Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:17 pm

Author Topic: Restricting for A2 rider?  (Read 5618 times)

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Restricting for A2 rider?
« on: 11 November 2015, 08:06:56 pm »
Hi, dose anyone out there know the new rules about restricting bikes for people with A2 licence? I've been told that my Fazer 600 is to high brake horse power for new rules?????
A rolling sausage gathers no gravy!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Restricting for A2 rider?
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
Unrestricted it would be at 95 horses, A2 is 33BHP.
Restricted then it would be fine, just remember that you would be using 33 horses on a bike designed to use 95, i.e. weight etc.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2015, 08:57:31 pm »
Aged 19 and over you can ride a bike up to 47 Bhp (hence the new Honda range). If a bike is to be restricted to comply with the A2 licence then it can be no more than double the restriction i.e. 47 x 2 = 94 Bhp unrestricted - the Fazer is 95Bhp so they are right, it's too powerful by 1 feckin Bhp  :'( .

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2015, 09:11:13 pm »
Think this has been discussed before?
In theory if you got a 600 dyno'd it would be highly likely to be under 94bhp so if restricted would actually be legal?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2015, 09:36:43 pm »
Always thought it was based on manufacturers claimed figures for unrestricted. If you dyno a Hayabusa with a sock in the airbox then it'll pass!!

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2015, 09:41:27 pm »
That sounds Bloody typical! Ive kept my Fazer 600 too give to my son and now its seems its no good!!!! AGH! :'(

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2015, 10:16:20 pm »
It's also about power to weight I think, my son in law just got a sv 650 restricted to 47 bhp,  insurance did not seem to bothered about the certificate  but he keeps it under his seat in case he gets a pull.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2015, 10:19:39 pm »
Proves what i know! :o
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2015, 10:35:10 pm »
Still confused?????
So can I get my Fazer restricted for my son? How or where can I get an official definitive answer?? If the Fazer is no good then I need to find out what his options are and think about just keeping the fazer for me. Not that I have a problem with that its just going to cost me!!! as sons always do. lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2015, 10:42:35 pm »
Quote below

A2 Medium Motorcycle TestThis test must be taken on a minimum of a 395cc motorcycle with a power output of between 25 kW (33bhp) and 35 kW (47bhp).When you have passed the A2 licence you can ride any machine of any cc but it must produce no more than 35 kW or 47bhp, you can carry passengers and ride on motorways.(please note that the maximum power to weight ratio is not allowed to be more than 0.2kwh per kg, also any bike that produces more than 70kwh or 94bhp in standard factory issue CANNOT be restricted down to 35kwh)

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2015, 10:46:27 pm »
so its a no then. bo*@^*ks! :'(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2015, 10:54:57 pm »
Makes sense really....a..to stop people forgetting to fit the restrictors...or skidding on a banana peel and the restrictors falling out.......and b....a massive heavy bike (not saying fazer) restricted to barely any hp is plainly dangerous.

The bike rules change all time butbi reckon these ones are here to stay for a while now especially with manufacturers making bikes specifically for the new rules
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

drewblez

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2015, 10:59:57 pm »
well in that case can anyone tell me what a 1999 fazer with a replacement 1999 engine in is worth? lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2015, 11:05:04 pm »
Worth a try in the "For Sale" section fella.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 November 2015, 06:52:00 am »

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2015, 09:46:30 am »
Still confused?????
So can I get my Fazer restricted for my son? How or where can I get an official definitive answer?? If the Fazer is no good then I need to find out what his options are and think about just keeping the fazer for me. Not that I have a problem with that its just going to cost me!!! as sons always do. lol

See this thread.  :thumbup

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2015, 09:56:58 am »
Never looked into this before....Sad times

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2015, 12:28:07 pm »
Still confused?????

Looks promising, but who do you believe, Yamaha or the government guidelines?
Easiest way for sure would be to ask an insurance company I s'pose, because there'd be no point in taking a chance with the Yamaha guideline then finding out nobody will touch you with insurance!
My guess is they'll sway with the government rules.

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2015, 04:15:07 pm »
About two years ago I restricted my old 98 600 for my ex-son-in-law, he had no issues with insurance and they seemed to recognize that it could be done with a FZS600.

Got the intake restrictor disks from a recognized company (can't remember their name) easy to fit and he said at the time that acceleration didn't seem too compromised but when it got to about 85 it would stop pulling hard but would still pull up to about 100.

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2015, 04:15:46 pm »
Still confused?????

Easiest way for sure would be to ask an insurance company I s'pose, because there'd be no point in taking a chance with the Yamaha guideline then finding out nobody will touch you with insurance!

Insurance companies don't ask what type of license you have its either provisional or full and I would assume A2 falls under full.

Also as long as young drewblez keeps a certificate something looking official under the seat saying restricted to 47 ponies in the unlikely event he was to get pulled it would see most off and unless plod had a rolling road up his ass he wouldn't be able to tell either way.

OP do it.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2015, 04:50:48 pm »
Still confused?????

Insurance companies don't ask what type of license you have its either provisional or full and I would assume A2 falls under full.

Also as long as young drewblez keeps a certificate something looking official under the seat saying restricted to 47 ponies in the unlikely event he was to get pulled it would see most off and unless plod had a rolling road up his ass he wouldn't be able to tell either way.

OP do it.

Agreed. You can buy restrictor kits and get it restricted with a certificate, and the insurance companies likely won't ask. Was the same issue on the hornet forum, that technically puts out 95hp so is literally just over the maximum but a lot of people have had it restricted anyway and had no issues

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 November 2015, 04:52:26 pm »
Still confused?????

OP do it.

Agreed. You can buy restrictor kits and get it restricted with a certificate, and the insurance companies likely won't ask. Was the same issue on the hornet forum, that technically puts out 95hp so is literally just over the maximum but a lot of people have had it restricted anyway and had no issues

Plus on the above link Yamaha quote it at 93hp anyway so you're sorted!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 November 2015, 05:16:27 pm »
I would be more concerned about the insurers using any means possible as an excuse not to pay out, rather than be worried about the police.
But yeah I agree, keep a laminated copy of the Yamaha document handy and go for it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 November 2015, 06:15:42 pm »
According to the DVSA list of motorcycles in the link that darrsi posted earlier it seems quite clear to me that the FZS600 Fazer has been recognized by them as category A.

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 November 2015, 06:40:12 pm »
According to the DVSA list of motorcycles in the link that darrsi posted earlier it seems quite clear to me that the FZS600 Fazer has been recognized by them as category A.
So going off that one could ride a street triple 675 restricted obviously on an A2?

Fact of it is it's one big mess and no one including the sour faced maggots who implemented and mindless drones who enforce don't understand the new rulez.

My advice would be ride what you want but don't take the piss a fireblade obviously isn't A2 legal.  ;)
« Last Edit: 12 November 2015, 06:45:06 pm by CaptainCazador »