Date: 24-04-24  Time: 23:28 pm

Author Topic: Taking my bike off the road  (Read 1621 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Taking my bike off the road
« on: 01 January 2015, 03:52:02 am »
After the issues with the ignition switch and as the bike has 75k miles on it I have decided to take it off the road to give it some TLC, so to replace it I have bought a PIaggio X9 500 scooter, after my accident I still have issues with my knee and foot so a foot foward riding position will be beneficial till I get back to strength. I managed to buy a cat D 02 reg for £431 and all I need as far as I can tell is a number plate holder/ mudflap and a number plate. I will probably be off the fazer for a year as I will need to strip down to the frame as there is a lot of rust coming through, I will miss her though but I need to do the work now before things get worse.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Taking my bike off the road
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2015, 07:11:37 am »
Sounds a good project but a year? , get into it summer is a long way away yet :)

Good luck
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2015, 09:24:07 am »

good luck solo, both with the scoot and the fazer. projects take time, pretty much always longer than planned. healing takes time too.

bike magazine stated with authority that restorations tend not to be finished unless people show these three attributes:

- wealthy
- organized
- energetic

it stuck in my mind...
is it clean enough?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2015, 02:44:25 pm »
Well the scoot is turning out to be a pain, typical Italian electrics and stupid design, the regulator is goosed and they are a common thing to go, the power stand doesn't work nor does the headlights, as to the design PIaggio were clever in that they fitted a power main stand, but not so clever in that they didn't put a means to use it manually, but the other stupid part of the design is the oil filter is right above the main stand which is in the up position. Also there is an intercom system that works occasionally and the instruments are not very waterproof!!!
I'm glad it was cheap as I wouldn't want to pay top price for this bike in its present condition. So I have 2 projects.