Date: 28-04-24  Time: 06:23 am

Author Topic: 2008 FZ1S for sale.£3k.  (Read 12839 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 FZ1S for sale.£3k.
« Reply #25 on: 27 June 2014, 08:30:03 am »
I agree with most of the comments on here as I also don't think you've had enough time to get to grips with it....FFS you've only had it a couple of months.....a loaded up tour to Scotland will hardly let you gel with it......you mentioned blind left handers, well who comfortably belts it round them at speed......remember this bike has almost 50% more power than the original noggyfighter but you don't have to use it all to justify having a 1000cc bike.......if you downgrade you will wish you had that power back for certain situations......you got a cracking bike at a cracking price albeit with an Akro sticker and a Honda tax disc but you will NEVER get a replacement for the 3K you get for it, never mind being bikeless over the summer.......WAKE THE FOC UP NOGGY!!!!! :lol

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 June 2014, 09:34:06 am »
It's also a hard sell this time of the year I know I've tried lol, like others have said keep it this year and try and bond with it and if u still not happy at the end of the year then put it up for sale in the spring when u have a better chance of getting rid of it.
Rexr.

Keep it simple......stupid..!!!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 June 2014, 10:44:17 am »
It always kicks you in the bollocks when you buy summat and there's a few issues with stuff the previous owner has done...sours the deal and causes that knee jerk reaction that can make you want to just get rid.
But you still got a great bike at a great price bud, get to know it, have the last laugh by having a great biking year on it and getting to know it, by next spring if you still don't want it at least you will know you gave it a helluva shot..but.. By then you may well have found the sweet spot and incredible riding experience that these bikes can give you.. I've had many years of many bikes and my fz1s still blows me away from time to time.
Don't let the bastards grind you down nogster...apparently the Japanese have the same word for " problem" as they do for " opportunity", that's a hell of a good way to look at things... ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 June 2014, 11:08:10 am »

Cheers chaps.....as usual the foccers are wise & mighty & sharp of tongue........but lots of sense flows.......yous are all yodas :b .
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 June 2014, 11:51:22 am »
 :stop

Noggy, unfortunately they are all totally wrong.
I seriously think you should wait 2 weeks before you decide to listen to such soppy advice about keeping it.........which let's face it is a powerful and scarey bike which you admit is past your ability. I'd hate you to be another statistic.....

This will give others the chance to try and jiggle some shekles around and relieve you of this dangerous bike  :D :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 June 2014, 11:59:23 am »
You having a laugh Noggy?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I bought mine blind,,had it delivered,,was unsure at the beginning,,but i have had it two years now and it is still growing on me more and more ,

as for scary,,,well what a load of crap....do 600s not scare you?  can they scare you?  of course they can,,and a 600 can kill you just as easy.

It is a sexy , smart incredible bike, a real sports tourer,i am off to the Czeq republic soon for a spin,looking forward to it.

I hope you change your mind.

They get better and better the more you know the bike.

If it scares you ,,hold back a bit and enjoy.

Bill

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 June 2014, 12:08:03 pm »
:stop

Noggy, unfortunately they are all totally wrong.
I seriously think you should wait 2 weeks before you decide to listen to such soppy advice about keeping it.........which let's face it is a powerful and scarey bike which you admit is past your ability. I'd hate you to be another statistic.....

This will give others the chance to try and jiggle some shekles around and relieve you of this dangerous bike  :D :D

:evil :evil :evil

Well never say never......if a painless sale comes my way i could still be tempted, take your time mate & that will buy me some more time to get out there over the next couple of weeks...im on my holidays now and as usual it is pissing with rain.....then the sun will appear when i go back to work.

I've also got the noggyfighter to strip & sell plus i need to get my fat arse back to the gym or it'll be a pan european i need to haul me about.....so not a complete loss the rest of the year if i dont have a bike.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 June 2014, 12:22:28 pm »
You having a laugh Noggy?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I bought mine blind,,had it delivered,,was unsure at the beginning,,but i have had it two years now and it is still growing on me more and more ,

as for scary,,,well what a load of crap....do 600s not scare you?  can they scare you?  of course they can,,and a 600 can kill you just as easy.

It is a sexy , smart incredible bike, a real sports tourer,i am off to the Czeq republic soon for a spin,looking forward to it.

I hope you change your mind.

They get better and better the more you know the bike.

If it scares you ,,hold back a bit and enjoy.

Bill

Slim i wish you could have a shot and give your opinion on the bike as i only have the 600 to gauge it on.......by scary it is not so much the speeds that im going at but maybe just that it isnt set up properly for me.......the bars are shit and flat and i cant seem to get the leverage on them for countersteering which is in turn making the front end seem heavy......the back end is too foccin stiff and i don't have the shock preload adjustor.......ok so ive already pissed about with the suspension to try get it a bit better & maybe i should bring the yokes back up (but i cant do it now due the weight of the bike and only having a side stand :o ).....just to do more trial and error.....i could do with a proper garage setting it up for me but theres foc all down here by me so i've ended up just getting pissed off with it...for example the rear nitron compression is apparently the softest it goes...which is rock hard...& trying to turn the rebound blue annodised wheel on the bottom is fruitless although i can spanner out the nut just below it....in a nutshell ive lost the plot a bit & dont have a ficcin clue what im up to now :\ .

All i know is that the front feels heavy & the rear is too hard for me.....i might have a bit of a google about anywhere in south wales that could set it up but i dont know of anywhere.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Nog I've got some renthal ultra low fatbars and risers you can borrow if you wanna try wider bars for more leverage..I hadta do that on both my cb1300s...it is just tailoring the bike to you, every bodies different, speshully the welsh..... ;)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 June 2014, 12:37:43 pm »
Ps even changing tyres can give this bike a completely different feel..wish you were closer you could try mine on Pirelli diablos, I love em...

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 June 2014, 01:52:30 pm »
Noggy my good fellow it sounds like you have just received a master class from your old fella on the twisties. I have just got back from Germany and have had the same experience from the lads. So you tried to push the bike a little hotter into the corners (just as I did) and was more than likely in the wrong gear (I was) if not then its still the same issue get some mileage behind you on the bike (I learnt allot about my lack of throttle control on this trip) But when I was in unison with the bike it was a dream but was hell when my front end was twitching (I found myself saying relax and lay on the tank to stop me from tensing on the bars which made the difference)

We all have different riding styles and perception of risk but at end of the day your talking about it.

Do what is right for you mate

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 June 2014, 02:29:24 pm »
Yes, bars Noggy, i have just put the highest bars on that the brake pipe allows,i love the position,wider than original too.and turned back a bit towards me,i just cut 3/4" off the ends and have guards on both hands.

Anyway you have a £4000 bike there so savour it.

I rekon we GOTTA have a meet up in Wales and have a fun ride SOON.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 June 2014, 03:31:30 pm »
Sorry to hear you're not happy with the bike Noggy. But, the problems you are describing could be sorted with a few mods of your own. And let's face it, whatever you buy you're likely to mod to your own taste. Say you buy an MT-07 next year. They're currently, what, about £5500-ish? By the time you get one, they might well have crept up by a couple hundred.

Then, chances are, Yam have put budget suspension on it (how else do they release a brand new model at such a good price?), so you'll be looking to upgrade that, then maybe the bars won't be quite right for you and...see where this is going?

So you got an FZ1 with a good spec at a cracking price - you know from folks on this forum, who you've come to know and trust, that the FZ1 is a cracking good bike - but to you, this one doesn't seem so. So, why not invest a little of what you saved on the cost of buying it to make it "fit" you. You've already had offers of help in that regard, use em, and get this bike to where it should be.

And you've just gone from a lightweight 600 to a litre bike - bound to feel very different, so learn to adapt your riding style. Try things like moving around on the bike more to optimise cornering balance, lean towards the inside mirror, shift your bum off the seat a bit (you don't have to be knees and elbows on the deck to make a difference) weight the pegs with your toes, use your knees to push the bike over into corners on longer rides to save your arms from work etc.

I think that's the answer - adapt the bike to suit you, and adapt to the different feel from your 6, give it some time, and I reckon you'll figure out it's strengths and weaknesses (and all bikes are likely to have something about them you don't especially like), and start to enjoy it more.

Or just ignore me and everyone else and continue your (likely fruitless) search to find a bike that's set up perfectly for you from the get-go  ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 June 2014, 06:35:58 pm »

Armed with some new enthusiasm today i had a small fettle.......I'm still not happy though.

First of all i moved the bars about and got them right.....they were already ok but i just wanted to compare......then i very slightly fiddled with the front....i'm quite happy with the front.....it's the rear that is out.

Rear rebound is a mystery.......on the video i seen the shock is off the bike and the guy twiddles the little blue annodised thingy with his fingers on the bottom of the shock which clicks up and down......on mine though the thing wont budge and it is difficult to get my fingers on properly......but i can turn the 2 nuts directly below the blue adjustor which in turn moves the adjustor and the whole spring round and round , but i dont hear any clicking....so I've wound it downwards a bit anyway.......no real difference that i can tell.

Then I'm thinking i just don't like that the rear compression is fully wound out......it just doesn't sit right with me that it is on its full limit regardless of how i feel compression should be.

Anyway on a test ride it is the back end that is upsetting the bike......& me.....just before turning in the back end gets all unsettled over even the slightest bumps and focs up my line and it's the same mid corner...........my tiny brain translates this into it needs less compression.....but compression is all fully out........so i think foc it ill put on more just to see what it feels like.......i wind it half way on and go for a spin.......oooh doesn't feel too bad....could it even be better........then i take a big left in 5th gear doing a good speed......just took it earlier on at similar speed......the back wheel power slides what feels about a foot mid corner and settles down but scares the shit outta me....never had that happen before :o .......so half way was too much.....but at least it showed a result........so I'm gonna go 1/4 way instead and test that out tomorrow.

But the rear is still too crashy.......could it be as simple as the preload on the rear shock???........thing is i cant foccin adjust the preload coz i dont have the adjustment tool.....tried my 600 tool but it doesn't work either....bollocks!!!!!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 June 2014, 07:16:05 pm »

Armed with some new enthusiasm today i had a small fettle.......I'm still not happy though.

First of all i moved the bars about and got them right.....they were already ok but i just wanted to compare......then i very slightly fiddled with the front....i'm quite happy with the front.....it's the rear that is out.

Rear rebound is a mystery.......on the video i seen the shock is off the bike and the guy twiddles the little blue annodised thingy with his fingers on the bottom of the shock which clicks up and down......on mine though the thing wont budge and it is difficult to get my fingers on properly......but i can turn the 2 nuts directly below the blue adjustor which in turn moves the adjustor and the whole spring round and round , but i dont hear any clicking....so I've wound it downwards a bit anyway.......no real difference that i can tell.

Then I'm thinking i just don't like that the rear compression is fully wound out......it just doesn't sit right with me that it is on its full limit regardless of how i feel compression should be.

Anyway on a test ride it is the back end that is upsetting the bike......& me.....just before turning in the back end gets all unsettled over even the slightest bumps and focs up my line and it's the same mid corner...........my tiny brain translates this into it needs less compression.....but compression is all fully out........so i think foc it ill put on more just to see what it feels like.......i wind it half way on and go for a spin.......oooh doesn't feel too bad....could it even be better........then i take a big left in 5th gear doing a good speed......just took it earlier on at similar speed......the back wheel power slides what feels about a foot mid corner and settles down but scares the shit outta me....never had that happen before :o .......so half way was too much.....but at least it showed a result........so I'm gonna go 1/4 way instead and test that out tomorrow.

But the rear is still too crashy.......could it be as simple as the preload on the rear shock???........thing is i cant foccin adjust the preload coz i dont have the adjustment tool.....tried my 600 tool but it doesn't work either....bollocks!!!!!

Noggy, best thing you can do is ring up Nitron. There will be a code on the spring, ring them up and ask what weight rider that's for. If that's not close to yours then no matter what you do it'll be hard to get the bike handling anywhere near right!

With regards to the rebound at the back, that blue dial should just click around. If I'm reading you right, what you're doing is adusting the shock height (pretty certain the Nitrons have height adjustment). To be honest mate I'd likely be getting a centrestand fitted so you can take the shock off and make sure it's all working as it should be!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 June 2014, 08:39:30 pm »
Fucking hell Noggy,,you power sliding now,and you dont like it  :eek

you ae my hero     :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 June 2014, 09:06:59 pm »
is he keeping it or not? as much as i like the lad every one of his threads is a wall of text! LOL

Well to be fair it wouldnt be a forum if there wasnt any text now would it fizzy :pokefun

Ive got an idea.....get yur wallet out £££££££

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 June 2014, 09:22:05 pm »
Relating to riding position
I went renthal 755 mid rise on triumph risers
So bar height remains the same but the bars are more comfort able
I have a penske in mine and it was like a rock
I backed all the Preload off and slowly added till I had comfort and ride
I didn't do sag as pointless as my arm is stretched
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 June 2014, 09:23:55 pm »
Keep it! I bought my FZ1 a month ago after having a gen 1 1000 for six years. I am still getting used to it but the handling is so much better, the front feels really planted. I do find the back end feels a bit hard but have not played with it yet.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 June 2014, 09:39:24 pm »
Thanks geezers

I think ill take a trip to a garage tomorrow and see what tools they got ie something to get the rear pre load adjusted & while im there ill get them to put the yokes back up to the top of the forks just so im on a level for starting off plus that will buy me that little extra clearance should my belly pan get close again.

Sunday should be half decent weather for a blast to check it all out hopefully.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28 June 2014, 04:43:37 am »
Wasn't there a thread on here about bonding with your ride. Perhaps Exups idea of bonding is the way to go. :b

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 June 2014, 07:57:14 am »
Noggy, your dilemma can be simply solved with a re-spray.

Your bike is RED, the fastest colour, and as a result it's a bit much for you.  For a couple of hundred quid you could have it sprayed BLUE problem solved, you get all the benefits of a great modified thou but without the fast speed! :D
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 28 June 2014, 08:26:02 am »
Noggy....slow down  a minute!
First off youve gone from the "comfort zone" of your 600 to a somewhat modified FZ1 that was, we presume, set up for its previous owner.
Now before you decide to sell,take a loss & possibly leave yourself BIKELESS :eek for the foreseeable future why not invest a bit of time & energy getting the bike set up for your height/weight/riding style/preferences?
This may involve a bit of expense but it might only be a case of a few minor adjustments to transform the ride.
Also be honest with yourself- are you trying to run before you can walk so to speak. ie your riding style may need fine tuning.
When you were following your Dad into bends were you expecting the thou to behave the same way as the 600?
Dont know how long youve been riding/how many different size bikes youve ridden but, unlike generic cages , they all have their idiosyncrasies and, as others have pointed out, it takes time to bond.  In the meantime remember.... Slow in -Fast out!

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 28 June 2014, 10:14:02 am »
Just my tuppence worth but if you're not happy with it Noggy, continue with the sale. If you regret it later there are plenty around at reasonable money so you could always buy another. Not that I think you would as I reckon the one you have has put you off them. For some reason it seems like you are having a hell of a job setting it up which is strange as it really shouldn't be that difficult. By that, I mean that maybe you have a 'Friday afternoon' bike. On the other hand maybe the bike is fine but it's just not for you.

If you decide to buy another boxeye (if you continue to strip and sell yours) you will potentially have around 4k to play with. You might even decide to get another boxeye as they seem well suited to you and vice versa. That will leave you with a massive wad in your pocket and a bike that you know you like. Lets face it, you can get a corking boxeye for £1500 and a nice foxeye for a little bit more.

I also wouldn't bother with an MT07. An MT09 is another story though  :evil
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 28 June 2014, 11:18:00 am »

I completely agree with almost all of the comments here.......all have an element of the truth to them......the fact is i took the punt on the FZ1 without knowing whether it would be for me or not......& i dont think it is........here i am sat on a saturday morning with a beautiful bike sitting in the shed and i dont want to ride it......that speaks for itself really......it is very quick but that isn't actually equating to more fun......just increased stakes & when going at normal speeds it just feels like bimbling and is therefore boring....whereby on the 600 you can feel quick at more legal speeds.....yes my dad did show me up a bit......but I've ridden with him on the 600 and had no issues....I've even led on it and had him struggling on some corners.....that was fun.......so it's either me or the bike.

Ok so I've only had the bike a couple months....but ive done a few thousand miles in that time.........i feel I've ticked the box in that i've at least tried a thou.....but I'm not all that impressed by it as a complete package....& there are so many bikes out there to give a chance to.....ok so ill lose £500 on the sale but like i say i think I've had £500 worth out of it....& i get £3k in my bank.....& id rather sit out the rest of the season than do more miles on a bike I'm not having fun on....& id rather someone else was enjoying it....my little fazer has bog standard and ancient budget suspension and i still have fun on it...that's the level of riding i enjoy......i can always pick up a rat bike to see me through the season if needs be.

& in the meantime ill try to like it.......maybe ill have a perfect ride out or get a bit of sport and think hey it didn't do bad there or whatever....it may never sell anyway but id rather have it up for sale now just incase it takes a while for it to sell.

Maybe it does just need a good setting up...probably does....but i've just got pissed off with it really....I'm sure you've all been there....no matter how much sense you read it doesn't change the feeling....a dark cloud over what should be fun.

So who fancies the challenge????............anyones wallet coming out yet...come and prove me wrong about my thoughts?