Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:28 am

Author Topic: R6 shock fitting project.  (Read 3372 times)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
R6 shock fitting project.
« on: 06 June 2016, 04:59:04 am »
I've acquired this shock and want to know what I'd need to get it to fit on my fzs600-fazer,
Thanks.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Re: R6 shock fitting project.
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2016, 05:09:57 pm »
Mail Kebab19

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2016, 06:35:57 pm »
Look exactly the same as the one on devilsam page.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2016, 06:55:32 pm »
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2016, 06:56:49 pm »
I thought so too :) but he's fitting them into 1000's I've only got a wee 600 :(
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2016, 11:54:56 pm »
I thought so too :) but he's fitting them into 1000's I've only got a wee 600 :(

Providing it fits it shouldn't be an issue, the weight difference between the two bikes shouldn't make to much of a difference. Swingarm length may a factor though, longer the arm the stronger the spring will need to be. Thats why I've ended up with a 16 kg/mm spring

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2016, 03:06:48 am »
Providing it fits it shouldn't be an issue, the weight difference between the two bikes shouldn't make to much of a difference. Swingarm length may a factor though, longer the arm the stronger the spring will need to be. Thats why I've ended up with a 16 kg/mm spring
Well it fits! But as you say and I've read before, the swingarm is the problem.
Fitted it last night and my knees are now bending quite a bit when I sit on the bike and I'm a short arse at 5'5" so I'll definitely need to look at shorter dogbones or heavier spring :(
A wee test ride today to work will let me see how much difference it makes as its only 10miles and mostly motorway but it'll give me an idea of it working.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2016, 03:09:54 am by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2016, 04:56:33 am »
If the rear is to low a spring wont raise it, just prevent it from sagging too much when you put weight on it

Me thinks your still going to need those dogbones

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2016, 05:31:38 am »
If the rear is to low a spring wont raise it, just prevent it from sagging too much when you put weight on it

Me thinks your still going to need those dogbones
:agree
Colin
----------------------

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2016, 01:02:00 pm »
When I bought my R6 shock from kebab it came with a new spring, dog bones, spacers, and a high tensile bolt plus it was already set up for my weight. Not bad for less than 200 quid.

Goof luck getting all the other bits.  ;)
« Last Edit: 08 June 2016, 01:02:46 pm by CaptainCazador »

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2016, 01:16:03 pm »
I did drawings of the parts you need machined/lasercut/make them yourself with a hacksaw.
I think they are in my build thread but if not i have them on my work computer. I went pretty short with the dogbones for geound clearance but you can still use the centee stand easily and I've grounded my bellypan once or twice so you couls probably go shorter than i did again. I've pushed my forks like 25mm through the triples though (the most you can go and still have wheel to radiator clearance as i recall) to drop the front end though.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2016, 11:17:29 am »
Well it all seams to be working fine......

Fitted the shock after sourcing some Scottish priced spacer washers :thumbup and the top bolt on the Fazer went in through the top hole in the shock and was a nice snug fit, greased and bolted it up with a couple of washers either side :)

Now the dogbones were a different issue :(
With original ones the bike was way too low but not anywhere near the tyre so this got me thinking that the spring on this must be a stronger one than on original R6 shocks.
So in the meantime I've decided to purchase some flat bar of appropriate measurements and make up a couple of dogbones to let me see how it sits with the correct length of bones.
My drilling was going great till I discovered that any drill bits I had above 10mm wasn't going to cut butter never mind metal :(
So I take them to work to get cut out a wee bit more, that takes an extra day out my testing/riding but still, it's done now.
So dogbones on and all linkage greased up I think all looks good so think I'll try it out on a wee journey along main road before I venture onto the twisty ones!
Ended up doing a 90 mile run up to Callander and back over the Dukes Pass and for those that don't know this road it's seriously twisty!
Bike rear end held really well and never bounced like it did with old shock.
Very pleased with the results so just need machined dogbones to swap my homemade ones and think I'll be really happy with my mod.

Now onto my front springs replacement mod :)
Colin
----------------------

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2016, 09:34:55 pm »
glad you got it sorted Sinto, the front springs will make a big difference also, for me, stopped the bike bogging down in the corner entry, so with the rear mods and new springs should be a really responsive ride

did you mess with the rebound or compression damping at all?

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2016, 10:37:49 am »
glad you got it sorted Sinto, the front springs will make a big difference also, for me, stopped the bike bogging down in the corner entry, so with the rear mods and new springs should be a really responsive ride

did you mess with the rebound or compression damping at all?
Cheers mate, yes it's certainly a different bike and as you say once the front end is done it'll be even better.

I've not messed around too much with settings as I didn't really know where to begin but I just moved them all to central which gave me a starting point.
I've now sourced the manual and settings (thanks to kebab19) that I'll change to later today and run with them for a week, that's after I go to my mates workshop to get my sag measurements etc and get that part sorted too.
All looking good so far :thumbup
Colin
----------------------