Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:02 am

Author Topic: FZ1 Gen 2 shock change  (Read 2508 times)

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
FZ1 Gen 2 shock change
« on: 28 November 2016, 08:40:13 pm »
Help!
Blown the rear shock on the 2009 FZ1 - only used for commuting so at 43,000 miles seems quite low mileage but then the roads are pretty bumpy....

Anyway got a second hand one on ebay 11,000 miles (as new one £ lots) but not too sure how to undo the top bolt and what needs to be removed so that the bolt can withdraw about 50 mm on the rhs. Is it easier to loosen the subframe?
Removing the bottom brackets and dropping the shock looks ok if I can jack it up to get enough clearance or over the pit.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Gen 2 shock change
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2016, 08:55:02 pm »
Put the bike on its centre stand, take off the two side panels, undo the rear brake reservoir & swing it out of the way and you've got good access to the top nut and bolt.  I think its easier to remove the shock from the bottom and don't missplace the 2 "top hats" that fit into the frame. If it's too tight for space you might have to move the rec/reg out of the way- but thats unlikely.
Rob

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2016, 09:57:53 pm »
Thanks Rob
Was worried about the clearance on the RHS.
Hopefully the newish one should arrive tomorrow. Am sure the only way to remove it is from the bottom - thanks for the reminder about the top hats.

Do you know if they are sealed for life or rebuildable?

orlando

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2016, 10:01:01 pm »
I'm short so often lower bikes that I own. The wilbers lowering kit on my FZ1S consisted of shocker and links. I dropped the OE shock out through the bottom. Very easy and accessible compared to most bikes i've lowered. The replacement shock installed in reverse, up through the swinger. BTW 43k out of the original shock is good value, considering it is basic kayaba stuff.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2016, 10:57:14 pm »
Don't know if they're rebuildable or not but wouldn't have thought so. I guess if they're sealed for life that means 43k !!
ATB
Rob

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2016, 01:51:24 pm »
Hi Rob

Thanks for the guidance - I was worried that the bolt would hit the ABS pump so hopefully tomorrow night will make the change as the ebay one arrived last night and seems in good order but has yellow spring instead of silver.... (we have a couple of KTMs/Husabergs for enduro and seem to change a lot of springs to get the weight right). Old one in bin then.

No damping makes for a grim ride especially in the frost. New tires (have flattened off) and new shock should do the job.

Have you rebuilt the front end as 43,000 is a long way commuting and am sure the oil is emulsified by now. Is it straightforward?

By the way the dog bone adjuster on the other post is very smart. Lathe at home or work?

Thanks again

orlando

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2016, 08:12:26 pm »
I put a photographed post up a while ago for the dismantling of gen2 forks, and replacing oil.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,16119.msg185261.html#msg185261
« Last Edit: 01 December 2016, 06:14:09 am by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2016, 08:58:50 pm »
I don't have ABS on my bike, just hope that you do have the necessary clearance. Poorly Myford in my shed.
Rob

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2016, 06:21:28 am »
I found the picture step by step,,
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,16119.msg185261.html#msg185261

you don't have to take the legs apart to change the oil, just remove the caps and leave them overnight draining, pumping the pistons time to time
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2016, 03:14:11 pm »
Hi Rob

Many thanks for the links through and detailed – so remove the caps and drain down; I’ll need to check on line for exact oil quants (assume it’s not measured on air gaps). Something for Xmas break. Think your fork compressor is a great idea!

Swapped over the shock last night – all generally good had to release the ABS pump to get the top bolt out; no top hat only a sleeve on the rhs that needed gently tapping back with a long punch/silver steel rod as it lined up with the shock bolt hole (hope it’s now drawn back ok when I did up the bolt). Bike rides a lot better now and have some final adjustments to make at the weekend and maybe properly grease the bearings that I didn’t do last night – annoying not to be able to get rid of the slack in the rear suspension even after fitting new bearings (last year).

Thank you for all your advice.

Myford – amazing what you can do with one!

Have a good weekend
orlando