Date: 18-04-24  Time: 19:06 pm

Author Topic: Euro road trip spares...  (Read 1807 times)

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
Euro road trip spares...
« on: 05 April 2016, 02:35:41 pm »
Hi guys.
Two of us heading off in June covering around 3.5k miles. Bikes are gen 1 & 2 Fazer 1000, both have just been treated to new chain and sprockets and a good check over whilst in the local Yamaha dealer for the work.
They are in good health and will have fresh oil and filter before we head off.

So far for my gen 2 I have spare levers, 2 coil sticks, clutch cable gaffer tape and various size zip ties  :rollin
For the gen 1 so far I think he has levers and cables.
We have puncture repair sorted, spare bulbs and fuses,  chain lube stupid stickers for helmets when in France... good selection of hand tools. ...
So what else should I be taking or things to do before we go.

Countries being covered France Belgium Germany, Austria Hungary Slovakia Switzerland Netherlands and Italy... think that's it  :D

Thoughts and or comments  :)
To become old and wise you have to have been young and stupid......

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
Re: Euro road trip spares...
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2016, 03:30:13 pm »
Personally, I'd junk the spares, its not like your going to sub-Sahara Africa, most of the counties are well served by Yamaha dealers and if you think those components are going to fail (clutch cable) change them now. If your in the UK you wouldn't think twice about doing that sort of mileage between services.

I did 4.5K to Malta, visiting all but Slovakia and Hungary on your list, back in 2014 and only had cable ties, puncture repair kit with additional CO2 bottles, cheap (£10) compressor from tescos, front & rear spindle sockets with large breaker bar. plus obviously standard tool kit with added 6mmAF Allen key, can't get tank off otherwise.

My GEN 1 had a good service beforehand and a new chain and sprockets and had done 35k  before the trip

Just make sure to get a recovery/breakdown insurance and most of all just get out there and enjoy!!!!!!!!  :D

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2016, 03:46:32 pm »
Personally, I'd junk the spares, its not like your going to sub-Sahara Africa, most of the counties are well served by Yamaha dealers and if you think those components are going to fail (clutch cable) change them now. If your in the UK you wouldn't think twice about doing that sort of mileage between services.

I did 4.5K to Malta, visiting all but Slovakia and Hungary on your list, back in 2014 and only had cable ties, puncture repair kit with additional CO2 bottles, cheap (£10) compressor from tescos, front & rear spindle sockets with large breaker bar. plus obviously standard tool kit with added 6mmAF Allen key, can't get tank off otherwise.

My GEN 1 had a good service beforehand and a new chain and sprockets and had done 35k  before the trip

Just make sure to get a recovery/breakdown insurance and most of all just get out there and enjoy!!!!!!!!  :D

The levers and cables are more for if the bike drops and they get broken  :lol
Yes good breakdown and insurance will be in place  :D

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2016, 04:44:17 pm »
Agree - i do 3-7,000miles in Europe every year; forget taking the parts. If you are worried, put them in a jiffy bag and if the worst happens get someone to post them out to where you are staying.

Zip ties, insulation tape, self amalgating tape and chain lube are all I bother with.

You'll end up carting a load of stuff around you don't need.

edit: and tyre gunge and good RAC cover.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2016, 04:47:49 pm by pilninggas »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2016, 07:00:36 pm »

Roadside repair, luckily I've never had to do too much of it. Can you adjust the chain, remove the wheels, change spark plugs, replace brake fluid and clutch cable, oil and filter change, replace throttle cables, adjust linkages, inflate and maybe even plug a tyre, replace brake pads, and find electrical faults. . . It might be worth trying out some maintenance with only your travel tool kit, I think if you've got enough kit to do most of this you've got it well covered.  :lol
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2016, 07:38:42 pm »
My mate on our first euro trip even packed water and oil , lol, silly twat, did he think we were going to the moon ?

A short piece of rubber hose to take petrol from one bike to a bottle.
No spares, just tape,wire,cable ties.Bulbs.Tools.Puncture kit,tiny bike pump
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2016, 08:16:14 pm »
Cheers guys lol