Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:26 am

Author Topic: Renthal Bars  (Read 3141 times)

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Renthal Bars
« on: 20 April 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
Evening all

Possibly another daft question if you know what your talking about but I don't so here goes.....

Just ordered and received some Renthals
And they have turned up but don't have the lug holes for my bits and bobs to sit in ?

Is this normal ?

Also I don't think I can install bar ends on these bars ?
Thanks

Danny

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Renthal Bars
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2015, 04:47:59 pm »
Ignore the end bar comment just after advice about lug holes to locate my switched and throttle etc

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2015, 04:48:56 pm »
Danny, simple way round this, you've got two choices.

1. You can drill the bars for your location dowels to secure the switchgear.

2. File the towels off the switch gear, and wrap a layer of tape round the clamp areas where the switch gear sits.

Option 1 is the 'factory' way of doing it, but unless your 100% happy with measuring, drilling and positioning everything in the right place first time, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Option 2 is the easiest, and the only adjustable way, and I'll guarantee it you won't get the bars right first time.

As for bar ends, the I/d of Renthals is 13mm, so you'll have to buy some bar ends. Just a few quid off fleabay. 8)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2015, 04:53:19 pm »
Ok Steve

Aslong as that's the normal thing to do I am happy with that. I presume the tape is just something for the bits to grip onto therefore can be any tape ?

Danny

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2015, 05:00:27 pm »
Yep, that's perfectly normal. Done the same to about 1/2 dozen pairs of Renthal bars over the years.

If you file/trim the dowels until they're just proud of the housing, they tend to grip the best. As for tape, well I've used electrical tape and self amalgamation tape, but the best I found was zinc oxide tape! It is however white, and takes some careful positioning and trimming to be hidden.

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2015, 05:02:53 pm »
Brilliant thanks again Steve something new learned again. Not a great idea to come off your bike but it certainly gives you some great knowledge putting it back togther !! Lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2015, 05:09:01 pm »
No worries dude, get some Piccies up with the result when your done. 8)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2015, 08:55:37 pm »
As a follow on to this but more in the way of why go down this route?
I have standard bars and after a few hours of riding start to ache on the heel area of my hand where the schipoid knox armour is although not coursed by this.

If i rotated my standards bars forward a bit does this change the geometry in any way, anyone tired it? what  does the renthal bars do thats different?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

zed6

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2015, 09:22:12 pm »

what  does the renthal bars do thats different?

Add streetfighter etiquette of course ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2015, 09:26:28 pm »
Ive never felt the need to change they are fine for me (OEM) fit.
The renthals seem such a faf and frankly a bodge job to get them to fit
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2015, 09:29:50 pm »
I have standard bars and after a few hours of riding start to ache on the heel area of my hand where the schipoid knox armour is although not coursed by this.

If i rotated my standards bars forward a bit does this change the geometry in any way, anyone tired it? what  does the renthal bars do thats different?
It won't necessarily, (I don't think but others might say differently) change the geometry of the bike, but it will change your geometry as you'll be leaning forward more, putting more strain on your wrists as they'll be taking more weight of your body. It won't seem as if they are, but it's easy to try, just adjust before you go on next big run, take the allan key with you as you'll prob want to change it back before you get home.
I've ridden sports bikes, tourers and all sorts in between, and I would say the best riding style is as upright as possible,  thus causing no strain on your wrists what so ever. Hence tourer bike riders aren't under as much strain as a sports bike rider.
You could also try bar risers as apposed to moving the handlebars forward or back, this would in turn raise your body posture and also release the strain in your wrists as they wouldn't be taking the weight as much.
I know I went on a bit, but you can't really give info like this in two sentences.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2015, 09:35:14 pm »
Do the job properly - it's not hard.
Get the bars clamped on but loosely. Sit on the bike, and adjut them until thye feel completely natural.

Once they do - find out how wide you want them (as you can cut them down to make them narrower. Once you've done that, measure the holes from the end of the standard bars, and drill the holes in the same place.

Voila!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2015, 09:59:40 pm »
Do the job properly - it's not hard.
Get the bars clamped on but loosely. Sit on the bike, and adjut them until thye feel completely natural.

Once they do - find out how wide you want them (as you can cut them down to make them narrower. Once you've done that, measure the holes from the end of the standard bars, and drill the holes in the same place.

But you wont know whats fully right untill you have been on a good 2 hour ride
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2015, 10:11:43 pm »
Ive never felt the need to change they are fine for me (OEM) fit.
The renthals seem such a faf and frankly a bodge job to get them to fit

I agree and wanted to sort it with out buying other things

It won't necessarily, (I don't think but others might say differently) change the geometry of the bike, but it will change your geometry as you'll be leaning forward more, putting more strain on your wrists as they'll be taking more weight of your body. It won't seem as if they are, but it's easy to try, just adjust before you go on next big run, take the allan key with you as you'll prob want to change it back before you get home.
I've ridden sports bikes, tourers and all sorts in between, and I would say the best riding style is as upright as possible,  thus causing no strain on your wrists what so ever. Hence tourer bike riders aren't under as much strain as a sports bike rider.
You could also try bar risers as apposed to moving the handlebars forward or back, this would in turn raise your body posture and also release the strain in your wrists as they wouldn't be taking the weight as much.
I know I went on a bit, but you can't really give info like this in two sentences.

Cheers I'll have a fiddle, oerrrr misses.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
But you wont know whats fully right untill you have been on a good 2 hour ride

Or a bad 2 hour ride if you've got them wrong :rollin
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2015, 10:30:34 pm »
Renthal 758's have less sweep than standard bars, and for some are comfier.

My r1 bars are motocross bars and are almost straight. For me they're a lot better than standard.

As per everything, it's just a matter of taste and personal preference.

Macca4786

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2015, 10:51:59 pm »
I have bought these as I sent my bike down the street on its side. I was quite happy with my old ones until they where pointing the wrong direction