Date: 01-05-24  Time: 05:13 am

Author Topic: buying an 04 600  (Read 7093 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
buying an 04 600
« on: 26 January 2012, 11:31:56 am »
I'm going with a friend to look at an 04 600 fazer as he is interested in buying it (I'm a thou man myself)

Details are :
Yamaha Fazer 600 (FZ6) 04 plate (2004)
16 valves 6 speed.
2 owners from new.
Liquid cooled.
Fuel injection
1479 miles from new.
After market electronic immobilizer.
Electronic display.
Electronic start.
Belly Pan.
Twin Exhausts under the seat above the rear brake light.
Never been rode in the wet.

Anything we should look out for? any tips,tricks or tests? (don't really know anything about these bikes)

actually...not some one on here selling it is it?  :lol

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: buying an 04 600
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2012, 12:55:57 pm »
I'm going with a friend to look at an 04 600 fazer as he is interested in buying it (I'm a thou man myself)

Sorry for off topic:

Isn't a 2003 FZS600 (carbed one) better deal than a 2004 FZ6 (injection model)?
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

Sorry for off topic:

Isn't a 2003 FZS600 (carbed one) better deal than a 2004 FZ6 (injection model)?

don't know...you tell me  :D . I don't know nowt about 600s but yeah, i would go for the carbed one. the guy I'm going with actually used to have the carbed version.

I thought the fuel injected ones had fueling probelms?

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2012, 11:14:46 pm »
I've got an 04 600 as my commuter. I ride it in all sorts of sh!tty weather and don't give it half as much tlc as it should get - but it's reliable (touch wood), hasn't had any problems, has got 9,000 miles on its rear tyre and has zero fuelling issues. Maybe I got lucky!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2012, 12:53:23 am »

Details are :
2 owners from new.
1479 miles from new.

WTF? '04 plate, two owners and only 1479 on the clock?? Is that a typo? If not, I'd wonder *what* it's being doing for most of the last seven years!

The FZ6 has a built in immobilizer, why should it need an after-market one?

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2012, 06:53:54 am »

Details are :
2 owners from new.
1479 miles from new.

WTF? '04 plate, two owners and only 1479 on the clock?? Is that a typo? If not, I'd wonder *what* it's being doing for most of the last seven years!

The FZ6 has a built in immobilizer, why should it need an after-market one?

i think it is a typo, that info was emailed to me. Glad you said that about the immobilizer....i thought they were factory fitted???

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2012, 03:53:53 pm »
Glad you said that about the immobilizer....i thought they were factory fitted???

It's called YISS or Yamaha Ignition Security System, basically the keys are microchip coded so you can't just copy them.

Talking of which check that the seller has the Red Key, because that's the one which is required to re-code the normal black ignition keys if you need to get a new one. If he hasn't that suggests something is dodgy (or, at least you'll need to replace the entire ECU at the cost of about a grand if you ever need a new key!)

Another thing that comes to mind is to check the bar ends, peg ends and edges of the mirrors for signs of scuffing, especially if the fairings look brand new because that could mean it's been up the road.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2012, 05:58:50 pm »
i could be wrong but cant you get some sort of alarm add-on (Meta?) to the factory fitted immobilizer? maybe thats what they mean by After market.

As i said before i know nowt about the FZ6 but i was convinced i read that they all suffered from fueling issues (low speed) and needed to be re-mapped??? maybe i dreamt it  :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2012, 11:12:18 pm »
My FZ6 has a Cyclelok alarm fitted which was, presumably, an aftermarket addition.

As for fuelling issues, I've never heard of that, it works fine for me!

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2012, 12:35:43 pm »
Well went to see the bike today, the mileage isnt a typo. Both owners are old boys who liked buying toys.

Its got a belly pan and crash bungs (the crash bungs factory fit...they look like it?)

Its in mint condition, proper show room condition. Its got the red key with it and also has a Meta Alarm fitted. (also got the attachment up by the headstock for a trickle charger to be plugged in).

My concern would be though that it hasnt really been run in. Any one got any info on servicing? i think the first one is at 4K? just wondering how much that would cost and how easy are they to work on?

Also my Thou has covers over the swing arm pivit bolt, obvoiulsy one on each side near where your heel sits. This bike doesnt......they not standard on FZ6?

Think the guys wants 3K for it and he will get it M.O.T'd but not taxed.

Cheers

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2012, 02:37:30 pm »
crash bungs (the crash bungs factory fit...they look like it?)

Do the bungs bolt directly to the frame or are they attached to "brackets" which then bolt to the frame (the latter are the actual Yamaha "roller protectors"

ISTR reading a while back that the ones that bolt directly to the bike risk cracking the frame. The brackets on the official ones are designed to break the bracket rather than the frame itself.

My concern would be though that it hasnt really been run in. Any one got any info on servicing? i think the first one is at 4K? just wondering how much that would cost and how easy are they to work on?

The first check is at 600 miles (what the manual calls the "break-in period") at which point the oil needs to be changed and the filter replaced. This should be documented in the Service Book (or Warranty Handbook as they call it).

After 1000 miles it says "the vehicle can now be operated normally" and the next service is at 6000 miles.

Also my Thou has covers over the swing arm pivit bolt, obvoiulsy one on each side near where your heel sits. This bike doesnt......they not standard on FZ6?

If you just mean caps over the bolt, no, I don't think the FZ6 has them as standard, certainly mine doesn't.

Think the guys wants 3K for it and he will get it M.O.T'd but not taxed.

Sounds like it could be a pretty good deal!

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2012, 08:19:18 pm »
The FZ6 does not come with caps over the swing arm pivot bolts and Yamaha did/does offer factory fit Meta alarms to their bikes. My last 3 Thous and my current FZ6 came with them (although I had them removed).
ALL fuel injected bikes come with fueling issues to some degree (IMO of course). Never ridden one that is perfect yet. The earlier models of all bikes tend to be worse though as this is the manufactorers first foray into the technology (e.g FZ1  ;) , and the earlier FZ6 both have this "feature")
I have an '09 FZ6 and so far its been a great bike. Just look at Nooj's 100k model.
Must say that £3k is a bit steep in my opinion. Personally I would say £2300-£2500 would be more realistic. To put this price into perspective, I will be selling my '09 for approx £3200 and that has 5k miles.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2012, 09:26:09 pm »
Must say that £3k is a bit steep in my opinion. Personally I would say £2300-£2500 would be more realistic. To put this price into perspective, I will be selling my '09 for approx £3200 and that has 5k miles.

As you can tell from the posts i don't really know very much about the FZ6 but as far as price goes i didn't think 3K was a rip off.....but i also didn't think it was the deal of the century. After a quick look on net i was thinking more £2700?

also, i can see why you guys do the headlight mod....bit dodgy that one head light i thought.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
Never bothered with the headlight mod myself as the one headlight puts out a more than decent beam. Not quite as good as my Gen 2 or MkII FZS600 but its more than decent.
Only thing that annoys me is I keep getting flashed and gestured at (by cars and bikes) advising me that I have a headlight out..........I fecking know!!!!  :)

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2012, 10:31:39 pm »
An advantage of one headlight is it makes it clearer when you do flash other road users. It looks a bit off but so many bikes have that setup these days it's becoming common to have just 1 light on.

Kenny

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2012, 06:30:13 pm »
As soon as he puts miles up on it it'll be worth far less, so I would do some serious haggling towards 2.5k as previously mentioned