Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:07 pm

Author Topic: Wiring GPS to ignition switch  (Read 1175 times)

bajaru

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Wiring GPS to ignition switch
« on: 16 January 2017, 04:50:31 am »
Hi all.

I would now like to hard wire my GPS to Gen1 and am wondering if anyone's done the same to their ride or at least point me to the source/guide so I can have it done myself.

Cheers

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring GPS to ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2017, 01:21:40 pm »

Hi bajaru,
I recently fitted a Garmin to my Gen 1, and decided to use one of the spare terminals on the fuse box as a switched power source, only on when the ignitions on, and once done you have a go to power source should you want to fit another device at a later date. Mines a 2005, but pretty sure the wiring diagram is the same for 2003 onwards. If you remove the fuse box from its mounting under the seat and look underneath, you'll see six sections, two of which don't have wires in. I used the third from the left as viewed underneath. If you remove the fuse it's possible to prise out the fuse holder which will have two terminals, one spare and one with a wire on. Solder your GPS power lead, which will have its own fuse, to the spare tag, and then reassemble. Then just follow the installation instructions you got with the GPS. Good luck :) .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2017, 10:44:01 pm »
I just take a feed from the side light.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2017, 08:14:01 pm »
Recently fitted my heated grips to a switched live using the spare auxillary/accessory cable on my Gen2 bike (located under tank).  May be spare cables on the Gen1?