Date: 10-05-24  Time: 18:10 pm

Author Topic: air compressors  (Read 2730 times)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
air compressors
« on: 03 April 2014, 10:53:02 pm »
So Aldi have the air compressor and tools, are they actually useful for home use or just a novelty toy
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: air compressors
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2014, 11:16:59 pm »
Really where? Do you mean Lidl?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2014, 12:42:05 am »
No Aldi they were bought in a couple of weeks ago i think but some are still in. the compressor is 79 quid
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2014, 02:02:54 am »
I bought on from aldi netto or lidl or whatever a few years ago and for the infrequent type use it gets its fine.

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2014, 07:28:12 am »
My son bought a Lidl one, it gets used for jobs on the bikes (he has 4 bikes and I have the Fazer) and car. Whether you buy one or not depends on what tools you get for it and what jobs you are prepared to carry out.  For us there have been some jobs where it has been fantastic, for example undoing clutch baskets nuts and seized nuts on front sprockets, that said it takes up space in the garage and isn't one of those tools that gets used everyday. Overall I'd much rather have it than not.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2014, 09:24:46 am »
Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I figured it would be best to expand this one for future searches :)

I'm looking in to adding an Air Compressor to my list of garage tools but I know basically nothing about them when it boils down to choosing the right one.

I will probably end up with an array of tools to suit jobs such as sanding, spraying, undoing stubborn bolts (impact driver basically), cleaning, cutting and maybe even drilling (though that's less likely). So I definitely plan on making use of it.

Are there certain brands I should aim for or avoid? Does capacity really matter? They seem to range in price from £80 - £1000+ which is quite a significant range - I'd prefer something to be in the £150-£250 range (the lower the better ;))

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2014, 10:35:35 am »
Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I figured it would be best to expand this one for future searches :)

I'm looking in to adding an Air Compressor to my list of garage tools but I know basically nothing about them when it boils down to choosing the right one.

I will probably end up with an array of tools to suit jobs such as sanding, spraying, undoing stubborn bolts (impact driver basically), cleaning, cutting and maybe even drilling (though that's less likely). So I definitely plan on making use of it.

Are there certain brands I should aim for or avoid? Does capacity really matter? They seem to range in price from £80 - £1000+ which is quite a significant range - I'd prefer something to be in the £150-£250 range (the lower the better ;) )

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/news/air-compressors-buyers-guide.html

Highest CFM and Biggest tank you can get for your money as a small tank will empty very quickly when using air impact guns e.t.c.

Mine has a 50ltr tank 3.0hp motor and a free air delivery of 7.8cfm but it's still not really up to a lot of what I use it for.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 10:39:18 am by karlo »

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2014, 10:50:46 am »
I have a small 240 volt compressor with a small tank  tbh I only use it for clearing out my car nowadays !

just sent it up as an air gun open all the doors remove all the carpets ashtray etc. and blast from one side to the other then back the other way ! lazy yes effective ? very ! just a quick go over with the hoover after it get all the little dust spots and bits wedged in corners out !

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2014, 12:39:11 pm »
brilliant wee things, great for cleaning chainsaws when servicing them, and the bike when there are areas  you cannot reach, inflating tyres, nailing, spraying--just a general all round good piece of equipment to have in the garage. :pc

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2014, 01:50:36 pm »
Thanks for all the speedy advice :)

I think I'm having to revise my budget a bit to accommodate future use; but I have successfully found a decent compressor for circa £290

It's not a purchase I'm going to be making immediately, but it pays to do research in advance ;)

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 02:07:02 pm »
I know where there's a

CLARKE AIRMASTER 10/60 8.8CFM 2HP 50LTR tank comes with da , air drill , air saw , and any other items I can find fitment gauges etc £150 ONO

but It's in Chesterfield.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 02:09:00 pm by karlo »