Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:11 pm

Author Topic: Front forks  (Read 2186 times)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
Front forks
« on: 25 February 2012, 09:41:21 am »
Been out in the shed changing the front fairing this week, anyway whilst the front plastics etc were off I decided to change the front fork oil, on doing the job I found the springs were fitted upside down, can anybody explain this, is it a mod I haven't heard about. the roads are still quite crappy here so I have not had a blast out to see if the springs being the right way round will make any difference. So anybody care to comment as to whether it would make that much difference.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Front forks
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2012, 03:59:08 pm »
I take it the FZ6 springs are progressive? Shouldnt make that much of a difference, particularly if you thought the suspension worked ok before you took the forks apart.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2012, 07:38:14 pm »
Normally the more tightly wound end of the spring is at the top to minimise the unsprung weight. However, the equivalent of an extra turn or so of spring material is only going to amount to a few percent of the mass of the wheel/axle/tyre/brake and all the other suspension components that have to follow the lumps and bumps of the road.
I'd certainly reassemble them the right way up, but wouldn't expect to be able to tell the difference on the road.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2012, 03:51:08 pm »
 :thumbup  thanks for the replies, I did fit them the way they should be on re assembly, didn't know if it would be noticeable or not but thought if the manual says that way then thats the way they should be, hopefully get out in the next couple of weeks.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.