Date: 28-04-24  Time: 18:10 pm

Author Topic: Possible New Bike  (Read 2750 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Possible New Bike
« on: 14 January 2015, 11:29:44 am »
The wife is offering to buy me a new bike to mark a milestone birthday I reached recently.....problem is I just can't bear to think of getting rid of the mighty Fazer thou. Being a fair weather biker I don't go out often enough to justify and have the luxury of having two bikes so the Fazer would need to go.

I have been given a decent budget but it would need to be way better in all departments for me to even contemplate it.

Been looking at KTM 1290, ZZR1400, Hayabusa, Z1000SX, Speed Triple R, Tuono V4R, BMW S1000R......probably all better on paper but maybe not justified for my needs of Sunday scratching.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Possible New Bike
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2015, 11:50:38 am »
BBB...fairly sure you need an MV Augusta Brutale 800RR like this  :D Happy to help.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2015, 12:02:58 pm »
The Speed Triple is probably the only one on your list I would consider. All the rest (to me) are too committed rather than fun to ride bikes.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2015, 12:16:44 pm »
BBB...fairly sure you need an MV Augusta Brutale 800RR like this  :D Happy to help.

Not into those spokes.......... and I wouldn't want to clean them.  :(

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2015, 01:54:36 pm »

I did think about the 1090 Brutale RR Corsa or Cannonball....but don't know that much about them...and its outside of budget
« Last Edit: 14 January 2015, 02:19:26 pm by bigbluebear »

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2015, 02:54:31 pm »
You know you want a ZZR1400  :lol
Its just a ride

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2015, 03:43:43 pm »
I'm off to view a Aprilia Tuono at the weekend. Anyway, back to you Ol' yin, how about a beautiful Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport Rosso? Ideal for what your on about... I would love one myself, but I have not yet reached an age where I can spend £10k on a bike and not bother. I'm getting there though!
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2015, 04:14:33 pm »

Fair weather rider? I'd be looking at the KTM 1290, the Tuono V4, or the S1000R. All nutter bikes, and would be perfect for sunny day blasts. If you want a bit of longer distance touring - ZZR1400 would be my preference, although the SX a close second!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2015, 04:56:38 pm »
Yes, you could replace the Fazer. But I've chosen a different route, and will go for a Street Triple as a second bike whilst keeping the Fazer. If I sold the Fazer, I could up my budget and consider some of the bikes you're thinking about, but for a Sunday scratcher, I want something smaller and lighter. Something that I can use more of the available power on more readily, and can flick through tight twisties. I would never get rid of the Fazer just because I could afford something newer and different. It's winter now, and my mind turns to other bikes too, but on each of the rare occasions I've got out on the Fazer recently, I've realised I don't need anything else, and still love it to bits. There is no replacement for it, only different stuff, and that's what I want to try, so I'm gonna have my cake and eat it  :lol

Plus, I still want the Fazer for longer trips, touring etc. Plus, it's now Ivanised, has the R6 rear shock, and is soon to get an R1 front end. I'm not doing all that just to sell it! And if I replaced it, I'd probably read up on the replacement and find I want to start throwing money at upgrades on that too, so where the foc does it all end?!

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2015, 05:48:28 pm »
im having a similar canundrum,new bike or keep my beloved Fazer....

ive been offered early voluntery retirement from work and im going to take it,after 33 years on the post,my old knee's are knackered,so im planning on taking 3 or 4 months off and get down the gym and get myself fitter and get my quads back in place,which will get my knee's sorted,all the while keeping my eyes open for a job (been offered a possible job that starts in mid april,so the gym thing might be a short thing !! )

so,my canundrum ( is that how you spell canundrum ? ) is,if and as long as,i get at least a part time job to cover my rent/bills then i can afford to buy the new MT 09 TRACER that has caught my eye outright, but having only been back on a bike for a year,im still enjoying the simple fun that i had last year on my Fazer,which i spent a few quid on and have a R6 shock due to be fitted soon  ( which i'll sell seperate to the bike if i go for the TRACER )

guess i'll just wait untill the TRACER arrives in the showrooms and have a test ride which might make my mind up

good luck with your decision BBB  :thumbup

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2015, 06:52:43 pm »
Can't remember which one but one of the bike magazine road test said the Tracer has a whiff of the old Fazer 1000 about it.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2015, 08:03:58 pm »
Looking forward to hearing what real people think of the tracer,  on paper looks great

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2015, 11:15:20 pm »
I'm just about to buy a third bike - one of the new Tiger 800s for some serious touring. Also keeping the Speed Triple for mucking about on sunny days. And I will never ever get rid of the Fazer. It's like a pair of comfy slippers. After 42K miles it will just have a more gentle time  :)

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2015, 12:38:38 am »
I have talked to a few owners of the bmw s1000r (naked version) and some have been touring on them and some have just been out sunday scratching but all have said wot an amazing bike it is fit a taller screen like some of the folk I've talk to have and u'll have a comfy bike with plenty of grunt (160bhp) I reckon it's the best bargain bike on ur list...and more than capable of replacing the fazer....
Rexr.

Keep it simple......stupid..!!!

peterjca

« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2015, 02:19:07 pm »
I have talked to a few owners of the bmw s1000r (naked version) and some have been touring on them and some have just been out sunday scratching but all have said wot an amazing bike it is fit a taller screen like some of the folk I've talk to have and u'll have a comfy bike with plenty of grunt (160bhp) I reckon it's the best bargain bike on ur list...and more than capable of replacing the fazer....

I have a red (the fastest version) S1000R Sport sat next to my gen2 FZ1. Haven't made up my mind whether to sell the FZ1. The S1R is fantastic. Enjoying the ride immensely  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2015, 06:07:58 pm »

I have a red (the fastest version) S1000R Sport sat next to my gen2 FZ1. Haven't made up my mind whether to sell the FZ1. The S1R is fantastic. Enjoying the ride immensely  :)

Interesting. Would you say the Fazer does anything better than the BMW? Curious as to why you would have two bikes that to my limited knowledge sound similar, both aimed at the same niche, albeit the BMW being the more modern bike. I get the feeling that if I owned those two, the FZ1 would go to make room for something entirely different.

peterjca

« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2015, 08:26:52 pm »

Interesting. Would you say the Fazer does anything better than the BMW? Curious as to why you would have two bikes that to my limited knowledge sound similar, both aimed at the same niche, albeit the BMW being the more modern bike. I get the feeling that if I owned those two, the FZ1 would go to make room for something entirely different.

I've been riding the gen2 since 2006 and this year I just wanted a change. I ride all year round, commuting most days (unless ice, snow or very strong winds) and the FZ1 fulfilled that role and leisure riding too. But I had that inevitable feeling of wanting a new set of wheels. I was in lust with Speed Triples for many years and expected that to be my new steed until the S1000R appeared along with the usual press adulation. I wanted another naked, test rode the S1000R and it was love at first ride. The bike appeared in November and I've been running it in only when dry. I'm not a fair weather biker, just delaying the time the S1000R becomes covered in crud.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the FZ1, it's similar to the S1000R so in that sense, yes, I'm not sure why I'd keep it. It's quick and handles well enough but is old hat now. Sadly Triumph missed a trick too with the Speed Triple as that has aged - a new model to appear in 2016 apparently.

I wanted something new, exciting, fun, another all-rounder but more state of the art. The S1000R Sport fits the bill for me: handles supremely, sticks to the road, is incredibly agile and nimble, stunning acceleration, powerful brembos, lovely plush suspension. No one seems to be buying the base model S1000R so the dealers are stocking the Sport version: this comes dripping with electronics (DDC semi-active suspension, dynamic traction control, ABS, quick shifter, riding modes, heated grips, cruise control(!)).

Can't wait for spring when I'll have more chance to get to know this bike a whole let better in nicer weather.

Essentially, it was time for a change and the itch has been satisfied  :) Isn't this the whole point of motorcycling?
« Last Edit: 15 January 2015, 08:42:02 pm by peterjca »