Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:48 am

Author Topic: Steering wobble  (Read 5936 times)

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Steering wobble
« on: 13 December 2014, 10:28:26 am »
Yesterday morning I discovered a wobble in the handlebars. I was coming up to a red light and coming to a stop but for some reason took both my hands off the bars and sat back. When the wobble came into the bars I grabbed them again and let out an almighty ripper  :lol

So I replicated it after the lights. Took my hands off the bars and sure enough after 2-3 seconds and good amount of wobble in the bars.

Everything I've read would seem to indicate steering head bearings?

Are they a pig of a job to do? Is it DIY'able? I got a quote of €150 for top & bottom bearings but for a pair of uprated bearings with 3 year guarantee from a friend of a friend who has a shop.

What would I need to give this a bash myself or could there be any other cuplrit to that kind of wobble? Thanks

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Steering wobble
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2014, 10:40:17 am »
Can be head bearings or worn tyres can cause it or heavy top box.  That price doesn't sound too bad

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2014, 11:06:29 am »
My mate helped me change mine and it certainly was a pig of a job from memory, i think the main problem was getting the old lower bearings off.
If you lunge the bike forward with the front brake on can you hear and feel a knocking sound? There is a small chance it may just need tightening up if there is.
Uneven fork oil could also cause a wobble, or what about the fork settings on the adjusters at the top, if one was set totally different to the other i s'pose it could possibly cause an issue?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2014, 11:57:16 am »
Put the bike on its centre stand & put weight on the rear of the seat to raise front wheel now move the bars from left to right with two fingers slowly this should be a smooth action if not this indicates worn head bearings also check front wheel bearings for play.     

reddave101

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2014, 01:37:05 pm »
could be a couple of things. Have you had your wheels balanced? has a weight fell off? Wheel bearings could be worn, oil degraded in the forks or headstock bearings. All these are easy enough to do. headstock bearings are easy enough their is just a lot of disassembly but pretty straight forward..
It's not a speed limit it's a target

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2014, 07:19:48 pm »
There's quite a few Fazers do this, and There's a few threads on here about it.

2 out of 3 of my Fazers have done it, regardless of tyre wear, bearings, and balancing. I couldn't find the cause.

I solved it by just not letting go of the bars and living with it as mine was slowly progressive, and not immediately violent. Didn't effect the bike normally though, and I did a lot of mileage like this.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2014, 10:17:03 pm »

2 out of 3 of my Fazers have done it, regardless of tyre wear, bearings, and balancing. I couldn't find the cause.

I solved it by just not letting go of the bars and living with it as mine was slowly progressive, and not immediately violent. Didn't effect the bike normally though, and I did a lot of mileage like this.

I think it does mention this in the Hot Poop section........if you can find it?

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2014, 08:20:16 am »
Mine does this too, but I have checked bearings and it isn't them. I think it's more to do with weight distribution ie lightening up the front. The steering stays fine until any slight imperfection in the road surface causes the wobble to start. With the weight being mainly over the back wheel the wobble just gets worse. The weight factor isn't helped by me being big and usually having a full top box.

If you do the couple of tests above and there is no play then just try riding holding the bars :D

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2014, 11:42:04 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. So I can add a bit more info..

I did the test moving the handlebars from left to right - smooth as a babies back side! One finger from left to right with zero distortion.

Tyres - I have a set of Pilot Road 3's on the bike since May 2013, around about 4,500 miles done on them.

Forks - my dust seals are looking quite worn, it's a job on the to-do list but there is no leakage so it's on the long finger.

Weight - well I weigh about 110kg and I've a large givi top box on it (52L I think) that usually has a gym bag and waterproofs stuffed in it.

I don't usually take my hands off the bars but I was just wondering if this was going to be the start of a bigger problem.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2014, 04:00:18 pm »
If it's not causing you any problems and is a waggle of the handlebars and not a proper tank slapper I wouldn't worry about it

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2014, 04:07:49 pm »
I bet my dogs nuts it's the usual front tyre issue, often happens about the mileage you have, only way to solve it is put a new tyre on BUT if it is the tyre it won't get any worse and will only manifest itself when you release the bars so I wouldn't bother

Jonesy

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2014, 12:12:02 am »
Some bike are just prone to it because of their design. If there's no obvious damage or wear you probably don't have a problem I'd say most Fazer's bars will wobble at certain speeds if you take your hands off. I saw a good video on it a while back explaining it. I'll have a look for it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2014, 08:09:31 am »

This is when a wobble becomes a problem.  :eek

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2014, 12:21:52 pm »

Yep they do.  I my experience it's nearly always knackered standard rear shocks even cheap, worn or poorly set up after market types will give you the same result.  The standard unit fitted is total crap most are shot from about 8k I had one bike in with only 2k and it had given up the ghost!

Its the damping that fails mainly the gas side, owners then start racking up the spring to overcome the lack of damping.  This effects the steering angle which is already steep, if memory serves me right it's the same as a 916 Ducati the end result they get very skittish.  Its also possible that the standard shock is just not adjustable enough to suit riders weight or kit/pillions they carry. One of the biggest improvements you can make to the early Fazer, or just about most bikes to be honest is fit a good quality after market shock. 

As it happens I've just sorted a blokes 13 plate, 5k Bandit 650 out, he was complaining of the bike feeling unstable, very vague feed back on the brakes and felt as if the front end was going to let go.  He'd taken it back to the stealers who told him its just the way it is the only cure was to buy a bigger bike, he was at the point of doing just that when he spoke to me.  He's about 14 - 15st, and carries his Mrs I recommended a quality shock with the correct weight front/rear springs and I set it up for him, immediately he said there was a massive improvement the issues he'd had had all gone, he tells me it's a different bike!  :D

The whole lot cost less than £600, somewhat cheaper than a new bike!

Later

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2015, 01:07:24 am »
Had this on my 02 foxeye when I got it, turned out to be a combination of worn steering head bearings and a worn front tyre that had been run at too low a pressure, so caused some very odd wear pattern, the bearings being worn wasn't apparent until I took the front wheel out and turned the headstock, could feel the notch then. Replaced the tyres, front and rear, for bt 023's and also replaced the bearings myself, 4 hours, one hour for the bottom bearing and 3 for the top but did it, not had a problem since. My handlebar wobble was always at 40 mph with hands off, below or above that speed, was ok, handling is much better now anyway :-)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2015, 07:44:16 am »
Yep, same for me, '01 FZS 600, 40mph, wobble.  Everyone seems to mention the same symptom at the same speed, must be an "enhanced feature" of the Fazer.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
must be an "enhanced feature" of the Fazer.

Its not read my post above.
Later

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2015, 02:41:09 pm »
I have this on my 02 fazer & also had it on my Diversion 900. Only happened after I added a rack & top box on both. Maybe it will or it wont but a steering damper may solve the problem???

Flak

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Speed Triple 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2015, 02:59:23 pm »
The only time I've experienced anything like this was with an extended and loaded tank bag and had a slow weave at anything above 60.
FZS600, Speed Triple 1050, FZS1000, DT175MX etc.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2015, 10:10:50 am »
Had it on mine a couple of times. Once was due to top box (crank up rear pre-load to fix that one) and the other was down to tyre wear. New tyres of the same type didn't have the problem.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again