Date: 19-04-24  Time: 02:15 am

Author Topic: Cut out at 4000rpm!?  (Read 1224 times)

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Cut out at 4000rpm!?
« on: 30 December 2016, 09:24:53 am »
Bike had been sat for a couple of weeks, started her up after a few goes but she'd cut out at 4000rpm?  Once she was running for a while and I'd taken her for a spin everything's normal.  Is this normal for a bike been sat for a while or is it a sign of something I need to be servicing/looking at?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Cut out at 4000rpm!?
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2016, 12:00:27 pm »
Totally cut out i.e. suddenly died or just running rough for a while?  A couple of weeks stood up wouldn't normally be long enough for the fuel to go off or gum up the carbs but could possibly be long enough for some damp or condensation to get into the electrics which would have dried off once the bike got warm hence why the problem went away. If you have the time and inclination I'd suggest going through all of the electrical connectors physically checking that there is no signs of damage and spraying some WD40 or ACF50 into the blocks and connectors to drive out any water and ensure that moisture is repelled. If the bike was running rough rather than plain cutting out you could run some redline fuel system cleaner through it.

Hopefully that's something to be going on with whilst others pitch up with some other ideas.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2016, 12:53:16 pm »
Did you have the choke on? When I had my gen1 it would bog down and sometimes cutout if I tried to give it too many revs from cold in really cold weather, I learnt to let it warm up for a minute or two with the choke on then turn choke off before giving it any revs.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2016, 01:11:28 pm »
PieEater, it would suddenly cut out not run rough, well, no rougher than a normal cold start.

slappy, Choke on and choke off.  I'm thinking it just needed warming up a little more before giving it the revs.  It has been particularly cold of late.  I'll see what it's like when I return to work on Tuesday, hopefully it'll not do the same.