Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:03 am

Author Topic: Sticky throttle  (Read 1597 times)

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Sticky throttle
« on: 02 March 2012, 07:16:37 pm »
Ok so I'm all questions and no answers at the moment. The bike has been laid up over winter. Started on the button but the throttle is a little sticky. I will take it for a run this weekend but do you have any tips on a quick fix/lube for throttle cable ? Drop a bit of 3 in 1 ?.

I hope the run will loosen it up a bit anyway.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky throttle
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
To be a bit clearer. If I open the throttle and then let go if does not quickly snap back super quick.
 When I open the throttle there is a bit of a lag for the engine to rev. This does seem to improve when the engine has fully warmed up.

I am out to do bike safe with the Po Po next weekend and want the bike to be in good order for that.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2012, 09:08:20 pm »
Try a bit of wd40 on the carbs where the cables attach if that does not work then maybe a little oil down the cable not as easy as it sound best I have found with out a cable oiler of a Plasticine mould is just to open the throttle wide then drip a little oil on it and close it slowly and opposite on the other cable but would try the carb side first
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2012, 09:32:46 pm »
Not to sound thick but in equal measures sounding think. We're is the cable at the carb end. I have both workshop and fazer manual. If I simply follow the cable would I find it there ? Now that really does sound thick.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2012, 10:08:35 pm »
There are two cables, one opening and the other closing the butterfly valves, they go to the pulley middle of the carb assembly so you'll need to lift the tank to get a good view of what's going on. Check neither cable has any significant slack, I found the adjuster nut on one of mine had loosened enough for the cable to get dislodged recently and that gave symptoms similar to what you're describing.
Oiling the cables is a fiddly job, but well worth doing. I find engine oil best, WD40 and 3in1 are a bit thin.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2012, 10:28:13 pm »
Having just lifted the tank could it be that I have snagged something ? I will lift again and check! I will make sure all things are clear but other than what's obvious anything else.

As a point of intrest when I lift the tank it leaks but it is a very full tank and I did not shut of the fuel.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2012, 04:49:32 pm »
Hi,

Called local Yamaha dealer who said use 3-in-1. Job done from the top end. Once it has been left to soak how do I get to the bottom end to mop any lube that has run through the cable? I have the workshop manual if anyone can point to the right page.

Any tips on how Reseat the throttle cables ? Although it did seem to find a natural place.

Cheers