Date: 27-04-24  Time: 23:26 pm

Author Topic: few quick FZ jobs done..  (Read 3574 times)

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
few quick FZ jobs done..
« on: 26 July 2015, 07:13:44 pm »
So my PCV should be here next week so started on a few things I want done before fitting.
Gutted the cat out, easy enough and didn't take long.
Modded the air box and fitted k&n, only issue is the top half of the air box lid did not seat 100% flat to the bottom. Should be ok though....
Fitted new front discs and pads yesterday too  :D
Smaller flies to go on when they arrive,  will do them at the same time as the PC.
So any of you that have fitted the same filter notice the air box lid not sitting completely flat?

To become old and wise you have to have been young and stupid......

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: few quick FZ jobs done..
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2015, 08:25:11 pm »
I have a k&n fitted and the airbox fits perfectly.
First thing I would do is take it out again and refit just to make sure it is sitting correctly, mine is a very snug fit.
Check the rubber (?) moulding round the filter , see if there any small extrusions or such left from the moulding process

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2015, 08:36:08 pm »
I have a k&n fitted and the airbox fits perfectly.
First thing I would do is take it out again and refit just to make sure it is sitting correctly, mine is a very snug fit.
Check the rubber (?) moulding round the filter , see if there any small extrusions or such left from the moulding process
I took it out checked and back again many times, will take it out again and check as you say for any excess left round the edges  :)

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2015, 08:57:55 pm »
Mine has never fitted properly but it makes no difference once the top cover is on.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2015, 09:16:44 pm »
Mine has never fitted properly but it makes no difference once the top cover is on.
But if the top is not down fully it could be pulling air in through any gap, dirty air.
I will have another look tomorrow.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2015, 09:25:28 pm »
I would try taking out the filter ad then see if the lid fits on properly and that will narrow down what is causing it.

Always just seemed as simple as a kinder egg to me...2 halfs join together and then screw up tight.

One of my screws has no purchase must have bored out the other end but apart from that the box sits flush.....there must be something trapped......unless when you took it off you jumped about on the lid before refitting then i cant figure it out.......weird!
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2015, 07:44:12 pm »
Well I took the lid off again and checked and tried many times but still the top won't sit 100%. Take the metal plate off the filter and it's fine..
Well it's back in and tightened down as good as it's going to be  :rollin
Took the bike out for the 1st time since removing the cat and fitting the k&n.... sounds great  :D

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2015, 08:43:49 pm »
It is a nice induction roar with the K&N....i dont like having a tank bag now coz it muffles it a bit :lol

Bit strange with the plate.....not saying you would do but only thing i can think is that you put the filter in upsie down perhaps......trying to rack my brains now....silver plate sits flush with the writing "top" upwards but confusingly at the bottom of the filter where the screw goes into.....i think.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2015, 09:16:49 pm »
It is a nice induction roar with the K&N....i dont like having a tank bag now coz it muffles it a bit :lol

Bit strange with the plate.....not saying you would do but only thing i can think is that you put the filter in upsie down perhaps......trying to rack my brains now....silver plate sits flush with the writing "top" upwards but confusingly at the bottom of the filter where the screw goes into.....i think.

It's ok I doubted myself even trying the filter the wrong way round  :lol
It's all coming off again soon for the flies so I will have another look but guessing the metal plate is slightly too wide...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2015, 07:23:56 pm »
There was a thread on ill fitting k&n filters a couple of years ago, can't remember the outcome, but it seemed a bit common.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2015, 07:24:34 pm »
There was a thread on ill fitting k&n filters a couple of years ago, can't remember the outcome, but it seemed a bit common.

I found a couple of threads on US forums discussing this issue, not many answers to cause other than grind the metal plate down....
I have taken a few mm from the edges of the plate that are in the area it won't close and yes it's better but still not as nice as it should be... Makes no sense at all, lots of head scratching...
So the plate is there to hold the filter down sooo is it now not being held down correctly....
I give up with this chap,  not had problems with k&n before but not happy with this at all  :rolleyes
Will probably order a Bmc.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2015, 08:32:09 pm »
seems strange that I could order a K&N for my FZ1S though and it fits fine though and yours doesnt....defo head scratchy for sure as youd expect a company like K&N to have the same product quality across the board...actually I  will go and say that they do.

so that leaves a difference with the bikes then......so did Yamaha subtly modify the air box over the years....or is there a difference between the Naked and the faired models for example.

actually mike is yours an S or N model????

what year is it?

did you specify a K&N for your exact year and model ie 2008 S or N???

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2015, 08:48:07 pm »
seems strange that I could order a K&N for my FZ1S though and it fits fine though and yours doesnt....defo head scratchy for sure as youd expect a company like K&N to have the same product quality across the board...actually I  will go and say that they do.

so that leaves a difference with the bikes then......so did Yamaha subtly modify the air box over the years....or is there a difference between the Naked and the faired models for example.

what year is it?

Mines 2007 N, just checked and the eBay item was listed for 2008 faired but is same part number for 2007 N etc. YA-1006.
Should have sent it back but thought I would live with it but now it's very irritating   :\

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2015, 09:16:29 pm »

what year is it?

Mines 2007 N, just checked and the eBay item was listed for 2008 faired but is same part number for 2007 N etc. YA-1006.
Should have sent it back but thought I would live with it but now it's very irritating   :\

I would hazard a guess at that being the issue......probably different on the S models....quite why they would be different is anyones guess but again I would guess at that being the case somehow.

can you find the part number for an S model filter and see if it is different.....if it is the same then that blows my theory out the water.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2015, 09:20:45 pm »

what year is it?

I would hazard a guess at that being the issue......probably different on the S models....quite why they would be different is anyones guess but again I would guess at that being the case somehow.

can you find the part number for an S model filter and see if it is different.....if it is the same then that blows my theory out the water.

They are the same part numbers  ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2015, 09:27:33 pm »

what year is it?

foc!!!!

you broke it :b

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2015, 09:30:36 pm »

what year is it?

foc!!!!

you broke it :b
:'( :'( :'( :'(
 :lol

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2015, 06:32:01 pm »
Sooooo the filter issue. ..
Tried 3 k&n on 2 different bikes (2007&8 ) same problem with all 3. All dimensions on the k&n were the same as a oe filter other than one..... The groove that goes round the bottom of the filter to locate the filter in position in the box is too shallow, around 2-3mm so therefore the lid will not close fully.
Cutting the plate is a very bad idea to get the lid closed as when you do up the centre screw it pushes the plate down to close the gap and lifts the filter out of position.
Just doing the lid up and accepting the gap is also a bad idea as I did this and tested with grease spray and it was easily making its way in soaking the inside of the lid.
Got a Pipercross today and it fits perfectly  :D
« Last Edit: 04 August 2015, 06:32:39 pm by Mike01 »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2015, 09:56:24 pm »
Well at least you found the problem :) , strange how the k & n fits ok on some FZ1 and not others, that would point to poor quality control by k &  n.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2015, 07:08:48 pm »
Fitted my K&N air filter today - fits a treat - airbox bolts up no problems ..... just saying  :)
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2015, 07:14:42 pm »
Fitted my K&N air filter today - fits a treat - airbox bolts up no problems ..... just saying  :)

Coolio   :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2015, 07:37:48 pm »
:thumbup