Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:01 pm

Author Topic: Got R6 rear shock fitted and fronts reworked LIKE A DIFFERENT BIKE!  (Read 1596 times)

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

Got the R6 shock from Luke fitted over the weekend and fronts adjusted to my weight and riding style! I am shocked by the transformation in handling! There is so much feel now with confidence to lean in turns and the shocking front diving disappeared!

I am more surprised by the fact that the suspension company only topped up oil in front and adjusted it properly leaving stock front spring and now this set up with R6 rear works brilliantly. It must have been that better rear allows front to work better as well. I was ready to get new front spring but turned out there was no need.

My bike is 2005 so went for braided brake lines in front. That transformed the braking experience as well with better feel and razor sharpness. If anybody is considering this mod do it as part of new fluid exchange. Worth it!

Very happy Fazer biker!

Paul
« Last Edit: 22 June 2014, 07:20:39 pm by Krezi »

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
result
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
I am more surprised by the fact that the suspension company only topped up oil in front and adjusted it properly leaving stock front spring
How much did they charge you though for "topping up the oil and adjusting the static sage via the preload"

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
they originally quoted me 250 EUR for full front rebuild including new spring, air gap, seals and set up

It turned out that I didn't need it in the end and paid 300 EUR for the following jobs -fitting rear shock, adjusting front with oil etc, front braided lines with brake fluid change and fitting heated grips

Paul

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I'm still really keen on the idea of upgrading my suspension, just to see what the bike could be like if nothing else. The funny thing is, I don't have any problems with the stock set-up on mine - pushed it real hard in Wales yesterday and there was no wallowing or getting out of shape. But I guess I would like a quicker turn-in (still haven't got around to dropping it on the forks  :rolleyes), and think maybe decent upgrades could make it a bit more nimble in the twisties - it can be hard work doing quick left-right-lefts. But then, there's some satisfaction to be had from that too.

My last 3 gen 1s didn't seem as good as this one - rear shocks were awful; tidied up on my last one by fitting a Hagon item. It seems I may have got a bike that just happens to be set to my liking (pretty firm all round) without having to touch anything for myself.

But yeah, R1/R6/Nitron stuff appeals...

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
I'm still really keen on the idea of upgrading my suspension, just to see what the bike could be like if nothing else. The funny thing is, I don't have any problems with the stock set-up on mine - pushed it real hard in Wales yesterday and there was no wallowing or getting out of shape. But I guess I would like a quicker turn-in (still haven't got around to dropping it on the forks  :rolleyes ), and think maybe decent upgrades could make it a bit more nimble in the twisties - it can be hard work doing quick left-right-lefts. But then, there's some satisfaction to be had from that too.

My last 3 gen 1s didn't seem as good as this one - rear shocks were awful; tidied up on my last one by fitting a Hagon item. It seems I may have got a bike that just happens to be set to my liking (pretty firm all round) without having to touch anything for myself.

But yeah, R1/R6/Nitron stuff appeals...

You might not have had any issues Nick, but stick some proper stuff on it, and you will never want to go back to riding a bike with standard suspension.

I had the same on my hornet, it felt like it handled pretty well to me. Got some money, put a nitron shock in, and was a bit dissapointed as it didn't immediately feel that different. However, the remote preload adjuster was worth its weight in gold, so I kept it on, and played with it a little which certainly helped. Came to sell the bike, off came the nitron and I again took it for a ride with a standard shock, and it was bloody horrible. Despite the spring rate being about right, the damping was all over the shot. It felt really harsh on the bumps and yet saggy and vague under acceleration. It had just taken me getting noticed to the decent shock to notice how crap the standard one was!

Had the same on my ZX9R, which had an acceptable rear shock to start with. Just fitted an ohlins though, and it's a different matter entirely!