Date: 01-05-24  Time: 10:44 am

Author Topic: Front Brake judder  (Read 5274 times)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Front Brake judder
« Reply #25 on: 29 August 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
So today,

Checked headstock bearings and seem to be ok but will change them if I can't solve it by doing other easier/cheaper things first.

New front wheel bearings arrived today so displaced front calipers and spun the wheel, seemed to spin freely enough for a couple of rotations then slowed to a stop. Anyway removed front wheel and dust seals and one of the bearings was definitely on it's way out, very gritty to turn between fingers and had slight rust deposits on it. I fear this has been my fault as when I got the wheels powder coated I had to put in bearings before I could have the tyres fitted... However I washed, dried and sealed the wheels before putting them on the bike... I obviously got water on the bearings... every day is a school day, won't be doing that again!

Anyway, New bearings in and refitted front wheel, lightly spun it and thought it was never going to stop spinning!! A huge improvement! Put the calipers back on and the wheel didn't spin much because of the resistance from the pads. Took it for a run and still the same problem although not so sure it's a pulse through the lever as much as just juddering and shaking the front fairing and mirrors and feeling it through the pegs and frame...

Shame it hasn't helped but I'm glad I changed it as it was definitely needing it!

I'm going to replace the rear wheel bearings as they were also washed before being refitted and the chance of one of them being rusty etc is fairly high and for my own piece of mind I want to replace them. It might make no difference to my problem but then it might, if the rear wheel bearing isn't happy then by using the front brakes the weight is taken off the rear wheel so if it's resonating and not turning right it could be translated to juddering through the frame... maybe...

Not going to have a chance to do anything with the bike for the next week but will let you all know if I come up with anything. Pad retaining springs also arrived today darrsi but didn't have a chance to try that as I'd already started the bearings and just wanting to change one thing at a time so I know what the problem has been.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 August 2015, 06:47:01 pm »
That's definitely a must only doing one thing at a time otherwise you'll tie yourself up in knots.
Springs got to you quick, fair play to the postal service.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 August 2015, 06:59:54 pm »
That's definitely a must only doing one thing at a time otherwise you'll tie yourself up in knots.

Yeah, they did a good job! Thanks for posting them so quick, just ran out of time to swap them and try them today.

Chris

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 August 2015, 07:47:41 pm »

Yeah, they did a good job! Thanks for posting them so quick, just ran out of time to swap them and try them today.

Chris

I really don't think they'll help at all to be truthful, but at least it'll be another thing to rule out.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 August 2015, 09:42:26 pm »
Good luck in sorting yer bike mate keep us informed :thumbup
omnia causa fiunt

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 September 2015, 05:40:06 pm »
Did you get to the bottom of this Chris?

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 September 2015, 08:09:27 pm »
Hey darrsi,

Unfortunately not had a chance to get near the bike since my last post. Ill health and then working a lot of extra night shifts at the moment just haven't had the time. Weather is looking better the next few days and I finally have some time off so might get a chance to do something with it. The nice weather might be spent giving the cars a good deep clean and protection before winter sets in though!

Cheers,

Chris

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 September 2015, 09:44:08 pm »
I've had front brake judder on mine at times, as the bike slows under braking it starts as speed drops to about 20mph and gets worse as it comes to a stop, the only thing I can put it down to is washing the bike and getting detergent/ washwax/ insect remover/polish on the discs, I only wash it now in winter if it's salty and Im careful not to get any cleaners on the brakes and this has stopped the juddering.
I mainly use Mr Sheen for cleaning the insects off now although it might take a couple of goes if they dry on and WD 40 to get any chain lube of the rear wheel/swingarm, making sure not to spay near the brakes, spray it onto the cleaning cloth when near the discs, hope this helps.
PS still on original pads with 44k miles on the clock.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 September 2015, 09:47:47 pm »
I've had front brake judder on mine at times, as the bike slows under braking it starts as speed drops to about 20mph and gets worse as it comes to a stop, the only thing I can put it down to is washing the bike and getting detergent/ washwax/ insect remover/polish on the discs, I only wash it now in winter if it's salty and Im careful not to get any cleaners on the brakes and this has stopped the juddering.
I mainly use Mr Sheen for cleaning the insects off now although it might take a couple of goes if they dry on and WD 40 to get any chain lube of the rear wheel/swingarm, making sure not to spay near the brakes, spray it onto the cleaning cloth when near the discs, hope this helps.
PS still on original pads with 44k miles on the clock.

Crikey you must brake like Fred Flintstone with your feet!  :lol

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 September 2015, 10:55:35 pm »
I find the simplest way to check if head bearings are maybe loose is by having the bike on the ground, push it forward a bit then pull hard on the front brake lever.
If they are not tightened up enough then you will hear and feel a knock.
Obviously if they were not torqued as they should be then braking force would cause a juddering sensation because of the play.

A bit like when you get a loose wheel on a shopping trolley!

Another easy way to check your steering head bearings (A little more subtle  :eek )

Lift the front wheel off the ground (on centerstand and sit someone/thing on the pillion seat probably easiest)

Gently turn bars from full lock to full lock. If there is any play in the bearing it will self centre. (Kind of drops into the centre with your wheel pointing straight forward)

Not very exciting was it, but effective!
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 September 2015, 11:13:42 pm »
I find the simplest way to check if head bearings are maybe loose is by having the bike on the ground, push it forward a bit then pull hard on the front brake lever.
If they are not tightened up enough then you will hear and feel a knock.
Obviously if they were not torqued as they should be then braking force would cause a juddering sensation because of the play.

A bit like when you get a loose wheel on a shopping trolley!

Another easy way to check your steering head bearings (A little more subtle  :eek )

Lift the front wheel off the ground (on centerstand and sit someone/thing on the pillion seat probably easiest)

Gently turn bars from full lock to full lock. If there is any play in the bearing it will self centre. (Kind of drops into the centre with your wheel pointing straight forward)

Not very exciting was it, but effective!

Or let me ride your bike, I'll whinge like mad.  :lol