before finding something i'm comfortable with.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2017, 04:33:04 pm »
Used them quite a few times and they've been great. Bought helmet and jacket from them as well other little stuff. Always been good prices and quick delivery.  8)

as in the comment above it's better if you can try stuff on but they've never been a problem when exchanging stuff for a different size. I knew the right size helmet to get but my jacket needed to be changed for a different size and they were fine about it. I live on an island and the bike shop here has very limited stock so much easier to buy online.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2017, 05:21:29 pm »
I have used them a few times without issue, returns and exchanges easy. Don't forget though that any saving you make can get eaten up with return postage

But best to go and try stuff on, it all comes in different shapes and sizes like all of us, go for what fits you best not the brand.

I find the Revzilla site pretty good for giving a better idea on fit etc (if you can put up with the American accent) [size=78%]https://www.revzilla.com/[/size]

As long as they aren't rip off merchants you should try and support your local dealer or clothing outlet otherwise they will go out of business (not good for competition in the long run)

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2017, 06:18:50 pm »
Safety helmet, and loads of WD 40 liberally sprayed all over = safe and fully waterproof, what more do you need for biking in inclement weather.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2017, 07:08:14 pm »
I've bought loads of kit from them over the years. Exchanging for different sizes is flawless as they usually send out the new jacket/helmet/boots with their courier and you do a switch at your front door. They'll take them back as many times as needed within 1 year as long as it's not been used and still has all labels/stickers etc
They also price match everything as long as you can show them proof of the cheaper price.
As others have said trying on first is a good idea of possible. I try to find thing as the local stores then buy them cheaper online. Not the most ethical thing but none of them are going out of business so I'm sure it's alright haha

King Orry

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 650 Vstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2017, 09:59:55 pm »
I visited them last year, just after they moved to the new (huge) place Sth of Boston. I wanted a part quickly so went to collect, found them great to deal with. I thought they were setting up a shop in the front of the warehouse, not checked, but if so, and you're not a million miles away I'd definitely pop and see them.
As already mentioned, it's always best to try before you buy, especially helmets. Other option obviously is to try one locally and then purchase on the web, though many dealers will haggle if you try, and it's good to support ya local shop. You never know when you'll need em.
Re-wet weather gear. I'm tempted by some ex army goretex leggings on a local market for £20. 100% waterproof and they have full-length zips down the outside so easy to pull on over boots etc. Bargain, so long as you don't mind the Action Man DPM look.  :rollin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2017, 08:13:32 am »
A big thumbs up for army goretex trousers especially if you can get them unissued i.e brand new.Started using them in the late 90's for serious trail riding.Back then the Dutch army issue were the ones to have as the legs were a decent length so with some gaffa tape round the ankles to seal the bottoms you were good for river crossings and whatever else the forests had to throw at you.I'm using German goretex at present, with as has been said the long side zips so you can easily and quickly get them over the biggest boots.Don't care what I look like as long as I'm dry.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

samsfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2017, 01:02:45 pm »
Dealt with them once and returns were fine.  However personally worry about buying a helmet as you never know if it's been returned after being mishandled.  The same risk may also apply to a shop helmet but I always thought that shops did not accept helmet returns.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2017, 01:44:06 pm »
Dealt with them once and returns were fine.  However personally worry about buying a helmet as you never know if it's been returned after being mishandled.  The same risk may also apply to a shop helmet but I always thought that shops did not accept helmet returns.

Talking of Helmets, do you like my new puppy the Mrs got me for Christmas? apparently it's an English Knob Hound

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2017, 05:14:39 pm »
I've bought helmets and other gear from them.  It's no problem if things are the wrong size as the returns system and customer service are both superb.  I happily pay a bit more to them than, for example, an eBay seller because of the service.  I don't work for them by the way!!
Laziness leads to efficiency!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2017, 06:27:33 pm »
I've bought helmets and other gear from them.  It's no problem if things are the wrong size as the returns system and customer service are both superb.  I happily pay a bit more to them than, for example, an eBay seller because of the service.  I don't work for them by the way!!
It depends on what you are buying - if it is a helmet you never know if it has been dropped by the last person who sent it back, with the difference being that in most shops you dont buy the one you try on if you try it on in the shop then they are ones for trying on and then they get you one out the back, or order it in.
Also there is the postage cost that sending something back may well negate the good value 

« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 06:28:42 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
Good point about the helmet.  But returns with them are free of charge.  I don't think they are any cheaper than anyone else, just really good service.

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2017, 07:18:04 pm »
I use them a lot, but I'm lucky enough to live near Boston where they are based so just go to the shop
they are a good bunch of lads & most of them are bikers so they know what they are talking about, as said before they are no cheaper than anyone else but their service is second to none

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2017, 09:19:15 pm »
I've never used them, other than to internet 'window shop' stuff. I'm more of a demon tweeks fella. I've got a branch of J&S and a CMC discount outlet not too far from me. To be honest I'm not to fussed, I try to get stuff that's been well discounted.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

iamthearrison

• CBT Wobbler
  • Motorcycling craft beer nerd
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2017, 10:44:41 pm »
Theyre sound. Had a pair of boots from them, the zip broke, they replaced them no questions asked, even paid the postage for the return. Cant fault their service.
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe Ill have another beer

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2017, 11:46:32 pm »
 hi folks, I went to their new shop yesterday, it's much bigger than the old one and easier to find andit's only 40 miles from me. Used them several times and always been impressed. good prices and helpful. Never had to return anything cos I've always bought in the shop

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2017, 10:38:42 am »
I've ordered a few things from them this week, one parcel turned up the next day and the other which was meant to be 3-5 days came within two. I'd use them again. I've not needed to use their returns though, everything was spot on.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2017, 10:44:07 am »
Another positive experience from me with them to add to the mix :)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2017, 04:57:00 pm »
I recently purchased a pinlock from them.  They sent it in a massive bubble wrap mail bag that the postie then folded to get in my letter box.  Can't blame the postie there was nothing about do not bend and nothing to make the bag rigid.  The pinlock was focced as a result.

I phoned the sportsbike shop and they sent me a free refund sticker to post it back and stuck a new one in the post appropriately packed, so all in all, given it was a great price I would use them again because they fixed their error with no hassle.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2017, 05:20:51 pm »
I've used them loads of times and their delivery time is second to none. Always top quality service and very helpful if you need advice.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 March 2017, 06:15:05 pm »
 :agree  And no  rridiculous  delivery charges even on small items
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2017, 08:16:43 am »
I have to say, I have bought two helmets from them.  Both were well packaged and looked like they've never been opened.  I will seriously bear in mind the earlier comment re the possibility of being dropped by a previous customer but I feel pretty confident using them. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2017, 12:12:56 pm »
I think (in past years anyway ) you could get a £10 voucher just for having an insurance quote from MCN.
Or was it after you took out the insurance  :\ or was it a different bike shop  :\
Anyone !

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2017, 04:51:26 pm »
I think (in past years anyway ) you could get a £10 voucher just for having an insurance quote from MCN.
Or was it after you took out the insurance  :\ or was it a different bike shop  :\
Anyone !

It was carol Nash doing that offer last year but you had to get an over the phone quote for some reason, an internet quote wouldn't work?  Probably so they could try and strong arm you into taking the policy