Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:22 am

Author Topic: Lordy..where do I even begin to start....  (Read 10760 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Lordy..where do I even begin to start....
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2014, 07:49:57 pm »
Sorted the exhaust today. It's pays to never throw owt away lol, I still had some exhaust gasket rings from that 1170 elr I did up years back..welded up the holes in the bottom( how the fuck did that pass an mot the day before I looked at it!), cut two inches of the link pipe to shorten the whole thing and inch and a half of the back to expose the alu cone. Polished that up, riveted an old yoshi plate onnit, and prepped and painted. Much prefer the shape of it now, that old kerker megaphone look doesn't do it for me, looks a bit more Harris like now,and replaced all his dodgy fittings, and made a nice carbon tubed sleeved bolt for the rear.repacked it, it's a little quiet now, but still sounds lovely when it comes on cam. Unbelievably only one thread to sort out on this job( put a timesert in the cone) all the studs were good. Makes a nice effing change...strange thing is as much as I moan about working on this bike, I'm loving it. And I'm loving the bike, it's actually a lovely old ride on a summers evening.
Buying it and doing it up is coming in at about 1900 quid so far. Do I stop now? Probably not. These things become affairs of the heart, don't they. I'm bidding on a tail piece and z1 rear light, inevitably a paint job will follow. Why do we do these things...
It's getting a nice shape to it, this bike. Proper vintage muscle, looks kinda bunched up and punchy. Made penny sit through mad max the other night lol. She was more devastated about the goose smashing his bike up than she was about Max's missus and kid getting squashed by toecutter. That's my girl.....

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2014, 09:23:20 pm »
Done a bit of digging - it's defo the US model Z1000 LTD, or Z1100 LTD (depending on how old it is, or if it's had an engine swap).

The give-away are the "gills" in the chrome side panel (and the panels themselves) the big alloy footrest hangers, the tank/side panel line up (and shape) - and the single disc front end common to the US market cruisers, etc etc.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2014, 11:36:48 pm »
Cheers mate, appreciate that. A mate picked up on that too, the cam covers another giveaway...front half has them boxes above it, piped through for emission controls on Californian models..mines disabled, just got a link pipe between the two, gonna swap it out for normal uk z1000 cover just to keep the lines nice. It's deffo a 998cc, it'll never be anything other than a mish mash to the purists, but it's a good useable bike so I'll get the cosmetics a bit better. Gonna have a go at a Zthou paint job myself, though the vinyl graphics are bloody expensive..

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 June 2014, 12:16:23 am »
I'm about spent out nick. I'm thinking it's only ever gonna be a cheapo vintage short rides bike, so no more spendy......no tailpiece, and possibly no paintjob, if I get the pipe finished and a few other minor but necessary  bits and pieces and and get 1800 quid for it I'll just about break even and have done all the work just for the love of it..it's been a eye opener, decent spares are dead expensive, and you spend more time replacing bearings/ cutting new threads/ fitting timeserts than you do on the actual job you started.
Spend on more bits and decent paint I will very defiinately be out of pocket, and I want to get as much back as I can to fund getting a zephyr and doing more than just a tart up...

:pokefun   :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2014, 07:07:57 am »
Is there no end to this spending???? :eek         :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 June 2014, 10:07:42 am »
I know, I know....but I also know you fellow old timers get it.... ;)
http://youtu.be/8VvSvgh6X6s

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2014, 01:42:25 pm »
Z1 tail on, along with a kh250 rear light and z650 bracket. Much better overall shape...

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 June 2014, 01:49:50 pm »
Tailpiece was a bit duffed up with holes in it but it's getting filled and painted so not a prob. Made a start on cleaning the motah up..Genny cover had a small crack in it so a mates getting that welded, I've started with the wet and dries and polishing linishes on the other engine side covers..that 32 year old. Alu comes up a lovely colour....still enjoying it, but got a feeling the carbs will have some unpleasant surprises..them cvh diaphragms are fifty quid apiece and there's bound to be at least one out of the four that's been bodged judging by the other stuff I've found on the bike. New gaskets all round and fresh oil and filter, and numerous other small but time consuming jobs..

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 June 2014, 07:16:23 pm »

This bike will only ever be one thing..a very poor mans z1b rep. But that floats my boat...I was hoping to get it done including buying the bike for under two grand all in but it's gonna be closer to £2200-£2500 now I've decided to go the whole hog with paint..For that money I can justify keeping it.
Got a bit done over the weekend..stripped the tank back and only five small dents that have been filled over its 32 years..not too bad I guess.
Fitted a z1 grab rail..involved hours of fannying around getting it to sit just right including welding new brackets in exactly the right place, but well worth it. Anything that gives it a z1 look at a passing glance helps it's case. And it fits in with keeping the chrome muddie at the back. More hours spent polishing engine cases and side plates. And a few with a dremel and countless brass cup brushes polishing the engine..I want it to look clean but I don't want it to lose it's authentic patina...and I deffo don't want it to end up looking like a tarts hand bag... Just want it to look used but loved. As it will be.
Some small touches that lose it's last tenuous links with its previous life as a lardarse cruiser...got shot of the chrome trims on the airbox, chrome horns, and painted the emissions boxes on the rocker cover black...their obviously still there but nowhere near as noticeable. It's getting there blokes..been vying between the kh indicators in the rear and the bulbous Zthou ones on the front, but dumping them for the smaller kh items front and back. Need to make some alu plates to replace the to tomasselli headlamp ears, sort the Rear footrests etc etc but it's not far of ready for paint..just gotta fill the holes in the tail and prep it. Centre stand will be one of the last things to go, it's been damn handy....