Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:31 pm

Author Topic: Hello from Dublin  (Read 3333 times)

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Hello from Dublin
« on: 07 September 2016, 11:14:37 pm »
Hi all,

I've just joined today with the intention of buying an FZS600s, 99-03 model.

I currently ride a 2014 Tiger 800, love it.
I'm getting the Fazer as a second bike for fun, to ride through the winter (ACF50'd obviously) and also the missus wants to learn to ride so she might ride it after her training is done. I have a feeling it's gonna be a bike that'll stick with me for years to come.

So I'm hoping to read the forums and get a crash course in what to look for when buying as I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to reading up and getting involved!

Cheers

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Dublin
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2016, 11:54:32 pm »
welcome,,theres a few of us paddys here  :D ,im from the real capital myself  :pokefun tiz a great forum for all things fazer and a bit of craic aswell,,,if your budget will allow it id go for the foxeye model rather than the earlier one you mentioned as it has much better lights ,to find your way out of dublin  :lol
please god let the sun keep shining

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2016, 06:21:49 am »
welcome,,theres a few of us paddys here  :D ,im from the real capital myself  :pokefun tiz a great forum for all things fazer and a bit of craic aswell,,,if your budget will allow it id go for the foxeye model rather than the earlier one you mentioned as it has much better lights ,to find your way out of dublin  :lol

Haha Cheers much appreciated! I've heard this is a good aul forum alright.

There's a fox-eye in Wicklow I was thinking of viewing today with 55,000km, needs fork seals done though and don't know if the Valve clearances have been checked yet...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2016, 07:13:13 am »
Welcome(Failte).
Are there many Fazers for sale in Eire?
We are spoilt for choice over here but CONDITION can vary immensely from old nail to immaculate.
Service history(evidence thereof) more important than mileage. You may find valve clearances still ok @ 35000miles.
Fork seals-check for corrosion on sliders. But you sound as though you know all this sort of thing.
Wicklow-ah fond memories apart from the Irish rain which is a lot wetter than English(but not Welsh!) :lol

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2016, 05:50:56 pm »
Welcome(Failte).
Are there many Fazers for sale in Eire?
We are spoilt for choice over here but CONDITION can vary immensely from old nail to immaculate.
Service history(evidence thereof) more important than mileage. You may find valve clearances still ok @ 35000miles.
Fork seals-check for corrosion on sliders. But you sound as though you know all this sort of thing.
Wicklow-ah fond memories apart from the Irish rain which is a lot wetter than English(but not Welsh!) :lol

Cheers! There's always a couple for sale but condition is usually not great to be honest.

I got pretty lucky today though as I viewed an absolute cracker.

It was only put up for sale last night so I think it may have been a matter of fastest finger first!

So I put a deposit down on it, Collecting it Sunday.. one happy Foccer!  :)

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2016, 05:54:38 pm »
Here it is...

Body work, Tank, Frame paint all absolutely flawless except for some rust on the lower forward part of the frame either side of the headers unfortunately.

As soon as I get her home I'll be sanding this area down and prepping and respraying it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2016, 05:05:45 am »
Nice looking Foxeye! (Shame its not RED-or even better Vivid RedCocktail :lol ).
Is that a tubular tax disc holder at rear near side below seat?
Enjoy Fazership!

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2016, 07:14:03 am »
Nice looking Foxeye! (Shame its not RED-or even better Vivid RedCocktail :lol ).
Is that a tubular tax disc holder at rear near side below seat?
Enjoy Fazership!

Cheers Dave, I have read the red ones are the fastest... I'll have to put that to the test  :D

It is indeed, I'd say I'll move that actually, on my tiger I have it mounted underneath the instrument cluster.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2016, 07:39:15 am »
Reason i mention that is that they discontinued paper tax discsover here a couple of years back. Do you have to show an insurance & MOT disc like I noticed on cars last time I was in your fair & pleasant land?
PS I believe some BLUE bikes can be quite fast!!!

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2016, 07:46:40 am »
Reason i mention that is that they discontinued paper tax discsover here a couple of years back. Do you have to show an insurance & MOT disc like I noticed on cars last time I was in your fair & pleasant land?
PS I believe some BLUE bikes can be quite fast!!!

We must show a tax disc, and that's it. We have no MOT test here for bikes... Not yet anyway, I believe they are talking about bringing in an annual road worthiness test for motorcycles by 2020 or 2022.

So at the moment all a bike really needs to be on the road is headlight, tail light, rear reflector, number plate light, indicators!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2016, 09:22:14 am »
Good choice. I've got a Foxeye as well as a Tiger 800. Fazer seems tiny doesn't it, when transferring from the Tiger.

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2016, 09:43:18 am »
Good choice. I've got a Foxeye as well as a Tiger 800. Fazer seems tiny doesn't it, when transferring from the Tiger.

Cheers, It certainly does in comparison.

One of the secondary functions of the Fazer was so that my missus could learn to ride on it soon, I was concerned it might be a bit tall for her, til I went to view it. It's perfect!

How do you find the Tiger 800?

I think its great, just back from a trip across France, although I was extremely disappointed to see corrosion on various parts of my engine on a two year old bike that I always wash and treat with ACF-50

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2016, 10:59:20 am »
ah great to see you got a cracker lad,,shes clean as a whistle alright ,,what year is she ? ,,ive a thou myself and when i sit on my mates 600 it feels so light and nimble its crazy ,,plenty of poke if you just make it sing a little though  :) ,, make sure to check the front sprocket nut as there known to slip off due to too fine a thread ,but is an easy fix with a new nut and washer ,,theres a thread in here somewhere on it ,,very lucky find that clean ,,well wear
please god let the sun keep shining

Nomad Lad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2016, 01:17:08 pm »
ah great to see you got a cracker lad,,shes clean as a whistle alright ,,what year is she ? ,,ive a thou myself and when i sit on my mates 600 it feels so light and nimble its crazy ,,plenty of poke if you just make it sing a little though  :) ,, make sure to check the front sprocket nut as there known to slip off due to too fine a thread ,but is an easy fix with a new nut and washer ,,theres a thread in here somewhere on it ,,very lucky find that clean ,,well wear

Cheers pal, shes a 2003, I had a read about that front sprocket nut situation.

That'll be one of the first things I check, last thing i wanna see is the front sprocket over taking me in the middle of a bend!

Roll on Sunday when I take her home!  :D

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2016, 01:40:57 pm »
How do you find the Tiger 800? [/size]

Like you I use it for distance. Just back from a 1000 miler to Brittany, and earlier in the year did 2500 to Czech. It's great for those jobs. All day in the saddle for 300-400 and no aches and pains. I've got the latest version with Cruise Control which is even better. Fazer is used for everything else, and I wouldn't be without it. So easy to ride like a pair of comfy slippers. Does everything.

Not seen any sign of corrosion on my Tiger yet. Perhaps I'd better get the torch out !

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2016, 04:55:41 pm »
How do you find the Tiger 800?

Like you I use it for distance. Just back from a 1000 miler to Brittany, and earlier in the year did 2500 to Czech. It's great for those jobs. All day in the saddle for 300-400 and no aches and pains. I've got the latest version with Cruise Control which is even better. Fazer is used for everything else, and I wouldn't be without it. So easy to ride like a pair of comfy slippers. Does everything.

Not seen any sign of corrosion on my Tiger yet. Perhaps I'd better get the torch out !

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2016, 04:56:32 pm »
[quote]How do you find the Tiger 800?